The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang For discussion of the 2008-09 Racecraft 420S Mustang. Owners of the 2007-08 "Sleeper GT" can also find help here.

Old 05-16-2010

Default Qs: Looking to purchase a 2009 420s?

I have always been a Saleen enthusiast, but until now could not quite afford to own one. I am seriously considering purchasing a Racecraft 420S or maybe even a 2007 PJ. I have a few of questions about the 420S that I know you guys that already own this great car, can answer.

1. How difficult is it to remove the tape on the hood, lower sides and rear?
2. These have the stock mustang GT 3.31 posi differential? Is this the best choice for 95% street use, 5% track?
3. Saleen brochures and advertising show rear wheels are 18x10, but window sticker shows all 4 are 18x9. which is correct?
4. My understanding is that this engine/supercharger has all the hardware required for 475hp, but is rated at 420, and actually makes about 450. Ive heard a mod to the airbox, possibly R&R the exhaust, and tune get you to 475. Is this correct?

thanks
Bob
Old 05-16-2010
SOEC Member

3:31's were horrid...much happier w/ the 3:73's- that's all I know
Old 05-18-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

hey bob, the stickers are easy to remove, the gears are fine for the street. 3:55 or 3:73s will let you get into the power alil quicker but with the 3:31s its fun to spank vettes on the highway, lol. And contact me directly if interested in buying one. Mine is about to go on sale. 2009, black 420s , 7000 miles. my build list is in the room. all work is done. selling for next project.
Old 05-20-2010
SOEC Member

Bob,

2) I have the stock 3.31's and they are pretty slow. Yet, I've done pretty well against some modd'd LS1's and a few others. I plan to change them to 3.73's in june. With the 5speed and blower, I think the 3.73's will be fine. Most people seem to go with 3.73's when blown.

3) No. All four should be 18x9. When i spoke to saleen, they said that was the original ideal(to have them staggered) but didn't do it. Maybe some were, but not most

4) The car is rated at 420HP at the crank with the stock tune. On a dynojet, I made 377/378 WHP/WTQ using SAE correction which puts the car right about 420 at the crank. The 420S's have the bigger injectors and the 3.8" pulley. With a retune, intake and exhaust, I'm sure you can get closer to that 475 crank. With a pulley, you can make the power you want.

Becareful with power ratings. Dyno numbers are to be used only as a tool to measure improvement. Mike on here made 393 I believe stock but that was STD correction which is 4% higher than SAE. So ignore the numbers. The car has the potential. Get it on the dyno when you first get it, then go back tot he same dyno after you do your mods. Thats the best way to measure your gains.

Oh and get the car!
Old 06-21-2010

Default Bought a new 2009 420S

Bought it and brought it home last weekend. Much better deal my opinion than buying a 2011 GT, not in love with the new rear end styling. I will put up some pics after I get the bugs cleaned off front end. It is Grabber Orange. I have read that 31 420s were built in 2008. does anyone know how many were built in 2009? Is there a breakdown by color for both years?

A Saleen rep has told me all engine hardware is there to support 475hp, and it only requires an airbox mod, and Borla Stinger (or similar) exhaust to get 475hp. Can anyone verify/clarify? What is the airbox mod? is a re-tune required?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 06-23-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbob49 View Post
It is Grabber Orange. I have read that 31 420s were built in 2008. does anyone know how many were built in 2009? Is there a breakdown by color for both years?
MJA/SPV should have some info on the production of 2009 Racecrafts. I believe most of what ASC/Saleen produced in 2009 were RCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbob49 View Post
A Saleen rep has told me all engine hardware is there to support 475hp, and it only requires an airbox mod, and Borla Stinger (or similar) exhaust to get 475hp. Can anyone verify/clarify? What is the airbox mod?
I think Saleen cut the bottom of the stock housing.