View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Installing MM Panhard Bar - 1997 S281

I've always wanted to just go all out and get the whole Maximum Grip package from MM, but the cost isnt feasible, so i'll do pieces here and there. I've got MM Front SS brake Lines/Solid Rack Bushings/RLCA's, just recently replaced all bushings/tie rods/ball joints and saw an big improvement in that alone on my 97 GT Saleen.

Then got a chance to purchase a used PHB for a 99-04 car at a very cheap deal(i'm glad it was cheap as I would have been very unhappy with the condition at normal used prices). The main difference being the 12mm(79-97) v. 14mm(98-04) RLCA bolts. After the PHB got delivered it was missing a few bolts and could tell the mounting brackets needed help. Purchased a 12mm bolt for LCA and others missing form an online bolt supplier(grade 8+). Had to weld all but one hole on the mounting brackets shut and redrill in the proper area. Previous install was done incorrectly and the damage had opened up the holes(obvious damage from being loose). It also looked like installer drilled more holes in the bracket to make it fit, no idea?. Brackets were caved in from not using spacers, so everything need to be straightened back out. Got all that done in an afternoon, realized having a TIG is invaluable.

So after fixing the PHB, The install on the Panhard is actually pretty straight forward, MM has detailed instructions with pictures. Couple things I did notice is borla/saleen exhaust has to come out and there is interference with a fuel line mounting bolt on the inner passenger side frame rail.

Currently, I've installed the LCA/Shock mount bracket (also needed a little work to fix from previous improper install) on the driver's side and have pulled the exhaust after getting clearance problems. Next up is getting the actual PHB installed on the car, may have to purchase new frame inserts and spacers to get it properly installed. Hoping not, as it'll be ~15$ per side from MM.

I'm going to take some pictures to put up here on the progress, anyone else tackled this install themselves on a 94-98? PHB Install looks like a piece of cake, exhaust looks more involved but definitely possible, I enjoy a challenge!