View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013
SOEC Member

Default The million dollar question " Stock Pump vs Meziere"

I have been researching the internet for over 5 months reading articles about how to lower IAT temps, IC pumps, Heat Exchangers, and recovery tanks. The majority of these articles made sense, but there was one topic nobody could agree on. And that was intercooler pumps. The stock pump vs Meziere pump. Even the folks at the Mercedes sight were in disagreement on the pumps.
A few months back i installed a new stock Ford/Rousch pump and had the 6 year old stock pump handy which still worked fine. I also just purchased a new Meziere 136 pump and decided to do a flow test of the two pumps. The Ford/Rousch has been stated at 5 to 6 GPM and the Meziere at 20 GPM.

As you can see by the photos, I duplicated the height of the pumps as would be in your car. The position of the heat exchanger and the length of hose to it, The angle, length and height of the hose coming out of the heat exchanger as if it routed back to the intercooler.
The power was delivered by my Ford Focus running during the tests. I did two test per pump with a 5 gallon tank feeding from the bottom just as your recovery tank would. I used the stock 3/4" heater hose through out.

I want to state that when I spoke to Van at Raven Racing he stated the upgraded Meziere pump would make no difference.
I spoke with Jim Jr at JDM who stated the same thing on the upgraded pump. Both of you guys were Correct. On both test runs for each pump they both emptied the 5 gallons in 43 to 45 seconds. I was shocked with the results from the Meziere pump.

I phoned Meziere's toll free number and wanted to get their input on the test performed.
I spoke to to the Tech at Meziere pumps and send him the photos of the test. I had asked him for his thoughts on why the Rousch stock pump and the Meziere had flowed the same amount of water in the same amount of time.
The tech (Greg) had stated, that first off the 20 GPM rating was what the pump produced in an open environment with no restriction. I also asked him the question posed for flow rate on single pass or dual pass. Greg stated he thought both pumps would equally pass the same amount of water weather single pass or dual pass.
Greg also stated that in a closed system we would loose about 10 percent water flow due to pressure in the system. Greg thought the Meziere may pump a litttle more water in a closed system due to the way it is built. Greg also stated that both pumps which are centrifugal in design are not high pressure pumps. I asked Greg if I could quote his statements which he said
was fine to do.
I wanted to share this test with the forum , Please do what is right for you. I really wanted to know if changing pumps would help my IAT's at the track.

Thanks,

Wyatt
Attached Images