The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 09-08-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Default IDK: I'm thinking about building 298E engine... or selling

I have an s281sc 2006-#240. In windveil blue, beautiful car, everyone loves the color. I get compliments every where I go, and it's a show stopper at the car meets and shows. Well the tuner blew the engine when I first had him tune it, he ran it too lean on the dyno, caused detonation to the engine and blew the head gasket, bait and switch started picking my car apart, telling me my cams were bad, blah blah blah, at 43k miles and thats not even half of the lies, lol... Anyways we ended up going with a new remanufactured motor 4.6L 3 valve from Ford, with the warranty on it. Car runs very good now, and shows very well. I'm 20 years old and my priorities should be getting my own house soon, not sure yet. But everyone keeps telling me I need to keep my car. I have less than half of the cars worth on a loan, that's it. So I'm in good shape. By no means do I need to sell. But here's what I'm thinking. Do I want to keep this car for the rest of my life and build it to be even more of a monster than it is? Or do I want to sell it stock and let someone else have their fun. I always wanted an 2008-2009 S302E(And leave it stock). But I can build this car to be much better.

The build would consist of probably going with the 298E stroker kit by JDM Team and their cam they used for the s302e sterling edition, more boost, and possibly changing my 5 speed for the 6 speed in the extreme models. Of course, supporting mods too. The car only has 46k miles, and I wouldn't start building it until the warranty ends. I'm the 2nd owner. I'm not the typical young kid with a sports car, my parents aren't sponsoring it, and I don't beat the living **** out of it.

What are the limits to these saleen blowers? How much power am I limited to at the wheels with a ported blower? I would want to keep the saleen charger on it. But I'm guessing I won't be able to make much more than 800 to the wheels with this blower.(Which is more than enough)

I want opinions though, what should I do?
Old 09-08-2016
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S302Extreme View Post
I have an s281sc 2006-#240. In windveil blue, beautiful car, everyone loves the color. I get compliments every where I go, and it's a show stopper at the car meets and shows. Well the tuner blew the engine when I first had him tune it, he ran it too lean on the dyno, caused detonation to the engine and blew the head gasket, bait and switch started picking my car apart, telling me my cams were bad, blah blah blah, at 43k miles and thats not even half of the lies, lol... Anyways we ended up going with a new remanufactured motor 4.6L 3 valve from Ford, with the warranty on it. Car runs very good now, and shows very well. I'm 20 years old and my priorities should be getting my own house soon, not sure yet. But everyone keeps telling me I need to keep my car. I have less than half of the cars worth on a loan, that's it. So I'm in good shape. By no means do I need to sell. But here's what I'm thinking. Do I want to keep this car for the rest of my life and build it to be even more of a monster than it is? Or do I want to sell it stock and let someone else have their fun. I always wanted an 2008-2009 S302E(And leave it stock). But I can build this car to be much better.

The build would consist of probably going with the 298E stroker kit by JDM Team and their cam they used for the s302e sterling edition, more boost, and possibly changing my 5 speed for the 6 speed in the extreme models. Of course, supporting mods too. The car only has 46k miles, and I wouldn't start building it until the warranty ends. I'm the 2nd owner. I'm not the typical young kid with a sports car, my parents aren't sponsoring it, and I don't beat the living **** out of it.

What are the limits to these saleen blowers? How much power am I limited to at the wheels with a ported blower? I would want to keep the saleen charger on it. But I'm guessing I won't be able to make much more than 800 to the wheels with this blower.(Which is more than enough)

I want opinions though, what should I do?

I think your on the right path with the idea to build the bottom end and do the cams. After that the Saleen blower isn't going to give much more then 550-600 RWHP on 91-93 octane. Porting the supercharger lid for a larger TB or finding a series 6.5 lid would be ideal. Your going to need 60lb injectors, GT500 fuel system, JLT cold air, and Full exhaust (headers and mid pipes). This on about 13-14 psi (2.87" pulley) I can see you hitting 550 RWHP easily maybe more.

JimIII
Old 09-08-2016
SOEC Member

Stroke it, increase compression, and go e85 and you can hit 700-750 rwhp.
Old 09-09-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

If you go the 6 speed route find a GT500 donor or buy a Tremec kit. I wouldn't recommend the setup that was used in the Extreme model.
2004-013 Ford Mustang Salween Extreme-FOR SALE
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible SA-20 clone
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8-SOLD
2002 Big Dog Pitbull-SOLD
2005-1343 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281. Barricade replica-SOLD
2011 Ram Express
2006-016 Ford Mustang Saleen Extreme-FOR SALE
2012 Ford F150 FX2
2007-300 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281-FOR SALE
2005 Ram SRT-10 RC CE #43-FOR SALE
Old 09-09-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I'd say either live within the current limits, or sell it and buy something else.
From the sound of it, you are probably looking at 15k+ in upgrades.

Big horsepower numbers don't always translate into more fun.
Sold xp8 2000 #30, all options including alcons