View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtoo View Post
I love the idea of the new saleen truck I hope the prototype is just that a first rendering and the production get a much deserved attention that a saleen super truck deserves the s331 was victim the 07 economic down turn in my option more than any thing else .. well that and the fake vents on front fender. lol. Love ya Mr.Saleen who still have the most awesome super truck ever!!
I do not disagree with you.

One thing it keep in mind, by the mid-2000s, Saleen Inc had roughly 150 stocking 'Saleen Dealers' throughout the USA. If my memory is correct, each dealer had to stock one or two S331s. I believe this idea was also used for the Saleen Focus N20 & S121. For every X number of S281 Mustangs, a dealer would have to buy a Focus.

When Saleen as a company is humming along, whether the late 1980s or the later 1990s into the 2000s... there were rules and requirements to what a "Saleen Dealer" had to keep in-stock. I believe during the late 1990s the minimum were two Saleen Mustangs to be "in-stock" at all times.

There would also be restrictions on what a dealer / how a dealer could order. I do not recall, but for the 1990-91 Saleen SC, if a dealer wanted an SC for their sales stock, they had to order X number of Mustangs with the standard Saleen package. So hypothetically, a dealer might have to order three Saleen Mustangs to qualify to order an SC. Meaning you would never see a dealer with four SC models out front because it may take 12 additional Saleen Mustang purchases to make that order.

Saleen Inc produced about 400 trucks in model year 2007. If you use my loose example of each dealer ordering two trucks for retail stock... that is 300 units minimum whether there was a market for the S331 or not.

With the current climate, there are no "strong arm" techniques that I am aware of to require dealers to stock product. Making vehicles like the 2018 SporTruck and S302 Black Label a customer ordered / pre-sold unit. Meaning when you see such a vehicle on the road, the owner / driver sought it out.