The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 04-04-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SaleenExtreme View Post
Call Fluidyne's main number and ask for Gary, He is the owner. Nice guy, and will take care of you. I paid around 6 for mine. They did a really nice job.
Thanks! I'll get the dimensions and give him a call.
2007 Shelby GT, Saleen SC Stage 3 with 3.0 pulley,mosaleen tensioner sys. UCA,LCA,BMR A arm Brace, SVE Dark Stainless 18x10's, Nitto NT05's, MGW Shifter, Pypes LT's with off-road X pipe, Bassani Axle backs, FRP 3.73's,BMR Watts Link, Steeda shaft loop, JLT 110mm CAI, FRP valve Covers, Brenspeed tuned. 12.425@114.63 4800 feet on Nitto 555's. Latest dyno is 492hp/463tq.
Old 04-04-2014
SOEC Member

Tell him you want a drain, and the vent plug at the top.

Have a great weekend!
Old 04-05-2014
SOEC Member

I saw on a ctsv forum the caddy guys talking about running two stock pumps in tandem to improve flow. Trick would be wiring them. Anybody tried this?

I'll give it a whirl as I have an svt pump on its way (arrives Monday) I'll need some help sourcing a connector (Jason?) and some pointers wiring it up, but what do I have to lose? Maybe a simple and less expensive option.
2007 Shelby GT, Saleen SC Stage 3 with 3.0 pulley,mosaleen tensioner sys. UCA,LCA,BMR A arm Brace, SVE Dark Stainless 18x10's, Nitto NT05's, MGW Shifter, Pypes LT's with off-road X pipe, Bassani Axle backs, FRP 3.73's,BMR Watts Link, Steeda shaft loop, JLT 110mm CAI, FRP valve Covers, Brenspeed tuned. 12.425@114.63 4800 feet on Nitto 555's. Latest dyno is 492hp/463tq.

Last edited by tbrock; 04-05-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-05-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock View Post
I saw on a ctsv forum the caddy guys talking about running two stock pumps in tandem to improve flow. Trick would be wiring them. Anybody tried this?

I'll give it a whirl as I have an svt pump on its way (arrives Monday) I'll need some help sourcing a connector (Jason?) and some pointers wiring it up, but what do I have to lose? Maybe a simple and less expensive option.
We stand firmly behind the Meziere setup and recommend it with confidence. For the past 14 years of using them, selling them and installing them we have had outstanding results with them. Ask any of the customers we've installed them on if they've had any results other than AMAZING. People can do their home garage test and companys can do their flow charts, we use real world experiance and that works for us. We have customers in Dubai, Texas, Australia, New Zeland, and the list goes on an on from street drivers to road racers, and not one complaint. We stick with what we know is tried and true.

My advise, whom ever sold you the pump should be the one helping you with a connector and the pointers wiring it up. Make them responsible to help you...they got the sale...it is their job. I get so frusterated as these "retailers" and ".coms" that have no clue about the parts they sell and leave you guys to figure it out....not cool on their part.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 04-05-2014
SOEC Member

I believe the gentlemen was making a reference to replacing the stock pump, with one that will flow more volume.
Meziere does make a great pump, and a very reliable pump. But if more flow is what you are looking for, there are better choices. I bought a new 20 GPM Meziere, and a new stock Bosch pump, tested them both, and my flow numbers were almost exact to what the Lingenfelter study found. I found the Lingenfelter study to be quite informative with making the right pump choice for your application.

So we can just agree to disagree on this.
Old 04-05-2014

Quote:
I believe the gentlemen was making a reference to replacing the stock pump, with one that will flow more volume.
Meziere does make a great pump, and a very reliable pump. But if more flow is what you are looking for, there are better choices. I bought a new 20 GPM Meziere, and a new stock Bosch pump, tested them both, and my flow numbers were almost exact to what the Lingenfelter study found. I found the Lingenfelter study to be quite informative with making the right pump choice for your application.

So we can just agree to disagree on this.
I'm assuming your chatting with me....I'm not sure of the point of your response. I agree with you, right part for the right application. No one is disputing that. I think hooking up multiple pumps and such is overkill and in the end with no better result than just going with one good pump. Our only recommendations are the Meziere 20gpm and the EMP 55gpm. Those are diehard great choices that have been proven overtime to be great solutions.

Old 04-05-2014
SOEC Member

Pretty sure I didn't say anything negative about the mezeir setup, nor did I question your results. I like others am curious if increasing the flow through a system will bring down AIT's. The only decent data regarding increase flow is the Lingenfelter data. What nobody has been able to document is the results of increasing flow on AIT's and at what point does too much flow actually have a negative effect by not allowing the water to cool enough when passing through the HE. I bought my SVT pump through Ford and my plan is to place the pump in tandem on a switched circuit to see what effect the extra pressure would have on the inlet temps. Didn't mean to hit a nerve. Found a connector on eBay.

QUOTE=Jason @ 281m;119363]We stand firmly behind the Meziere setup and recommend it with confidence. For the past 14 years of using them, selling them and installing them we have had outstanding results with them. Ask any of the customers we've installed them on if they've had any results other than AMAZING. People can do their home garage test and companys can do their flow charts, we use real world experiance and that works for us. We have customers in Dubai, Texas, Australia, New Zeland, and the list goes on an on from street drivers to road racers, and not one complaint. We stick with what we know is tried and true.

My advise, whom ever sold you the pump should be the one helping you with a connector and the pointers wiring it up. Make them responsible to help you...they got the sale...it is their job. I get so frusterated as these "retailers" and ".coms" that have no clue about the parts they sell and leave you guys to figure it out....not cool on their part.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-05-2014

Todd, just to be clear im not upset. But you did have us spend the time a year ago to put a quote together for the pump kit, and then asked us to review the SVT pump, and then noted you called Brenspeed. It does lend doubt to the fact you trust our expertise.

On the testing, we've tested a whole bunch of pumps from a wide array of GPM's several years back and we've shared that with peeps, some have taken our input and some havent.

And with all fairness, we are ALWAYS here to help out whenever and wherever we can with SOEC members and their car issues. But when someone buys something somewhere else after calling us and then ask's us to help them with installation help it does sting...we are still human too.

Quote:
Pretty sure I didn't say anything negative about the mezeir setup, nor did I question your results. I like others am curious if increasing the flow through a system will bring down AIT's. The only decent data regarding increase flow is the Lingenfelter data. What nobody has been able to document is the results of increasing flow on AIT's and at what point does too much flow actually have a negative effect by not allowing the water to cool enough when passing through the HE. I bought my SVT pump through Ford and my plan is to place the pump in tandem on a switched circuit to see what effect the extra pressure would have on the inlet temps. Didn't mean to hit a nerve. Found a connector on eBay.

QUOTE=Jason @ 281m;119363]We stand firmly behind the Meziere setup and recommend it with confidence. For the past 14 years of using them, selling them and installing them we have had outstanding results with them. Ask any of the customers we've installed them on if they've had any results other than AMAZING. People can do their home garage test and companys can do their flow charts, we use real world experiance and that works for us. We have customers in Dubai, Texas, Australia, New Zeland, and the list goes on an on from street drivers to road racers, and not one complaint. We stick with what we know is tried and true.

My advise, whom ever sold you the pump should be the one helping you with a connector and the pointers wiring it up. Make them responsible to help you...they got the sale...it is their job. I get so frusterated as these "retailers" and ".coms" that have no clue about the parts they sell and leave you guys to figure it out....not cool on their part.
[/QUOTE]

Old 04-05-2014
SOEC Member

Yep I had you work up a quote and then my financial picture changed when I was laid off so I had to put certain upgrades on hold. Since then I've been doing my own reading and research on the best solution.I've already upgraded my HE and coolant tank so the next step is a pump.

I called brenspeed because I bought my saleen system from them and they sell the svt pump (sorry back in 2008 I didn't know about 281). I also called others trying to get a solid answer on what the exact difference is between the stock saleen pump and the svt pump. You so far are the only one to suggest that they maybe the same. What nobody can tell me is what the flow rate is on the stock saleen pump and what the flow rate is on the svt? It appears that the bosch pump used in the lingenfelter test is the same as the svt. Just doing my homework. I would like to see some hard data/test that shows pump "x" when combined with HE"x" will reduce AIT's by "x" amount when the ambient temp is"x" and when the car was run at "x" boost for a set time. I'd also like to know if the flow rate is too high will the effect be increased temps and at what point does that happen? Can the intercooler in the series 6 be improved similar to the upgrade available in a Whipple? If so how much does that effect AIT's.
If said info is available nobody is making it public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
Todd, just to be clear im not upset. But you did have us spend the time a year ago to put a quote together for the pump kit, and then asked us to review the SVT pump, and then noted you called Brenspeed. It does lend doubt to the fact you trust our expertise.

On the testing, we've tested a whole bunch of pumps from a wide array of GPM's several years back and we've shared that with peeps, some have taken our input and some havent.

And with all fairness, we are ALWAYS here to help out whenever and wherever we can with SOEC members and their car issues. But when someone buys something somewhere else after calling us and then ask's us to help them with installation help it does sting...we are still human too.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by tbrock; 04-06-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-09-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Yep I had you work up a quote and then my financial picture changed when I was laid off so I had to put certain upgrades on hold. Since then I've been doing my own reading and research on the best solution.I've already upgraded my HE and coolant tank so the next step is a pump.

I called brenspeed because I bought my saleen system from them and they sell the svt pump (sorry back in 2008 I didn't know about 281). I also called others trying to get a solid answer on what the exact difference is between the stock saleen pump and the svt pump. You so far are the only one to suggest that they maybe the same. What nobody can tell me is what the flow rate is on the stock saleen pump and what the flow rate is on the svt? It appears that the bosch pump used in the lingenfelter test is the same as the svt. Just doing my homework. I would like to see some hard data/test that shows pump "x" when combined with HE"x" will reduce AIT's by "x" amount when the ambient temp is"x" and when the car was run at "x" boost for a set time. I'd also like to know if the flow rate is too high will the effect be increased temps and at what point does that happen? Can the intercooler in the series 6 be improved similar to the upgrade available in a Whipple? If so how much does that effect AIT's.
If said info is available nobody is making it public?

[/QUOTE]

I too would like to see a x pump + x HE test, but there are soo many variables( blower, PSI, HE, pump, coolant ratio, hose size, hose routing, coolant additives, hood venting, cai, etc etc) that I don't see any one or two tests validating this for more than a few people and combos.
I am running the EMP pump. I got rid of the Meziere 20gpm for a couple reasons. 1. it does not flow as well as my EMP and 2. It was very hard to prime and lost prime a couple times. The EMP pump primes instantly.
My EMP and Shleby HE are a good combo. if I use a heavy coolant to water ratio with Purple Ice I can get IATs single digits over ambient. But I have been lazy and don't feel like changing out my coolant and have 50/50 and get double digit increases over ambient. But the system recovers extremely quick after WOT.
As for Saleen offering a improved intercooler design like Whipple and FRPP I don't see it happening. ANytime I called Saleen for spare parts for the blower either they did not answer the phone or if they did call me back after I left a message, I was always told no parts, but that they were about to get more made. That was last year so I don't know how things have changed if they even did.
My opinion is this Series VI blower is history for them. They don't make 3V cars anymore so the market cant be that great, especially with Roush and Whipple making arguably better blowers.

A couple things. Here is a post from S197. http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102456
You must be a member of the forum to view this thread!
Pay attention to Gmitch. If you goto page 2 you can see his over the top custom IAT cooling solution. Two heat exchangers. One a massive one in the bumper and another big one in the trunk. The trunk one is fed by air inlets in the rear quarter windows. He is the guy who makes the manifold to let you put a GT500 blower on a 3V engine. He paid close attention to the intercooler system for his kit, so he has a lot of inside info from manufacturers since he is a high volume customer.
You cannot move the coolant too fast. The intercooler, HE, hoses and fittings are all too small and will restrict the flow so that you cannot move the coolant too fast.
One other thing. The Meziere pumps do move the water nicely in a low restriction system. But our system is restrictive. The Lingenfelter data shows that in a restrictive system the pressure is too high and the Meziere pumps fall flat on their face as the pressure goes up. The EMP pump on the other hand excels at these restrictive systems. The only way to remove all of the restrictions is if Saleen of someone else comes up with a better intercooler core( Not gonna happen) and then you retap the front threads fitting it for bigger fittings, and then run bigger hose diameters.

If you want to get some better cooling, box in you current heat exchanger. This will help a lot. I am doing mine soon. A coworker does body work and is gonna help me fab something up.
Old 04-09-2014

We are in the process of fabbing up a nice aluminum shroud. Stay tuned for that. I somewhat agree with your statement. An AFCO Pro (w/fans....a much larger core too than the non fanned unit) and a Meziere or EMP pump is about the best one can do. Plumbing a secondary unit in the trunk is nothing new, but its not very practical for a street car.

If you want more, just go twin turbo and never look back.

too would like to see a x pump + x HE test, but there are soo many variables( blower, PSI, HE, pump, coolant ratio, hose size, hose routing, coolant additives, hood venting, cai, etc etc) that I don't see any one or two tests validating this for more than a few people and combos.
I am running the EMP pump. I got rid of the Meziere 20gpm for a couple reasons. 1. it does not flow as well as my EMP and 2. It was very hard to prime and lost prime a couple times. The EMP pump primes instantly.
My EMP and Shleby HE are a good combo. if I use a heavy coolant to water ratio with Purple Ice I can get IATs single digits over ambient. But I have been lazy and don't feel like changing out my coolant and have 50/50 and get double digit increases over ambient. But the system recovers extremely quick after WOT.
As for Saleen offering a improved intercooler design like Whipple and FRPP I don't see it happening. ANytime I called Saleen for spare parts for the blower either they did not answer the phone or if they did call me back after I left a message, I was always told no parts, but that they were about to get more made. That was last year so I don't know how things have changed if they even did.
My opinion is this Series VI blower is history for them. They don't make 3V cars anymore so the market cant be that great, especially with Roush and Whipple making arguably better blowers.

A couple things. Here is a post from S197. http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102456
Pay attention to Gmitch. If you goto page 2 you can see his over the top custom IAT cooling solution. Two heat exchangers. One a massive one in the bumper and another big one in the trunk. The trunk one is fed by air inlets in the rear quarter windows. He is the guy who makes the manifold to let you put a GT500 blower on a 3V engine. He paid close attention to the intercooler system for his kit, so he has a lot of inside info from manufacturers since he is a high volume customer.
You cannot move the coolant too fast. The intercooler, HE, hoses and fittings are all too small and will restrict the flow so that you cannot move the coolant too fast.
One other thing. The Meziere pumps do move the water nicely in a low restriction system. But our system is restrictive. The Lingenfelter data shows that in a restrictive system the pressure is too high and the Meziere pumps fall flat on their face as the pressure goes up. The EMP pump on the other hand excels at these restrictive systems. The only way to remove all of the restrictions is if Saleen of someone else comes up with a better intercooler core( Not gonna happen) and then you retap the front threads fitting it for bigger fittings, and then run bigger hose diameters.

If you want to get some better cooling, box in you current heat exchanger. This will help a lot. I am doing mine soon. A coworker does body work and is gonna help me fab something up.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-09-2014
SOEC Member

good feedback I've kept an eye on his thread.

I too would like to see a x pump + x HE test, but there are soo many variables( blower, PSI, HE, pump, coolant ratio, hose size, hose routing, coolant additives, hood venting, cai, etc etc) that I don't see any one or two tests validating this for more than a few people and combos.

If you want to get some better cooling, box in you current heat exchanger. This will help a lot. I am doing mine soon. A coworker does body work and is gonna help me fab something up.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-10-2014
SOEC Member

For future reference as Jason noted the FRP SVT I/C pump is the same as the Saleen pump. I ordered a Jabsco pump and I'll be testing it in place compared to the stock pump to see the difference in flow rate. My plan is to test the flow through the IC and HE(AFCO dual pass non fanned). 1st test will be stock pump, 2nd test new SVT pump (to see if there is a drop off after many hours of use), finally Jabsco pump. This should give a little more info on what happens when the pump encounters the restrictions of the IC and a larger HE.
Old 04-10-2014

Quote:
For future reference as Jason noted the FRP SVT I/C pump is the same as the Saleen pump. I ordered a Jabsco pump and I'll be testing it in place compared to the stock pump to see the difference in flow rate. My plan is to test the flow through the IC and HE(AFCO dual pass non fanned). 1st test will be stock pump, 2nd test new SVT pump (to see if there is a drop off after many hours of use), finally Jabsco pump. This should give a little more info on what happens when the pump encounters the restrictions of the IC and a larger HE.

I just did all of this. I currently have the Jabsco pump on with the Afco dual fan HE with stock resevoir. It kicks ****.

I also have the Stewart EMP Pump that i will try next. Then i will move up to a larger resevoir. Finally, i will send the EMP pump to LPE for a reprogram.

To all, do your best to remove all or atleast reduce as many bends, 90's etc from all of your feed and return hoses. This will help the flow and minimize back pressure. Ofcourse when it comes to the size of the hose bigger is better.
Old 04-10-2014
SOEC Member

Hazmat,

Which model Jabsco did you install?
Old 04-10-2014

Quote:
Hazmat,

Which model Jabsco did you install?

Jabsco 50840-0012 Marine High Flow Cyclone Pump (12-Volt)
Old 04-10-2014
SOEC Member

Nice Choice, I believe that is the latest model in their line. At some point I am going to mount a second Jabsco pump on the return side. I got great results with mine as well.
Old 04-10-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
Jabsco 50840-0012 Marine High Flow Cyclone Pump (12-Volt)
Did you mount it vertically similar to the stock pump or horizontally? I ask because I saw on a Lightning forum two different mounts. One was mounted with the head unit pointing down (reverse of the Saleen positioning) and the other was a horizontal mount. The 50840 is not self priming like its predecessor so I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I also picked up this cheap flow gauge to put in line for my pump test. It will allow me to maintain the closed system and measure each pump in a more realistic manner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321171299393...84.m1439.l2649
Old 04-10-2014

I mounted it vertically with the motor on top and the pump on the bottom. I made an aluminum plate and mounted it almost in the same position as the stock pump. I'll try to post pics tongiht or tomorrow if that will help. The way mine is mounted it primmed and started pumping instantly. I clocked or rotated the pump dishcarge so that it is vey short ,maybe 2", straight shot into the HE

This is not the absolute best mounting location but i knew it would be temporary and i wanted something that would be an easy on off.

All of these pumps really need to be mounted as close to the resevoir as possible for optimum performance. They do better and pushing then pulling. Unfortunatley space is always the problem.

Eventaully when i go to the larger resevoir my EMP pump suction will be right at it.
Old 04-10-2014
SOEC Member

Just found the photo of how I mounted the Jabsco pump.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0342.JPG  

Old 04-10-2014
SOEC Member

sweet thanks for the picture

Quote:
Old 04-10-2014

Quote:
Curious Wyatt, is that feed hose going through an aluminum panel? It looks like the hole has jagged sharp edges...if so you should clean up that hole and use a rubber gromment to protect the hose from the edge. Aluminum edges will act like a saw blade on rubber hoses. And if your hard mounting that pump, I would recommend some rubber isolators between your pump and mouting plate to remove any harmonics that will be annoying to your ear and prematureing kill that pump. It may not be today, but it will happen sooner than it needs to be at some point.

Just trying to help.

Old 04-11-2014
SOEC Member

Jason, It just looks that way, the hole through the metal is 1/8' larger than the hose. The pump is mounted on an aluminum base with rubber washers that come with the pump. The pump, and the fiberglass box that surrounds the heat exchanger are bolted down solid, nothing moves and no vibrations on the setup.
Old 04-11-2014
SOEC Member

Jason,

Here is a better shot of the setup. The fittings from the heat exchanger go through the metal braced end plates. The hose is flush at the end of each end plate. the hose on each end does not go through. There is no way for the hose to get cut.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0340.JPG  

Old 04-11-2014

Quote:
Jason,

Here is a better shot of the setup. The fittings from the heat exchanger go through the metal braced end plates. The hose is flush at the end of each end plate. the hose on each end does not go through. There is no way for the hose to get cut.
Cool deal, just lookin out for you. Hey I see some familiar red stuff under your car! Keep building your beast!

Old 04-11-2014
SOEC Member

Another good thread. http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111197
Old 04-12-2014
SOEC Member

You have to be a member of the Site. Can you copy and paste the article.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2014
SOEC Member

Its 3 pages long?
Old 05-13-2017
SOEC Member

Default EMP pump bracket - Extreme owners welcome

I'm resurrecting a very old thread... First, a little back story: I've a 2008 Racecraft (Saleen without a number) that threw a couple of rods at the track. Time for an upgrade! Now she has a ford racing shortblock (forged 302 based on the 4.6 3v architecture), CNC heads, JDM upgraded the pulley (and the usual pumps and stuff), cams are a little more than stock, but not much. I also installed the upgraded saleen heat exchanger and found an EMP pump with the same programming saleen used. Since I didn't get the kit (intercooler upgrade from saleen) I don't have the bracket. I called EMP (Stewart) and they told me that the pump had to be located with the shaft horizontal, not vertical like in the saleen kit. This brings me to my question:

Has anyone installed the EMP pump vertical and, if so, how long has it lasted? The tech at the factory said the pump would not last long in that configuration.

s197 Extreme owners (for the S197 Extremes that came with this pump), how many miles have you put on you cars and have you had any issue with the IC pump?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-16-2017
SOEC Member

pick up a 2013 GT500 pump you can run it vertical or horizontal and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgornowich View Post
I'm resurrecting a very old thread... First, a little back story: I've a 2008 Racecraft (Saleen without a number) that threw a couple of rods at the track. Time for an upgrade! Now she has a ford racing shortblock (forged 302 based on the 4.6 3v architecture), CNC heads, JDM upgraded the pulley (and the usual pumps and stuff), cams are a little more than stock, but not much. I also installed the upgraded saleen heat exchanger and found an EMP pump with the same programming saleen used. Since I didn't get the kit (intercooler upgrade from saleen) I don't have the bracket. I called EMP (Stewart) and they told me that the pump had to be located with the shaft horizontal, not vertical like in the saleen kit. This brings me to my question:

Has anyone installed the EMP pump vertical and, if so, how long has it lasted? The tech at the factory said the pump would not last long in that configuration.

s197 Extreme owners (for the S197 Extremes that came with this pump), how many miles have you put on you cars and have you had any issue with the IC pump?

Thanks for your help.