The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1994-1998 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1994-1998 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-23-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Can someone please take me to Saleen school?

I just purchased a 1997 S281 Supercharged. VIN # 1FALP45X3VF205120

I know it's a real Saleen but I don't know if it came supercharged from the factory. It sure looks like it, but there's nothing in the registry that I looked through online or anything in the VIN# to indicate it's supercharged.

Also, the power these stock SOHC cars have are 220/285, but about the supercharged numbers? How much boost does this SC produce? What's the name of it?

Also, what are the mods that are preferred to get these cars to right around 400rwhp which is the limit on the block? PI heads? Will they work with the supercharger? Smaller pulley? Previous owner did 42lb injectors and may have upgraded to the 255 lph fuel pump. It currently has Bassani mid-length headers, with a catted x-pipe and catback. He also had a T-56 transmission installed.

I would greatly appreciate any insight so I can get an idea what I can and can't do on this car. I don't plan to go all out on modding it, but I would like to get the most I can out of it and just enjoy it.

Hopefully the pictures I attached work.
Attached Thumbnails
Saleen 2.jpg  

Saleen 3.jpg  

Saleen.jpg  

Old 10-23-2014
Administrator

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forums!

97-0247
TORSEN, 3.55 gears, Spyder, Chrome Wheels, Black Top

You have one of the last 1997 S281s shipped for the model year. Also, 97-0248 is an exact twin to your car.

You S281 appears to have a Saleen Series I supercharger. This system was announced as a 1998 S281 option in Saleen dealer material, but this option was ultimately not offered. The Series I made its debut late in 1998 for the SA-15 model.

With a stock 1997 4.6, your power numbers will be similar to the 1998 SA-15: 320hp/390ft.lb.

If you have a PI-4.6 engine swap, then your power numbers will be similar to a 1999-2000 S281 Supercharged: 350hp/410ft.lb.

The column mounted boost gauge is aftermarket.

Contact Saleen for build specifications of you vehicle.
Old 10-24-2014

Thank you Dave, really good information. The gentlemen I bought this car from has the twin with only 26 miles on it! Crazy.

So as far as modifying this car to get a little more power. The engine only has 32k miles so I don't want to do an entire PI engine swap.

Will a PI head swap work with this supercharger?

What's the maintenance like on this Series I supercharger/intercooler?

Any 'tricks' that I need to do to avoid overheating and/or gain a little more power as it sits?
Old 10-24-2014

Also, I keep coming up on Chicane Sports Tuning but I see it is now closed. Who else is preferred for aftermarket parts for these cars?
Old 10-26-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Beautiful ride. What type of aftermarket modifications are you looking for?
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 10-26-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97S281SC View Post
Will a PI head swap work with this supercharger?
Ask the previous owner if have bought a Series I kit for a non-PI 4.6 (1996-1998) or for a PI 4.6. I am under the impression intake manifolds are different between the two.

Quote:
What's the maintenance like on this Series I supercharger/intercooler?
View our supercharger manuals.

http://soec.org/literature/manuals/
Old 10-26-2014

Thank you Dave for the manual link. The previous owner doesn't know if it's a PI or NPI motor since the cars were ordered by his grandfather whom has passed. I see nothing on the paperwork claiming this is a PI headed car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordS281 View Post
Beautiful ride. What type of aftermarket modifications are you looking for?
Thank you. I'm actually just looking to get the car running 100%. It's bucking under hard acceleration. I want to get it dyno tuned and was going to order a SCT tuner, but I just read on the manuals that only SALEEN can make any changes to the programming of the ECT. Is this true?

For now, my mod list is below:

Dyno tune

66mm s/c pulley or 10% bigger crank pulley - previous owner says the car is only running 6 PSI, so I'd like to get to the 9-10 that these things can turn.

S/C to lower manifold cooling plate - was told this helps cool the sc down a lot faster and better. Supposedly gets anywhere between 15-25 rwhp. I'm not sure how true this is about the power gains, but if it at least gets it to run cooler, I see nothing wrong with that.

Possibly a heat exchanger, not sure how good/bad the stock one is. Any input? Was recommended the LFP.

Debating the PI head and cam swap and porting the s/c.

Ultimate goal would be to get to 380-390 rwhp. I'd really like to avoid doing the PI head install, but I'm not sure I'd get to my goal without them.
Old 10-26-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you Dave for the manual link. The previous owner doesn't know if it's a PI or NPI motor since the cars were ordered by his grandfather whom has passed. I see nothing on the paperwork claiming this is a PI headed car.
Can you ask the grandson who did the supercharger install and when?
Old 10-26-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I believe saleen made 2 series 1 style superchargers. One was for PI heads the other was for non pi heads.

The cooling plate you are talking about is suppose to prevent the heat from going around the intercooler. In the saleen superchargers there was gaps around the intercooler causing heat to not be cooled properly and the car run hotter. 21st century performance makes a braided intercooler line kit and also a intercooler that lower Temps which in result increases power. A lot of people have had great results installing them. I've heard good things about LFP and afco. Is your exhaust stock? Maybe a high flow midpipe could increases airflow and compliment the borlas.
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 10-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Can you ask the grandson who did the supercharger install and when?

His grandfather ordered it from the factory this way. He said he got both of them s/c from the start.
Old 10-26-2014
Administrator

Quote:
His grandfather ordered it from the factory this way. He said he got both of them s/c from the start.
Can we talk in the near future? We can trade phone numbers through private message.
Old 10-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordS281 View Post
I believe saleen made 2 series 1 style superchargers. One was for PI heads the other was for non pi heads.

The cooling plate you are talking about is suppose to prevent the heat from going around the intercooler. In the saleen superchargers there was gaps around the intercooler causing heat to not be cooled properly and the car run hotter. 21st century performance makes a braided intercooler line kit and also a intercooler that lower Temps which in result increases power. A lot of people have had great results installing them. I've heard good things about LFP and afco. Is your exhaust stock? Maybe a high flow midpipe could increases airflow and compliment the borlas.
It came with Bassani ceramic coated mid length headers, and catted bassani x-pipe. I'll call 21st century and see what they have to offer.

I guess I'm going to have to reach out to Saleen to confirm the 2 different s/c designs. If they did make NPI and PI design, the PI head swap is out of the question.
Old 10-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Can we talk in the near future? We can trade phone numbers through private message.
PM has been sent.
Old 01-22-2015
SOEC Member

Found this on a Crown Vic site. It may be helpful in determining PI or Not. This image is of the cyl head exhaust port on the right hand end as you face it. PI will be embossed below the part number. You should be able to see it with a light and mirror. Look at the front end of the right cyl. head just above the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by dhavi4226; 01-22-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2015

Thanks dhavi. I will look this afternoon. I have found out that the plugs in my car are the TR6 4177, which indicates 03+ PI heads. Am I correct on that assumption?

This number on the head would serve as confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhavi4226 View Post
Found this on a Crown Vic site. It may be helpful in determining PI or Not. This image is of the cyl head exhaust port on the right hand end as you face it. PI will be embossed below the part number. You should be able to see it with a light and mirror. Look at the front end of the right cyl. head just above the exhaust manifold.
Old 01-22-2015
SOEC Member

Quote:
Thanks dhavi. I will look this afternoon. I have found out that the plugs in my car are the TR6 4177, which indicates 03+ PI heads. Am I correct on that assumption?

This number on the head would serve as confirmation.
Not sure about plugs or part #. I would be looking for the PI under Part #. As I said, this is from a Crown Vic site . Not sure what year they were talking about, maybe 95'. P/N may only be similar.
I believe the PI engines were used in Vics and Mercs some time before the Mustang.
By the way, nice car!

Doug
97-0156
S281