The Saleen Forums at soec.org

The Saleen Forums at soec.org (https://saleenforums.soec.org/index.php)
-   2005-2009 Saleen Mustang (https://saleenforums.soec.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Spark Plugs: Brisk vs HTO? (https://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=9471)

wiggywigton 03-06-2011 02:16 AM

Spark Plugs: Brisk vs HTO?

I was talked out a set of HTO's for a set of Brisk plugs. The Company rep says that they have had problems with the HTO's coming apart in S/C applications.

Is this true? They said it has something to do with the heads on the 4.6 L...

Did I just get duped?

THe nice thing about the Brisk's are that I can gap them myself using a normal gapping tool where the HTO's require that special gapping tool.

I finally pulled my car out of storage on Friday...yea!!!

redflagsc 03-06-2011 12:00 PM

because the 08 and up uses different threading on plug I used the FR ones gapped to .030. I also added the MSD ignition coil blaster packs and wow I was suprised it woke it up a bit! I didn't expesct plugs and coils to have that much impact. When do you return to the states?

wiggywigton 03-06-2011 12:06 PM

Right now I am looking for a job. Worse case, 1 Jul I will no longer be in the Army and we will live with my parents until I find something but I'm sure I'll find something.

redflagsc 03-06-2011 12:13 PM

Congrats and thanks for your service! Did you install your driveshaft yourself? Easy to do?

wiggywigton 03-06-2011 01:41 PM

Pretty easy install but had to get another shifter, Saleen's short throw hit on the DS and had to get an adj rear upper control arm because the one piece threw off the pinion angle (lowered cars) which caused a vibration above 100 mph.

06281E 03-07-2011 01:54 PM

I am running Autolite HTO gapped. I had an issue where i ran a mix of 100oct and 91oct and i had some misfire issues and pulled the plugs to find that one of the autolites was busted at the electrode, the metal actually broke off so i installed a new set of gapped autolites. I am thinking about pulling them out soon and going with a set of the brisk 3VR12S plugs and having the pregapped by Brenspeed at .032 and going with the MSD blaster coils.. I think the brisk looks like a nice alternative to the HTO plugs and is also 2 steps colder so might work out better..

Meikol02 03-07-2011 04:17 PM

Seems like it a choice between tuners...JDM has recommended HTO and Brenspeed has recommended the Brisk. I have the HTO plugs with 30,000+ miles. There are lots of guys that like the Brisk plugs (many are Brenspeed customers). I have just never tried them.

cdn_saleen05 03-28-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiggywigton (Post 51510)
I was talked out a set of HTO's for a set of Brisk plugs. The Company rep says that they have had problems with the HTO's coming apart in S/C applications.

Is this true? They said it has something to do with the heads on the 4.6 L...

Did I just get duped?

THe nice thing about the Brisk's are that I can gap them myself using a normal gapping tool where the HTO's require that special gapping tool.

I finally pulled my car out of storage on Friday...yea!!!

wiggywigton,

I am about to change the plugs...How are the Brisk in your opinion?
I am N/A. Like you, it is either Autolites (which I heard are 2 piece??) or the Brisk (which are one piece)Did you have any issues with removing the notorious TSB plugs breaking?
I hope you are enjoying the Saleen again..Still snow and salt here!

redflagsc 03-28-2011 09:56 PM

was not aware that from a certain point of 08' up the cylinder head changed somehow and you have to use the FR ones. (different size thread). Just in case it applies to anyone

Jason @ 281m 03-28-2011 10:12 PM

I can only say we've had great sucess with the HTO's for many years. I met the Brisk rep two years ago at SEMA as he was passing out fliers - struck me odd that they would be passing out fliers in the parking lot but hey who knows.

cdn_saleen05 03-29-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m (Post 53479)
I can only say we've had great sucess with the HTO's for many years. I met the Brisk rep two years ago at SEMA as he was passing out fliers - struck me odd that they would be passing out fliers in the parking lot but hey who knows.

Thx Jason!
These ones don't break off though?:eek: For N/A what is the gap at and do they come pre gapped or do I have to get the special gapping tool too?
cheers!

wiggywigton 03-29-2011 04:25 PM

I've been so busy I haven't put them in yet. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll report back. Gapping them to .032...

wiggywigton 04-03-2011 11:27 AM

Got them all installed.
Fired it up and notice a little surge below 2500 rpms. Did a couple of pulls and my AFR went from 11.7 to 11.3. I added 2 more degrees of global spark. Back up to 11.7 WOT. Still a little surge at the bottom. I'm going to add 1 more degree at the lower rpm. There is noticeable more throttle response...
I'll report back in about a week, to see if it effected fuel economy...

kenny_k82 04-03-2011 01:39 PM

Please let me know how that affected fuel economy, since my tune I'm getting 13/18 and I'm looking for any way to make it better.

wiggywigton 04-13-2011 02:33 PM

Reporting back...
Fuel economy is a little better. The car now reads 15.1 average MPG. I was ave about 14.8.
I now have a new surge issue starting at 1500 rpm. It wasn't there before, at least I didn't feel it. The company I bought them from says that the new plugs might have brought out a issue that the old plugs were hiding. They think it is a vacuum leak. I haven't been able to find one yet.
The only thing I can this that might be causing it is the separator. I've got to make it to ATU to get a new hose and see it that is the problem. I've dats logged it and can see the surge but I am not sure what is causing it.