View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015
Administrator

Default Saleen SSC (89-0036) Attacks The Nürburgring

By: DALE LOMAS on May 28, 2015
Original Article: BRIDGETOGANTRY.COM

As a guy who drives all the latest sportscars as his job, you might think I don't care about the older cars in the carpark. But nothing could be further from the truth.

But when I saw this perfectly-preserved Time Machine in the carpark at the recent GranTurismo Events trackday, I just had to share it...

89-0036SSC

89-0036SSC

Because in a car park full of amazing machines, this old '80s Ford really stood out. It's unconventional, it's old and at only one known example in Europe, it's also pretty **** rare!

It's a Saleen SSC, a track-ready, Fox-body Mustang with a 330hp V8. At first glance, you might be forgiven for thinking there's nothing simpler than this American iron. But there's some cool stuff here... check out the 'high-tech' suspension:

Built by Monroe, the damping rates can be controlled from inside the button. Three settings, Firm, Normal and Soft. It might not be much compared to todays active dampers, but I found it interesting!

Fitted as standard with a basic rear rollcage, and trimmed in matching white/black/yellow leather, it's like sitting in time machine. Albeit one powered by a Ford V8.

"The original leather seats are no good on track though," admits owner and professional Mustang fan Goran. "That's why I've fitted the period Recaros for this event."

89-0036SSC

I also suspect that rubber isn't period either, but let's not get pedantic over such a curious and interesting car! From the snake's head key-ring, to the graphic equaliser, this is a car with history.

As Goran went out for another lap, I have to admit I was a little jealous. This is a Time Machine I'd love to take a lap in.

89-0036SSC

[Source: BridgeToGantry]