The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 12-05-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Help: Kenne bell boost a pump install

07 s/c model install boost a pump, I believe I tap into the white wire? Please someone confirm! Its the most left wire when plug is connected to pump.
Old 12-06-2014
SOEC Member

This should help.
Old 12-06-2014

Ohh! I see now, except mine didn't come with a control it just has a little thing on the side that goes all the way to the engine bay to go and read how much boost its making thus turning on the boost a pump I think.
Old 12-06-2014
SOEC Member

These are Brenspeeds instructions. They recommend installing it without the boost switch & the controller turned to max so I guess the boost a pump is always on.
Old 12-06-2014

That's how I would like to run mine, except I dont have the control to dial it, but everything else is there. Ill try to install as is after and see how it runs.
Old 12-06-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbar View Post
These are Brenspeeds instructions. They recommend installing it without the boost switch & the controller turned to max so I guess the boost a pump is always on.
tbar ! What you happen to know if a boost a pump is either required or recommended for applications using a 3.6" pulley ?

Both Brenspeed and JDM say that a boost a pump isn't needed for 3.6" pulley applications running their Saleen tune calibrations..

My understanding is the 3.6" pulley provides a max boost between 6-7.5 psi and is considered safe with the stock fuel system ?

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and opinions on to whether my info is accurate ?

Thanks, Rocky
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 12-06-2014

I believe the stock pump could supply up to 400whp, dont quote me.
Old 12-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TorchRedGT View Post
tbar ! Would you happen to know if a boost a pump is either required or recommended for applications using a 3.6" pulley ?

Both Brenspeed and JDM say that a boost a pump isn't needed for 3.6" pulley applications running their Saleen tune calibrations..

My understanding is the 3.6" pulley provides a max boost between 6-7.5 psi and is considered safe with the stock fuel system ?

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and opinions on to whether my info is accurate ?

Thanks, Rocky
Sorry ! I meant to say, Would you happen to know ?
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 12-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXKillswitchXx View Post
I believe the stock pump could supply up to 400whp, dont quote me.
I'm not sure what the stock pump can handle either.. I also don't know what the 475 HP upgrade kit is at the rear wheels with a 3.6" pulley..

All I do know is.. Saleen includes the 3.875" pulley with the 475 HP upgrade kit and supposedly doesn't require upgrading the fuel system.. However I'm assuming that according to Saleen's description, this applies only for those running the Saleen PCM calibrations
Old 12-06-2014

According to Justin Burcham at JPC Racing, the stock fuel "system" can safely handle 450rwhp naturally aspirated and 400rwhp forced induction. The Saleen 475hp Upgrade was rated at the crank and with Saleen's conservative tune there is about 12-13 percent loss through the driveline to the rear wheels. This equates to about 415rwhp with the upgrade kit; so Saleen upgraded the fuel injectors to #39 to handle the small difference. It seems then, both JDM and Brenspeed agree with Burcham that a BAP, or other fuel pump upgrade, is not required with the 3.6 pulley as long as the stock #24 injectors are replaced with at least #39.
Old 12-06-2014
SOEC Member

Both Brenspeed & JDM told me you don't need it with the 3.6. JDM told me I don't really need it with a 3.4 but I think better safe than sorry. I've also heard guys say they where lean WOT with the 3.6. I got myself a wideband AF gauge to keep an eye on things since I'm using email tunes.

Last edited by tbar; 12-06-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2014

Yeah, reason for my install is I want to drop to a 3.4 inch pully I believe better to be safe than sorry like tbar said.
Old 12-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFire281 View Post
According to Justin Burcham at JPC Racing, the stock fuel "system" can safely handle 450rwhp naturally aspirated and 400rwhp forced induction. The Saleen 475hp Upgrade was rated at the crank and with Saleen's conservative tune there is about 12-13 percent loss through the driveline to the rear wheels. This equates to about 415rwhp with the upgrade kit; so Saleen upgraded the fuel injectors to #39 to handle the small difference. It seems then, both JDM and Brenspeed agree with Burcham that a BAP, or other fuel pump upgrade, is not required with the 3.6 pulley as long as the stock #24 injectors are replaced with at least #39.
I have both the 39lb injectors and 3.6 pulley with HT0 plugs gaped @ 0032. Saleen 475 upgraded 98mm airbox lid w/hard plastic intake tube and stock airbox with the bottom cut out..

So in your opinion, is my car safe enough with the stock fuel system with an aftermarket tune ? or should I either install a BAP or step down to the 3.875 pulley instead ?
Old 12-07-2014

Quote:
Both Brenspeed & JDM told me you don't need it with the 3.6. JDM told me I don't really need it with a 3.4 but I think better safe than sorry. I've also heard guys say they where lean WOT with the 3.6. I got myself a wideband AF gauge to keep an eye on things since I'm using email tunes.
So what were your A/F results with the wideband ? And are you also using the 3.6 or 3.4 pulley ?
Old 12-07-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
So what were your A/F results with the wideband ? And are you also using the 3.6 or 3.4 pulley ?
I've got a 3.4. I have Brenspeed & JDM tune for the same setup. The Brenspeed is around 11.7. The JDM tune was at 10.5 when I got it but they adjusted it to get it at around 11.7 too.
Old 12-08-2014
SOEC Member

I have the Brenspeed stage 3 kit with a local tune and a BAP with 463 rwhp and no problems. The BAP really wont do anything until you mash the throttle and it gives it that extra fuel boost (as the name says). Just cruising around town and what not the BAP isn't really doing much.
08-045 S281 SC, Tuned by Pro-Dyno, 3.2 SC pulley, HT0 plugs, JLT series 3 CAI, vacuum upgrade, Kenne Bell BAP, MGW shifter, JBA catted H pipe, Moroso Oil Catch can, '11 mirrors, MMD hood struts, shorty antenna.

01-001 SC, Tuned by Pro Dyno, 2.8 SC pulley, MoSaleen, CAI, Off road X pipe, Mcleod Super Street clutch, H&R Super Sport springs, shorty antenna.
Old 12-08-2014

Quote:
I've got a 3.4. I have Brenspeed & JDM tune for the same setup. The Brenspeed is around 11.7. The JDM tune was at 10.5 when I got it but they adjusted it to get it at around 11.7 too.
So are you saying that I shouldn't need a BAP running a 3.6 pulley with a Brenspeed or JDM tune ?
Old 12-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb7144 View Post
I have the Brenspeed stage 3 kit with a local tune and a BAP with 463 rwhp and no problems. The BAP really wont do anything until you mash the throttle and it gives it that extra fuel boost (as the name says). Just cruising around town and what not the BAP isn't really doing much.
So let's say that I go with either Brenspeed's stage 1 or stage 2 kits.. Would my car be safe running a 3.6 pulley with the stock fuel pump ? or would you recommend getting the BAP for my set up ?
Old 12-08-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
So let's say that I go with either Brenspeed's stage 1 or stage 2 kits.. Would my car be safe running a 3.6 pulley with the stock fuel pump ? or would you recommend getting the BAP for my set up ?
Stock fuel pump is good for the 3.6 pulley.
Old 12-08-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
If they don't include the BAP in the stage 1 or 2 package I would assume you would be fine without it. They know what they are doing over there.
08-045 S281 SC, Tuned by Pro-Dyno, 3.2 SC pulley, HT0 plugs, JLT series 3 CAI, vacuum upgrade, Kenne Bell BAP, MGW shifter, JBA catted H pipe, Moroso Oil Catch can, '11 mirrors, MMD hood struts, shorty antenna.

01-001 SC, Tuned by Pro Dyno, 2.8 SC pulley, MoSaleen, CAI, Off road X pipe, Mcleod Super Street clutch, H&R Super Sport springs, shorty antenna.
Old 12-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb7144 View Post
If they don't include the BAP in the stage 1 or 2 package I would assume you would be fine without it. They know what they are doing over there.
I totally agree about Brenspeed and JDM, as they've been doing Saleen calibrations for many years and never heard of any complaints or negative feedback..

I suppose it's always best in having the air/fuel checked by a local dyno shop to make certain the stock fuel pump is providing enough fuel just to be on the safe side and having that additional piece of mind to go along with it as well
Old 12-13-2014

Anyone have any info on this fuel pump?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Mustang-06-09
Old 12-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFire281 View Post
What the car can handle power wise has more to do with then just a HP number. A good tune certainly makes a difference as well as a properly sized cooling and fuel system based on your driving style and local climate. We build enough motors here for clients with 450rwhp and almost always they've never addressed the stock cooling system rated at 300hp with a conservative driver....not what we do to our cars...or at least should be doing!

What an engine can take is relative to more than just HP.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"