View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert patrick View Post
By the way, does anyone have an idea of how much I should expect to get if I sold my PJ, no. 158, 3300 miles on it?
Maybe $35,000-$40,000 if you wanted to really sell it. Speak to Greg (saleenlocator). One problem with the PJ, dealers still have new ones. The plus side, most of those have been sitting outside for two-years. Making a used, garaged, pre-owned version a better buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Time will tell, in the meantime I think I'll hang on to my 99 S281 just in case the jury decides a true Saleen is only while Steve was at the helm.
True. Time is an interesting thing. Same was said about the 1965-67 LAX Shelby cars. Those were the "true" and the 1968-70 were not. Then, it didn't seem to matter. The Sterling, Gurney, and Dark Horse would be the three to watch. Second tier to watch could be the 2007-08 H cars. Third could be the 2007/08-09 S cars. Though at some point, this all gets silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
This article at edmunds is quite insightful...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=141288

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
Looks like Simisaleen was quoted in that article.
Chris Theodore seemed to have had a good head on his shoulders from the interviews he did. We do know there is a group of "fanatics" that will follow Steve Saleen anywhere and everywhere. Besides a bad economy, overproduction, and questionable pricing, the exit of the Saleen in Saleen, Inc did create a loss in customer base.

When McCammon gave his "relaunch" speech last year. That was the beginning of the end for the fanatics. "Saleen is more than man...", "we rested... took a nap... now we're going to have a performance assault like you've never seen..." blah blah. I'm not a "Steve is Jesus" enthusiast, but after record production during the S197 model and unmatchable performance numbers to that point... where was the nap? Ah, the web of marketing.

2008 was a relaunch that few noticed. Dan Gurney signature events that failed to attract Dan Gurney. I mean really. A moot point since few took notice of his SE car.

The plus side... the "fanatics" represent a fraction of the public. Not everyone with a Saleen vehicle followed the man or the company that produced it. So, a customer base does exist for the vehicles and various parts. So, MJ can produce a Saleen vehicle with success if they know how to sell to a performance oriented customer base. Whether they want to respect and give a nod to history while moving forward or try and do a 2nd act of the history wash like HP/ASC, is up to them. It can be an intense web, so if the name is never used on a streetcar again... it will not be a puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMcQueen View Post
...there will probably be a do-it-yourself kit...wonder if it will come with a dash/firewall placard...we will see...all hail SMS!
DIY kit. That would be a bummer. The neat thing about an SMS 460 Mustang, it will be different, it will be something new. If it remains an ultra-exclusive, premium lifestyle vehicle, then it will be an occasion when one is spotted. They won't be rotting on dealer lots. You're also seeing and purchasing another work by the legendary Phil Frank. One of the few things you can pre-order without seeing. You know it will look right.

If the economy picks up, if MJ has interest in producing Saleen vehicles, and has a budget for racing. That's what I would do. Instead of being Born of Racing... Be Racing.

Other than that... the battle of Country Club performance-inspired Mustangs, doesn't interest me. Then too... I'm not the customer base or age bracket for these vehicles.