The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 04-14-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Tough car! - Question on the Stern Replica Wheels?

I don't care who you are... this car is tight. Can I do this with the '86? Is 17x9 and 17x10's possible?
Attached Thumbnails
SCstylepolished4big.jpg  

Old 04-14-2010
Inactive Account

I like all but the hood.
Old 04-14-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Can I do this with the '86? Is 17x9 and 17x10's possible?
At some width, you will have an issue with the rear quad shocks and a lack of wheel clearance. 10" rears could mean a dumping of the quads.
Old 04-14-2010

Dumping the quads doesn't really scare me too much. My only problem is our limited wheel selection with the 4 lug setup.
Old 04-14-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Dumping the quads doesn't really scare me too much. My only problem is our limited wheel selection with the 4 lug setup.
You even get aware with flipping the quad shock, 4 lug wheel selection is going to be a problem.....just go for a 5 lug conversion.
Old 04-14-2010
Administrator

Quote:
My only problem is our limited wheel selection with the 4 lug setup.
4 lug 17x8" Saleen/Speedlines.
Old 04-15-2010

You can get those in 17x10's for the rear and 17x9 or 17x8 for the fronts. That's what's on that car.
Old 04-15-2010

Has anybody tried the 5-lug SC replicas on a real foxbody Saleen ? ( 1987 - 1993) I wonder how they would fit?

http://s973.photobucket.com/home/91saleen30
Old 04-15-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91saleen30 View Post
Has anybody tried the 5-lug SC replicas on a real foxbody Saleen ? ( 1987 - 1993) I wonder how they would fit?
The main issue is how the 1987-93 Saleen Mustangs use the 1984-86 Mustang SVO rear axles which widen the rear track. I also cannot recall whether the replica wheels offer a 5-lug front for a FOX car. The 5-lug wheels might have been offered with offsets for the SN-95 (1994-98) and New Edge (1999-04) Mustangs.
Old 04-15-2010

Thanks for the replies, guys. Believe me, I'd love to do a 5 lug conversion, but this is no ordinary Mustang, at least not in my eyes. With that said, the original parts can be stored on a shelf for safe keeping and maintaining originality of the vehicle. If it's good enough for Jay Leno to do it's probably good enough for me. BUT I just don't have the heart to do it even though these breaks suck big, hairy, green cheese balls.
Old 04-15-2010

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, guys. Believe me, I'd love to do a 5 lug conversion, but this is no ordinary Mustang, at least not in my eyes. With that said, the original parts can be stored on a shelf for safe keeping and maintaining originality of the vehicle. If it's good enough for Jay Leno to do it's probably good enough for me. BUT I just don't have the heart to do it even though these breaks suck big, hairy, green cheese balls.
its just an '86 saleen.its not like its a super rare '85 that you shouldnt modify

but seriously,just keep the original brakes,axles and struts to put back on at a later time if you decide.btw,i had 18x10's on the rear of my '85 with quads flipped and still had tailpipes.
Old 04-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis306 View Post
its just an '86 saleen.its not like its a super rare '85 that you shouldnt modify

but seriously,just keep the original brakes,axles and struts to put back on at a later time if you decide.btw,i had 18x10's on the rear of my '85 with quads flipped and still had tailpipes.

Right! Send me your rims and I'll do it!

My issue is what type of conversion I WANT to do. I've converted a fox to a SN-95 setup and it worked great. And honestly, the PBR calipers are adequate for the lighter foxbody. But I've had Brembos in the past and LOVE them. I only need two more things before this can be done...time and money. Sounds like a $3000 plus project on a car I simply wanted to save and keep cherry. Here I go again...the road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Old 04-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The main issue is how the 1987-93 Saleen Mustangs use the 1984-86 Mustang SVO rear axles which widen the rear track. I also cannot recall whether the replica wheels offer a 5-lug front for a FOX car. The 5-lug wheels might have been offered with offsets for the SN-95 (1994-98) and New Edge (1999-04) Mustangs.
Dave, They do offer the replica wheels in a 5 lug Foxbody offset wheel, but not in a Saleen offset. I thought about getting a set and put my Sterns away for safe keeping. I seem to remember a thread somewhere about getting the company that makes the replicas to make the correct offset wheel for the Saleens. I don't know whatever came of that but I'm guessing that nothing was decided.
Old 04-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Saleen#20 View Post
Dave, They do offer the replica wheels in a 5 lug Foxbody offset wheel, but not in a Saleen offset. I thought about getting a set and put my Sterns away for safe keeping. I seem to remember a thread somewhere about getting the company that makes the replicas to make the correct offset wheel for the Saleens. I don't know whatever came of that but I'm guessing that nothing was decided.
Call Greg @ Replica Wheels and he can give you the answer. 888-449-4335
Old 04-15-2010

Re: 5 lug conversion

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M2300K

That is why I don't want to do a 4 to 5 swap...I know me.

Justification:
an endless gammut of wheel possibilities
BRAKES! hey, ya gotta think "safety" these days.
FRPP part number, enough said.

Reality:
I just got out of debt.
Wife...almost 15 years, enough said.

I know...I hate having these problems.
Old 04-16-2010
Suspended Account

if you want the 94 and up cobra brakes go to www.discbrakesrus.com
Old 05-03-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
I don't care who you are... this car is tight. Can I do this with the '86? Is 17x9 and 17x10's possible?
I have this set as my wallpaper on my computer, not to mention I am currently building an 89 coupe CLONE that will have these wheels on it as well. I agree the hood is nasty not using one myself either. Also mine is being painted Tangerine metallic with silver graphics. Wheel replicas make this wheel in 17x8 5 lug version as well so I doing the 17x8 front and 17x9 rear with my 5 lug conversion.
Old 05-07-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Call Greg @ Replica Wheels and he can give you the answer. 888-449-4335

I was the one leading that effort and I'm still working with Jeff on the details. There are quite a few things to change with the current run of wheels to satisfy me and other Saleen owners. The replica wheels are convex in shape and the originals were not (both the Stern's and the Speedline's had a slight concave or almost flat surface to the face of the wheel). The edges of the spokes are too sharp compared to the originals and the offsets need to be correct for the stock Saleen brakes. Mark Lamaskin had also talked to Jeff to help move it along. It is currently in a holding pattern and it could take a few years to complete because I have to have committed buyers up front with cash in hand ready to buy. The run of wheels have to be paid for before the process is complete. So it is going to take some time. I've got 10 commitments, read that as no payment but interested parties, so far but will need 24 total paid up front to get it done plus Jeffs efforts on his end. I'm taking my time with it so that it can be done right. As the Fox cars age the demand for this will go up. So sooner or later they will happen.