View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
Electric leaf blowers are great so long as you can work in an environment that doesn't create more dust than it blows away. I used them in my younger days when I wasn't too lazy to drag out the extension cord. They are also a neat trick to blow out the interior of your daily driver.

Hands down, ultrasoft waffle-weave microfiber drying towels are best if you dry traditionally. Chamois and synthetic chamois really don't have enough nap and don't give you really any safety zone if you have residual debris.

-Use a soft wash mitt and two buckets -- one for rinsing the mitt and one to apply more suds. Use a separate mitt and bucket of suds for the wheels and lower portions (usually you would wash them first).
-Keep the vehicle wet while you're working. When done, use a sheeting rinse at low water pressure starting at the top and going slowly from side to side as you work your way down.
-Do an initial dry with a waffle-weave towel... this foam core Mothers towel is available online. Peak brand has an Extreme Weave Drying Towel (PKC0FU) available at Pep Boys and elsewhere...
-Do follow-up drying of wheels and jams with a smaller version...
-Then do a final dry with a plush detailing towel and your choice of spray wax or instant detailer...
+1 on everything above

I use the sheeting method to cut down on the need for drying... then I use a waffle weave for the glass and paint, and some "rag" microfiber's from Costco for the wheels and door jams