The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 01-06-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default 1985 Letter of Authenticity Errors

Has anyone received a Letter of Authenticity from Saleen that contained errors related to the car? I've seen a couple where Saleen misspelled some words or the owners name, but I'm wondering about the facts or statistics related to the car?

I ask because I got one for my 85 and it has a couple mistakes listed on it. The first one is they call the car a "coupe" when it's actually a hatchback. This isn't a huge deal but I've seen LOA's that specifically say "hatchback" so I know they've made that distinction on previous letters.

Next, they refer to the car as an "S302," which I've never seen before. I know they make S302's but they didn't in 1985, so is that just what they call a car with a 302ci engine, or should that be changed?

Lastly they list the car as being a "2-valve" with a 5-speed manual trans when it's actually a 4-valve.

None of these things are that big of a deal and anyone that knows these cars will see that these are just mistakes. I'm wondering if this is common for the early cars, and if anyone has asked Saleen to send out a corrected letter? If so, did they? IMO, for the $95 dollar fee they charge, the letter should contain the correct information. What do you guys think? What would you do if you were me?
Old 01-06-2014
Administrator

The Saleen LOA template needs revised. Until this happens, some of the wording will not be correct.

Yes. The vehicle should not be called an S302.

In 1985 a 5.0 Liter HO 4V... the "4V" stood for "4 venturi." Referencing the carburetor.
Old 01-06-2014

Ok, but either way it should say 4 instead of 2 right?
Old 01-06-2014
Administrator

No. The old small block Ford is a 2 valve engine.
Old 01-06-2014

Oh, so the decal on a carb'd 85 GT (5.0 liter 4V H.O.) is referring to the number of venturi's, but the Saleen loa is referring to the valves per cylinder (2)?
Old 01-06-2014
Administrator

Yes, this is correct.
Old 01-06-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

lower case v = valve (per cylinder)
upper case V = Venturi aka "barrel"

They are confusing your Fox with a 2005+ model three reasons:
  1. "S302" is a Saleen model from 2007+. Since the Fox engine has the same displacement, that where the confusion starts.
  2. The S302 models came in 2v and 3v versions. (The 3v engine was new for 2005.) They are calling yours a "2-valve" because the old 5.0L engine was also 2v.
  3. Out of this confusion with the 2005+ engine/model is why they also called your car a coupe. All non-convertible 1994+ Mustangs are called "coupes".
Old 01-07-2014

Thanks guys.
Old 08-21-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

I just experienced a similar situation. I ordered my LOA and when I got it, everything looked good except it said it came with a 6 speed, how great that could've been, I knew it had to be a mistake. I called saleen again and talked to the receptionist, I think she types out the letters, cause when I told her and she looked it up, she couldn't believe she put 6 speed instead of 5. She's fixing it and sending out. Give them a call, they make it right I'm sure, everyone I've talked to was really nice.
Old 11-20-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

I purchased mine in 2009 and it had a couple errors in it as well. I do not remember what the first one was but the second one was on the selling dealership. My car came from Damerow Ford but the LOA had it listed as Thomason Ford. Thomason Ford did not exist in 1986 in Beaverton. Scott Thomason bought Damerow from the Francis family in the early 2000's and changed the name to Thomason Ford. I asked for the corrections but they only corrected the one and left Thomason Ford. Once Thomason got in hot water they changed the name back to Damerow
Old 11-20-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
I purchased mine in 2009 and it had a couple errors in it as well. I do not remember what the first one was but the second one was on the selling dealership. My car came from Damerow Ford but the LOA had it listed as Thomason Ford. Thomason Ford did not exist in 1986 in Beaverton. Scott Thomason bought Damerow from the Francis family in the early 2000's and changed the name to Thomason Ford. I asked for the corrections but they only corrected the one and left Thomason Ford. Once Thomason got in hot water they changed the name back to Damerow
For most of 2008 through early 2012, these LOAs were produced in Michigan. At some point, the Saleen vehicle database and owner registry was either corrupted or unplugged.

The dealer name change may have been a global change to the database when this name change happened and impacted all entries for Damerow Ford. This can be corrected with the new database & owners registry.