The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2011
SOEC Member

Default FOUND! Original Supplier for 87-93 Chassis Braces, Roll Bars

In my quest for parts for "number four". I've found the company that made the braces and chassis stuff for Saleen from 87 to about 1994. They parted ways when the new body style started with Saleen which is more like late 1994-95 (read 1995 model year).

The original jigs from the builds 20+ years ago are still in the shop and Mike has agreed to work with both Saleen Clubs to offer parts to the Fox crowd. He has located jigs for the following and is looking for the others.

91-93 Strut Tower Brace - this is the one with the "supercharger bend"
87-89 2 pt roll bar
90-93 2pt roll bar
89 SSC 4pt roll cage (can be made to fit 90-93's for the different seatbelt mounting location)
87-93 K frame brace
87-93 rear shock tower brace
87-93 Saleen pan hard bar
87-93 Saleen subframes
93 SA10 and RRr 6pt roll cage

None of these pieces will be delivered with hardware or powder coating. He will be sending them out as he did with Saleen. Saleen handled putting the hardware with them and the powder coating.

I'm currently working with him on a small discount for club members. The pricing is in line with what the current market rate for these pieces without powder coat.

I'm posting this to see what interest there is in certain parts. Its better for him to do a run of 10 of each then to do 1 and 2's here and there.

Post up here and let me know what you may be interested in and we'll go from there. Again, I'll have pricing soon. Just gauging interest at this point.

Peace,
Bob
SA10 #4 Chassis
www.puristmotorsports.com
Old 10-18-2011
Inactive Account

That is great news, let know know how we can help promote this effort.

Benzit69 87-93 Shock tower brace
Benzit69 2 point roll bar
five-o-joe 91-93 Strut tower brace
five-o-joe 87-93 K member
pspstang 91-93 NONE SC Strut tower brace

Last edited by Greg Wackett; 10-20-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

Bob, I may be interested in a panhard bar, and possibly the 6-point roll cage, depending on how pricing might compare to a "modern" piece like Maximum Motorsports.

Good work on seeking this out!

cheers
Ed N.
Old 10-19-2011
SOEC Member

Ed, I'm working with Mike on pricing for both clubs. Currently the price for the PHB is $341 which is not discounted. I'll say that the MM piece is more refined but this one will be period correct. The 6 point cage is something he will have to price me as he has not made that for a Mustang since the 90's. I'll post back here. There's a lot of interest in this as I'm getting PM's and phone calls from people in both clubs. That's a good sign. The more I can approach Mike with in numbers the better.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 10-20-2011

I'll order a 91-93 Strut tower brace and a 87-93 K frame brace now.

Can I order it now?
Old 10-20-2011

Default Parts

87-93 rear shock tower brace and 87-89 2 point roll bar
2002 Saleen Extreme #13
Old 10-20-2011
Inactive Account

Guys what I will do is start a list on this thread to make it easier for Bob. Please up date the thread with what you want. The more we get signed up the lower the price will be. The list has been started on the send post of this thread.
Old 10-20-2011

I need a strut tower brace for 93 #20. Prefer one w/o the SC bump but will take what I can get.
Old 10-23-2011

Any new news? Is there an estimate when we might be able to order? Thanks for coordinating....very cool.
Old 10-23-2011
SOEC Member

Joe, We caught them in the middle of a move. I talked to Mike and they won't be able to start the run of parts until the first of December if all goes well.

What brace did 93 #20 come with? Saleen didn't make one without the bend over the intake tube in 93 to my knowledge. That's why people refer to them as a supercharger brace is because that particular bend was made in the brace to clear the supercharger discharge tube. But Saleen used them on cars with and without a supercharger.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 10-23-2011

I am not sure what brace my car originally had. But sounds like the one with the bend will work just fine as currently I have some cheap *** bbk there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodson View Post
What brace did 93 #20 come with? Saleen didn't make one without the bend over the intake tube in 93 to my knowledge. That's why people refer to them as a supercharger brace is because that particular bend was made in the brace to clear the supercharger discharge tube. But Saleen used them on cars with and without a supercharger.
Old 10-26-2011

Thanks! Whenever you/they are ready, I'll be ready too.

Just let me know.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Joe, We caught them in the middle of a move. I talked to Mike and they won't be able to start the run of parts until the first of December if all goes well.

Old 12-15-2011

Any update?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2011
SOEC Member

I'm changing jobs and haven't touched base with Mike since I haven't had time. He was in the middle of a move, headed to SEMA, and working with Kenny Brown all at the same time a month ago. Time is just flying. Christmas is a week away and my work peaks this time of year. Add in my job transition plus family and I've put this on the backburner. Not losing focus on it, but had to hit the pause button on anything Saleen related. Even #4 is just sitting. Haven't done anything to it since September.

It has made me think more about this and come up with a plan to get a couple of pieces made and take detailed pics of them and the originals. Then post them for both clubs. I've got an original 93 strut brace, K frame brace, and panhard bar to compare them to. I've also got access to a high volume powder coater here locally who can powder coat HUGE items.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 12-18-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

You can put me down for 90-93 strut tower brace.
Old 02-28-2012
SOEC Member

UPDATE:

Talked with Mike today and he's working on a test fixture to make sure everything is correct and that his measurements are right. He "thought" we might be a month out from actual production. They're very busy with Kenny Brown at the moment and he's trying to work this in the mix. It could take longer if the test fixture doesn't meet my standards in matching the originals. I have some originals to go by.

My plan is to take the bare fixtures from him and have them powder coated in the proper colors, assemble the correct hardware for the pieces and then have them ready to ship so that all the buyer has to do is install them.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 04-07-2012
SOEC Member

any new news on this? I could use a k member and subframes for my 87.
Old 04-07-2012
SOEC Member

I've got an order "in cue" with them but when that order is finished I'm passing the baton to Steve, Liz, Molly and the crew. Now that Steve is back at the helm I believe this to be the right thing to do. Mike and Steve did chat briefly at SEMA and I'll push to have them talk again. Prior to this there wasn't much interest by the owning interest of Saleen in getting these parts made for us Fox Nuts. That's why I pursued it for the community. I know Molly really wanted to get these parts off the ground even under SMS.

Steve and the crew may have other resources as there wasn't only one supplier for these things. It just so happens that the jigs were kept by this supplier and I personally believe them to be the major supplier from 90-94.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 05-26-2012
SOEC Member

Things are packed up and will ship next week. I have the following. Powder-coated and hardware included.

Strut Tower Brace - $200 + actual shipping costs.
Subframes - $200 + actual shipping costs
Rear Shock Brace - $150 + actual shipping costs.

These things are arriving to me bare metal. I will have them powder-coated locally. The subframes and rear shock braces will be gloss black. The strut braces will be grey. If you need to paint the shock brace for your interior you can scuff the powder-coat with 800 grit and spray bomb it to match. The powder-coat acts as a great base for painting that way.

If you are interested please PM me. At this point I will reserve a piece in the order I receive your contact. I ordered the minimum count so that it would be cheaper for us. I can order more if the count goes above what I've ordered but you'll have to wait until I have enough commitments to order again. I will post here when the inventory is gone.

When the pieces arrive I'll post pics before and after powder-coating. Again.. They will all include hardware. The subframes will not have the holes drilled in them in case people want to weld them in or if they put them on a car that had them.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 06-04-2012
SOEC Member

Arrived today. These are bare metal. Pics are to show you all that this isn't some hoax. I know it has taken a long time but I feel it was worth it. They will go to the powder coater this Friday. These look so nice. Better than some of the NOS stuff that has gone through my hands. The NOS brace on Almost 4 is not as nice as the ones that just arrived. Mine even has a missed weld on it.

Strut brace.

Over my NOS piece to show the bends are the same.

Rear Shock Brace.

Threaded insert on it.

Subframes

Should be able to ship by the end of June. They need to be powder coated and I have to assemble the hardware for each. Let me know if you're interested by shooting me a PM or e mailing me at almost 4 at almost 4 dot com.

First come first serve. There are no reservations at this point. Posting in this thread didn't put anyone in line. Hate to say that but this is the way it has to be.

Peace,
Bob
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 06-08-2012
SOEC Member

Dropped off at the powder coater today. These were my choices in color.

Strut brace - High Gloss Silver (just like mine in the pic above on #4)
Subframes - Semi Gloss black (figured they're under the car and semi gloss would be good)
Rear shock brace - High Gloss black (this can be scuffed with 600-800 grit and painted to match the interior. I've had more requests for gloss black than any other color so I went with that.)
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 06-09-2012

That's awesome Bob..... now I just need to grab one of these deals out here.....
Old 06-09-2012
Inactive Account

They look good thanks for all the hard work
Old 06-15-2012
SOEC Member

Thanks for the support Greg. This has been a labor of love for me.

Back from the powder coater today. Boxing things up and they'll be ready to ship next week.

Rear shock brace. Gloss black.

Subframes. Satin black.

Strut Brace. 80% chrome with High Gloss clear.

The strut brace is the same color as my NOS piece. These things came out so nice. Hardware is included with each piece and I will put a template in the subframes for the spots to drill the holes if you plan to do that.

The rear shock brace requires that the interior panels be trimmed to go around it. The way to make that look nice is to get some 1/8" vacuum tubing and cut it the length of the cut to go around the brace and then slit along one side to put it on the edge of the panel.

I will be in touch with those who have contacted me to get exact shipping quotes.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 06-18-2012
SOEC Member

Right now I have one strut brace left and 4 sets of subframes left. Everything else is spoken for. If that changes I'll post back here.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 06-18-2012
Inactive Account

WOW they turned out great good luck with the sales and thanks for including us.
Old 07-05-2012
SOEC Member

Only things left are 4 sets of subframes. That's what I have on hand as of 7/5/12.

Now taking orders for the next round. This time the order will require 1/2 down in the beginning and full payment + actual shipping costs when the parts are completed.

To those that have asked we're looking at the 2 point braces. Figuring out how many orders we need to make them worth buying.... read affordable.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 08-28-2012

great news I need strut tower brace for a 1989 ,brace goes throw tower with ellen bolt screws throw the back were front strut bolts up!
Old 08-28-2012
SOEC Member

Alex, that's the one jig that he doesn't have. There were multiple suppliers at that time and I believe that brace wasn't made by Mike and his team. I'm certain they could make them if I had one I could give them to copy.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 08-28-2012

do you have to make a one ,if not I can wait to make one out of a 90 strut tower brace ,that I do have.
Old 08-28-2012
SOEC Member

Do what you need to do to make one for your car that suits you. The 87-89 braces are on the back burner at the moment.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 10-03-2012

Quote:
In my quest for parts for "number four". I've found the company that made the braces and chassis stuff for Saleen from 87 to about 1994. They parted ways when the new body style started with Saleen which is more like late 1994-95 (read 1995 model year).

The original jigs from the builds 20+ years ago are still in the shop and Mike has agreed to work with both Saleen Clubs to offer parts to the Fox crowd. He has located jigs for the following and is looking for the others.

91-93 Strut Tower Brace - this is the one with the "supercharger bend"
87-89 2 pt roll bar
90-93 2pt roll bar
89 SSC 4pt roll cage (can be made to fit 90-93's for the different seatbelt mounting location)
87-93 K frame brace
87-93 rear shock tower brace
87-93 Saleen pan hard bar
87-93 Saleen subframes
93 SA10 and RRr 6pt roll cage

None of these pieces will be delivered with hardware or powder coating. He will be sending them out as he did with Saleen. Saleen handled putting the hardware with them and the powder coating.

I'm currently working with him on a small discount for club members. The pricing is in line with what the current market rate for these pieces without powder coat.

I'm posting this to see what interest there is in certain parts. Its better for him to do a run of 10 of each then to do 1 and 2's here and there.

Post up here and let me know what you may be interested in and we'll go from there. Again, I'll have pricing soon. Just gauging interest at this point.

Peace,
Bob
I need a 4 pt for my 89 ssc let me know how quick you can get it and the cost + shipping?
Old 10-08-2012
SOEC Member

Alex right now the cost is prohibitive to get that setup done. The issue I'm running into is that there are a couple 94-98 owners that want the 2pt, two 90-93 owners, and a couple 87-89 owners. Those all require jig changes and the MINIMUM order for any of these braces will have to be 5. Even at 5 they're a good bit north of $500 and that was for the 2pt braces. There are jig changes for the 2pt and 4pt setups as well as for the 87-89, 90-93, 94-98 and 99-04's because of the seatbelt mount changes. There's lots of interest but it seems not enough interest in one specific model run. I know of one other SSC owner who wants one. If we could come up with 3 other owners Mike would be more interested in taking that on. Simply put, the more bought, the more saved with these.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Old 01-09-2013

I am interested in a rear shock tower brace
88-337 - sold
88 LX HB - sold
Old 06-14-2013
SOEC Member

I'm also interested in rear shock tower brace (1989 Saleen)
Old 06-15-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen 218 View Post
I'm also interested in rear shock tower brace (1989 Saleen)
I chatted at length with Molly Saleen about getting these back into their catalog. At this point I'm not making any orders without their approval. I didn't mind helping out when everything was in limbo but at this point Molly is working hard to get the old catalog stuff put back together and I've offered to assist Molly if she needs any help in getting these ready to order from them. Right now I've hit the pause button on doing anything. Sorry for the inconvenience but it's just where things are in the process.
SA10 #4 Chassis
Closed Thread