The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1994-1998 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1994-1998 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-20-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Installing MM Panhard Bar - 1997 S281

I've always wanted to just go all out and get the whole Maximum Grip package from MM, but the cost isnt feasible, so i'll do pieces here and there. I've got MM Front SS brake Lines/Solid Rack Bushings/RLCA's, just recently replaced all bushings/tie rods/ball joints and saw an big improvement in that alone on my 97 GT Saleen.

Then got a chance to purchase a used PHB for a 99-04 car at a very cheap deal(i'm glad it was cheap as I would have been very unhappy with the condition at normal used prices). The main difference being the 12mm(79-97) v. 14mm(98-04) RLCA bolts. After the PHB got delivered it was missing a few bolts and could tell the mounting brackets needed help. Purchased a 12mm bolt for LCA and others missing form an online bolt supplier(grade 8+). Had to weld all but one hole on the mounting brackets shut and redrill in the proper area. Previous install was done incorrectly and the damage had opened up the holes(obvious damage from being loose). It also looked like installer drilled more holes in the bracket to make it fit, no idea?. Brackets were caved in from not using spacers, so everything need to be straightened back out. Got all that done in an afternoon, realized having a TIG is invaluable.

So after fixing the PHB, The install on the Panhard is actually pretty straight forward, MM has detailed instructions with pictures. Couple things I did notice is borla/saleen exhaust has to come out and there is interference with a fuel line mounting bolt on the inner passenger side frame rail.

Currently, I've installed the LCA/Shock mount bracket (also needed a little work to fix from previous improper install) on the driver's side and have pulled the exhaust after getting clearance problems. Next up is getting the actual PHB installed on the car, may have to purchase new frame inserts and spacers to get it properly installed. Hoping not, as it'll be ~15$ per side from MM.

I'm going to take some pictures to put up here on the progress, anyone else tackled this install themselves on a 94-98? PHB Install looks like a piece of cake, exhaust looks more involved but definitely possible, I enjoy a challenge!
Old 10-22-2015

Have you done research on the negative side of having a panhard bar with the stock 4 link suspension?

If not you should do some searching on Corner Carvers and Corral in the road racing section. Your upper control arm bushings will not be happy. You will need to replace them often. I would remove one of the uppers and release some of the binding stress. It's called a poor mans three link or PML3. Search it.

There are also some topics on Corral about which exhaust fits with the MM panhard.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction. I started with wanting to just "freshen up" my worn suspension one winter. Full Griggs road race kit later and it's done.
Old 10-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfloatn View Post
Have you done research on the negative side of having a panhard bar with the stock 4 link suspension?

If not you should do some searching on Corner Carvers and Corral in the road racing section. Your upper control arm bushings will not be happy. You will need to replace them often. I would remove one of the uppers and release some of the binding stress. It's called a poor mans three link or PML3. Search it.

There are also some topics on Corral about which exhaust fits with the MM panhard.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction. I started with wanting to just "freshen up" my worn suspension one winter. Full Griggs road race kit later and it's done.
I've done some research on that and the whole PM3L seems to do more trouble than its worth. For now i'm going to just leave 4-link, i just replaced the axle bushings and I have plans to pick up a TA in the future. I found this good post with vertical bind #s, interesting read

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...98&postcount=5

I want to resuse the stock Borla/Saleen setup as i'm a fan of the tailpipes, i've got the ability and a TIG to reroute the pipes as needed(built a TT kit on a previous car). Plus someone had welded SLP mufflers in the catback when i got the car, so it's already been cut up, so i'm not ruining a mint piece.

I got lucky and was able to reuse the frame inserts. Got everything measured out and holes drilled. Problem is i have to make spacers now for the frame mounts, doesnt make sense to get them from MM when shipping would double the cost.
Old 10-27-2015

Making the exhaust yourself is a good plan. I paid two different muffler shops to screw it up. I finally purchased three 180* mandrel stainless pieces and made my own. I was able to cut the sock Borla and use some of the existing bends as well.
Old 10-28-2015

Quote:
Making the exhaust yourself is a good plan. I paid two different muffler shops to screw it up. I finally purchased three 180* mandrel stainless pieces and made my own. I was able to cut the stock Borla and use some of the existing bends as well.
I can only imagine, the SLP mufflers the previous owner had a shop weld in had all kinds of leaks, Multiple holes the size of an pencil eraser and the catback got misaligned rubbing on the bumper.

Have any pictures of how yours is now? It looked like when i tried to install the PHB with the exhaust on it was interfering on both sides behind the gas tank.
Old 10-28-2015

No pictures right now. I had a MAC Prochamber that one of the exhaust shops modified to fit the torque arm mount. It was so screwed up I trashed it.

I installed an X-pipe because it was easier to modify to fit. That was a mistake. I hate the sound.

I ordered a stainless Prochamber that arrived Monday. I'll be taking it back apart this weekend to install it. I'll get some photos when I'm done.
Old 10-28-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
No pictures right now. I had a MAC Prochamber that one of the exhaust shops modified to fit the torque arm mount. It was so screwed up I trashed it.

I installed an X-pipe because it was easier to modify to fit. That was a mistake. I hate the sound.

I ordered a stainless Prochamber that arrived Monday. I'll be taking it back apart this weekend to install it. I'll get some photos when I'm done.
Sorry to hear about the shop damaging your prochamber!
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 11-01-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I've just done the install of the MM PHB on a '93 and '2000 mustang. I got lucky with both cars, it cleared the exhaust, and T/A rear end cover without any modifications. The drilling can take some time, but all in all....not too bad.
Old 11-12-2015

Been busy past few weeks, got a chance to test fit the tailpipes last night and it looks like the drivers side may actually fit with a little adjustment. That would be a plus, as the passenger side does for sure need more involved work.

PHB install was straightforward, measured lots of times before I drilled holes and it paid off as the brackets are snug on the frame rails and side-side is only off 1/16".
Old 11-19-2015

Got the Drivers side squared away, had to add about 3/8" of length to the top of the hump over the axle which pushed the exhaust back away from the PHB. The rod was actually the only interference on this side and only at the extreme end of compression. Did switch the bolt heads around to have the nut on the outside to give some more room inside the frame rails for the exhaust

The passenger side on the other hand looks to be more fun as the over the axle piece clears fine, but point right into the chassis mount, hoping to be able to point this part to the outside and adjust the tailpipe accordingly to make it fit.

I do have another issue with the brake lines that is only related to the chassis mount style lines in the 96-98 cars, from about half compression to full compression the rubber/braided hoses are rubbing on the chassis mount for the PHB.
Attached Thumbnails
-1.jpg  

-2.jpg  

Old 01-11-2016

I never updated this, but ended up deciding to modify both sides of the over-axle pieces. The passenger side never cleared from the start, the drivers side cleared initially but hit the PHR when the suspension was loaded.

So in closing, its on the car, exhaust modifications required for both sides. Other than that, pretty easy install.