The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Q: Grill insert above chin spoiler? (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=21997)

JUSTTOHAVE 07-09-2018 09:09 PM

Q: Grill insert above chin spoiler?

Hello all, I have recently purchased my first Saleen, PJ-458. It's a driver with quite a few miles but I like it. I am wondering if the PJ came with any kind of grill/mesh in the opening above the chin spoiler. If they did, does anyone have one or know where I can get one? Much thanks.

Dave 07-10-2018 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi! Congratulations on your purchase.

Are you asking about this area (see attached photo). If so, then yes... there should be a mesh insert in the area.

JUSTTOHAVE 07-10-2018 06:48 PM

Thank you Dave. Yes, that's the spot. Any ideas on where to find one?
Mark

Michaelt55 01-02-2021 10:22 PM

Mesh insert, where to find?

I am also looking for this insert, where can I find one?

Dutch-Twister 01-03-2021 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michaelt55 (Post 150838)
I am also looking for this insert, where can I find one?

+ 1, and if possible the round ducts as well

Dave 01-03-2021 12:24 PM

All of these parts are obsolete.

jrcalvin 01-04-2021 05:29 PM

PJ lower grill mesh insert

The lower grille mesh is no longer available from Saleen...if it ever was.

After a few thousand miles the black mesh grill can get scratched and have bare metal showing. A normal Saleen owner would remove the front fascia which is pretty simple with 6 bolts plus the lower under shield and disconnecting the marker lamps, headlamps and fog lamps wiring. After that it is easy access to the lower mesh grill and mesh in the two brake duct openings.

But for the odd Saleen owner that just enjoys driving his Saleen rather than saving it for the next owner, there is an easier solution. Just mask all round the lower grill and spray paint the mesh with low gloss or satin black spray paint.

The 3 tabs in each brake duct opening uses 3 screws to attach the mesh. The lower grill uses some safety wire at several locations to fasten the mesh to the fascia. You may choose to replace all the wire mesh in the lower grill and the two brake duct openings. The wire mesh you want to buy should be 12" x 48" and is diamond mesh, expanded metal No. 18 which has diamond shaped openings 0.255" x 1.0". Finding it in black would be nice but you may have to paint it anyway. It is very flexible especially if you find it in aluminum. Gee,..... I think I will just mask and repaint mine!

Dave 01-04-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrcalvin (Post 150866)
The lower grille mesh is no longer available from Saleen...if it ever was.

The S197-based cars are old now anyway. Saleen would not have replacement parts for them.

Though, Saleen PJ Edition replacement parts did exist by-way-of the Saleen Speedlab catalog from 2007 through 2008. For all of 2007 you had to prove you owned a PJ Edition to buy wheels, emblems, fascias, decals, etc from Saleen.

Once Saleen Inc was blown up in October / November 2008 and after MJA purchased the parts inventory... some of the parts were wholesaled and wound up with multiple resellers.

The front fascia Heritage Edition screen kits were on eBay from like 2010-15. Sometimes the entire kit, other times individual items. Then still, there were times people were re-selling Hertiage / PJ items and had no idea what the part was... and these items would just be "lost" on eBay.

Original Saleen PJ /Heritage Edition parts are out there. Either in private parts collections or sitting in misc boxes collecting dust. Or... in a garbage dump if re-sellers gave up.

Dave 01-04-2021 06:15 PM

For reference here are the original Saleen part numbers for the PJ / Heritage front bumper screens.

06-1101-C14485A - SCREEN FRONT FASCIA AIR DAM - $79.99

06-1101-C14486A - SCREEN FRONT FASCIA BRAKE DUCT OPENING (NEED 2 PER CAR) $24.99 each

Dutch-Twister 01-05-2021 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrcalvin (Post 150866)
The wire mesh you want to buy should be 12" x 48" and is diamond mesh, expanded metal No. 18 which has diamond shaped openings 0.255" x 1.0". Finding it in black would be nice but you may have to paint it anyway. It is very flexible especially if you find it in aluminum. Gee,..... I think I will just mask and repaint mine!

Do you have a link to the "correct looking" replacement ?
Isn't the original mesh from plastic ?

jrcalvin 01-05-2021 04:01 PM

The mesh is easily bent so it is aluminum, not plastic and not steel It is "expanded metal diamond shaped and it is the "flattened" version. There are many sources. but the 12" x 36" size may be all you need for everything. here is an eBay link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/081-Aluminu...MAAOSwfcVUELzq