View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

Gears are just math.. Generally not going to slow you down or speed you up. Only exception would be a boosted car that can't quite get to power band in desired gear for high speed run. They are only seat of the pants add on. A car with 3.73 will feel a ton more torquey than a 3.27 car. But in reality I actually ran quicker and faster in my wife`s 00 gt before gears! Looong time ago but pretty good remembering numbers and I think it was as follows
14.09 @ 100.3
vs
14.13 @ 98.9 with 3.73
I know some will say weather or other variables! But in multiple trips to track after gears I never saw either the ET or MPH numbers I had with stockers..
Felt faster and really that`s about all that mattered to me. But you can`t expect to gain anything with gears. An exception in drag racing would be big end power band or avoiding a shift. As a general rule though it`s just a transfer of power not going to give you any.

Another example. 94gt run 5th gear to the floor was about 136/7 mph at about 3800ish.
If you were in a hurry you could run 4th gear to 139ish. Still didn`t have power to exceed redline. I think it pushed 4th to about 100 under RL. Maybe you guys with 94/95`s can remind me redline was on the 302.

1000rwhp to get to 200? Possibly true in standing mile (accel), thats much harder to calculate, but definitely not in measured mile(top speed). There is bone stock gt500`s (not SS versions) on the web with 188 to 191 speed in 5th not 6th... Darn gearing thing again:)