The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 11-03-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

Thumbs down Bad news about the ticking sound

So I took my car to the nearest performance motor shop and received some not so great news. The ticking noise I have been hearing in the low gears is definitely inside my engine. They are not sure yet as to what the problem is and now I have to wait til next Friday to get some tests ran...suck!

I know I have posted back and forth with a few people on here about that noise and we all wondered and speculated about what it was. If you read this I'd highly encourage you to get you car looked at ASAP. Honestly I shouldn't have dismissed it this long.

I also have an Uncle in-law who recently retired a Ford mechanic and knows Mustangs the best. He (hopefully) will be taking a look see tomorrow. I'll post up when I have more info.
Old 11-04-2011
Account with Invalid Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaayyrod View Post
So I took my car to the nearest performance motor shop and received some not so great news. The ticking noise I have been hearing in the low gears is definitely inside my engine. They are not sure yet as to what the problem is and now I have to wait til next Friday to get some tests ran...suck!

I know I have posted back and forth with a few people on here about that noise and we all wondered and speculated about what it was. If you read this I'd highly encourage you to get you car looked at ASAP. Honestly I shouldn't have dismissed it this long.

I also have an Uncle in-law who recently retired a Ford mechanic and knows Mustangs the best. He (hopefully) will be taking a look see tomorrow. I'll post up when I have more info.

The 02-04 E cars, are known for Engine problems. I would try to contact other E owners and see what problems they have had. I know multiple E cars have had there engines rebuilt due to a diesel engine sound coming from the engine bay.
I would also recommend a search here, as I remember reading a few threads about E engine problems.

On a side note, the engines in these cars 4.6 SOHC is not an expensive engine to replace/rebuild/upgrade. I replacement short block is usually under $3000.
Old 11-04-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

wow, never heard about the extreme having motor issues, interesting, you would think a built motor would be better than stock. hmm, hope it all works out for you, take pics of the dissassembly if it happens!
Old 11-04-2011
SOEC Member

**** that sucks, sorry to hear that
2003 Saleen S281 S/C Speedster #261 (Sold)
2007 Saleen S281 S/C Scenic Roof #542
2007 Saleen S281 S/C Coupe #235
Old 11-06-2011

I have almost 27k miles on my car. Always made the "diesel" sound from the engine. I really haven't worried about seeing when I do drive the car I drive it hard and have yet to have any engine problems. I know the engines don't sound like they should but would saleen sell an engine then knew was gonna come apart?
I have heard of two engines being replaced and Blacks Automotive rebuilding there's mainly to make more horsepower. I'm gonna drive mine till it throws a rod or whatever. 10k miles ago I had all these so called engine builders say your motor will not last another 3000 miles. So far going strong with mods and a tune.
Old 11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonys04r1 View Post
I have almost 27k miles on my car. Always made the "diesel" sound from the engine. I really haven't worried about seeing when I do drive the car I drive it hard and have yet to have any engine problems. I know the engines don't sound like they should but would saleen sell an engine then knew was gonna come apart?
I have heard of two engines being replaced and Blacks Automotive rebuilding there's mainly to make more horsepower. I'm gonna drive mine till it throws a rod or whatever. 10k miles ago I had all these so called engine builders say your motor will not last another 3000 miles. So far going strong with mods and a tune.
Mine just rolled over 24K and there is no problems driving it normally or WOT, but the ticking sound is driving me crazy and it is a bit worrisome to me. I have an appointment to have a compression test and a borescope done this Friday. So, maybe they can shed some light on what is making the noise and if they find nothing I am going to assume its "normal", but honestly I hope not. Only bc that noise is driving me nuts!

So I'll report back Friday.
Old 11-13-2011

Default Test Results

So, a compression test was performed and revealed that the compression was all over the place. The test results were in PSI. Each cylinder was tested and ranged from 190psi to 130psi. There was also a burnt spark plug found in one of the rear passenger side cylinders.

I was told by the shop owner that the test results coupled with the spark plug situation usually was indicative of cracked pistons from detonation. There was no bore-scope done to confirm as they were on the absolute side of this argument. After that they begin discussing other motor options. A complete new block, pistons, shafts and crank. I entertained the options, but I am not convinced of the problem yet.

One problem I have with the answer they gave me, I haven't looked any of this up yet just a hunch, is that if I had a cracked piston, wouldn't that lead to leaks and a loss of compression?

After leaving I converted the test results from PSI to ATM and the lowest number was 130psi which is one of the cylinders they said probably had a cracked piston. Now the conversion was 130psi = 8.84597531 or 8.55:1 and that is the exact compression ration that this stock engine comes from Saleen with.

So only one piston actually had the correct stock compression and the others went all the way up to 190psi or 12.92:1.

A few questions:
Since there was no loss in compression, is this finding a good rather than a bad?
How can compression get so off in every chamber?
Is this a flash calibration problem/fix?

Anyone please chime in with some knowledge here. I have no idea what is going on. All I do know is the compression is higher than stock and doesn't make sense that I have cracked pistons and not loosing compression.

Thanks all in advance!

Last edited by Jaayyrod; 11-13-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2011

Any way you can make a video and post online of the sound your engine is making. Also any driveability problems? Would it be worth the money for a second opinion ?
Old 11-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonys04r1 View Post
Any way you can make a video and post online of the sound your engine is making. Also any driveability problems? Would it be worth the money for a second opinion ?
Yeah, I sure can. Prolly be tomorrow I have studyin to do tonight. There are not any driving problems with it...it runs great. Even better now that I am running on 8 cylinders :-)

My uncle in-law retired a couple of years ago as a FORD mechanic and he said he doesn't think there are cracked pistons...but that was before I had it checked out.

I think I am going to get a second opinion though. I think it'll be worth it. I may also use my uncle to tear down the engine and see what is what. I just need to be sure I can get ahold of the gasket kits before all that happens.
Old 12-21-2011

any updates?
Old 12-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordS281 View Post
any updates?
I posted a new thread about why the engine is sounding the way it does and what needs to be done to correct it under this link...S281E Problem

Now I am dealing with rotor issues. Somehow it got down to metal on metal on my front passenger rotor, but only on the outside pad. The other pads are fine. No idea why or how it got run down so fast and only on the outside.

It took me forever to find someone to turn the rotor. Everyone is saying they can't or that it is too thin and worn out. Worn out...on a car that has 27k miles on it! Either they don't know what they are talking about or these $1,000 set of Alcon rotors are pieces of ****.

Anyhow, the guy (that I found just today) turned it for me but its still not flat as it should be. I called a Saleen dealer in Foley, AL, but they can't even find the brake pads, so screw them The pads I ordered from S281 Motor Sports do not fit. Hawk Part No. HB110.654 which come to find out is for AP brakes not Alcon.

So, now I am in search of the correct part no which I hope is these listed:

The pad part numbers for Type B Alcons include:
Alcon 4441
AP FRP302
Carbone Lorraine 5005W50
Ferodo FRP302 or 1077
Hawk HB105
Mintex MDB1697
Pagid U1595 or U1607RS
Hawk HB 105
PFC 7700.200
Porterfield FRP302.630