The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 12-08-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Help: Blew rods out block - 2006 GT, w/ Saleen Series VI

Hi I'm new to the forum an looking for advice, an I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
I bought a 2006 gt, with saleen s/c kit, has 43,000 miles.
I had the car 5 days, driving to work running late, I passed a car an got upto about 85mph an an began to cruise at 75 to 80 when instantly with no warning it blew 3 rods out the block, smoke an oil everywhere an a very expensive sounding boom. Lol
Now I never thought after 5 days it'd do that lol, I was " told "the tune was horribly wrong an caused the failure. My question is since I'm replacing the engine do I go fully forged internals? Just looking for some advice, an yes I know forged is the way to go. But since I just bought the car I'm thinking budget wise. Or if I need to just buckle up an pay for a forged block. Pictures an questions about the car welcome. oh an 6psi boost was all I ever saw on the gauge.. thanks
Old 12-08-2014
SOEC Member

I would say that sucks first, then I would advise this:
Consider your final goals, what do you want out of the car? Are you going to keep it Naturally aspirated or will you want to boost it? In the end I would look for a used block and go with new forged internals. Did your heads survive or will you need to replace those as well? What is your budget? Also consider depending on the tranny and rear end if you go crazy on the motor you will likely have to replace these as well... In the end I would focus on the internals. I would focus on the engine internals and build not keep the mods light until your ready to replace the drive line. There are a million options out there for crate motors as well again depending on your budget!

Ken
08 S302E Coupe #01 "Black Ops" USSOCOM Tribute Car. Sponsored by 281 Motorsports, HRE, Cortex, BMR, Aeromotive, Barton, ACT, SCT, Schroth, CSF & Toyo Tires! Mods to numerous to list! God bless our Special Operations Soldiers and their families!
Old 12-08-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

My intensions may include upgrades later on, I didn't buy it for a daily driver.
I been looking at short blocks from CH performance an they have 2 options I was looking at. $4600 for the 5.1 stroker block.
Or stay stock bore an stroke an its 3200$

I'd say my budget would be $5000.

As far as cylinder heads go I have not tore into it yet, but looking at the prices for heads I need to find that out.
Old 12-10-2014
SOEC Member

I would stick with the standard block and maybe stroke it to 5.0 liter. use forged internals and go from there if your budget is 5K!
08 S302E Coupe #01 "Black Ops" USSOCOM Tribute Car. Sponsored by 281 Motorsports, HRE, Cortex, BMR, Aeromotive, Barton, ACT, SCT, Schroth, CSF & Toyo Tires! Mods to numerous to list! God bless our Special Operations Soldiers and their families!
Old 12-11-2014
Banned

I would go with a Brenspeed or JDM Engineering built short block & tune. Your supercharger probably needs to be torn down & checked for metal and debris from the engine blowing up. Its going to cost you more that your $5000 budget though.
Old 12-22-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

A 5k budget can be done if your willing to live with stock internals again. But you should look at why you had a failure....since you just recently bought the car you'll never know that. My money is on the fact that the previous owner might have known. Either way depending on what your short term and long term goals are, you may not need a forged motor. Many customers survive a LONG time with a stock motor. A good tune, a good cooling and fuel system will ensure a long life. It just realy depends on what your looking for.

As a fyi, we do build engines as well.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 12-22-2014
SOEC Member

Check this link out and give them a call.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170378905679
Old 01-10-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

I have a long block forsale for cheap if your interested. I cracked one of my heads and did a full engine replacement.
Old 01-10-2015

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red6 View Post
I have a long block forsale for cheap if your interested. I cracked one of my heads and did a full engine replacement.
Paul...I can't believe no one could figure out that overheating issue...glad we did!!

Old 01-27-2015
SOEC Member

What was the overheating issue Jason?
Old 01-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meikol02 View Post
What was the overheating issue Jason?
His coolant overflow tank from his Supercharger manufacture didnt drill out the hole on the return line, so the recirculatory system wasnt working properly. It eventually either lifted the head gasket or cracked the head. We never took it apart to discover exactly which it was.

Old 02-04-2015
SOEC Member

That is an unexpected problem. Thanks for the reply.