The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-13-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: Ernie Elliot head specs?

Anyone know the flow #'s or specs on these 3v heads? Called but no answer so I sent them an email and patiently waiting a response. Dunno if they'll even oblige me so thought I'd ask you guys.
Old 08-29-2018
SOEC Member

I bought a set a few years ago for my '06. And yes they seem to work ok.
This is the information I received and 2 photos one of valve area and other of exhaust port

Fully CNC ported by Ernie Elliott Incorporated,
reknowned NASCAR engine builder.
The intake and exhaust ports are beautiful and and smooth.
Nice radius forms and excellent transitions. Improved flow characteristics to increase power output. These heads have better port work than anything out on the internet today!!!

Tony
Attached Images

2008 Extreme S302E #02 RHD Saleen Demo/Press
Parnelli Jones #45 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #46 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #407 Super Shaker RHD (SOLD)
'06 GT Coupe "Saleen Racer" RHD
1970 GT-HO Falcon Phase 2 Owned since new
1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
1965 TBird Conv. 429SCJ Drag Pak 4 speed
Old 08-29-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

no pics showing up. ive checked on my phone and laptop. can you reload them? do yours have a purple paint mark with any digits etched in ? looks to be an identifier but cant find any info or get a call back and they dont answer the phone or respond to emails
Old 08-29-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

also I bought these bare so I have just ordered/ received manley oversized valves with the beadloc grooves and locks
Old 08-29-2018
SOEC Member

Hope this works
Be careful fitting aftermarket oversize valves, I bought a set 1mm larger with special locks done 60 mile running in a and a valve snapped at collet. Caused considerable damage. Found out from JDM & Brenspeed they maintain the original Ford valves.
Can't remember seeing any paint daubs or stampings where are they located
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Broken valve 011.jpg  

Ernie Elliot head 2.jpg  

ERnie Elliot head.jpg  

1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
Old 08-30-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

underneath cylinder 4 & 8 intake ports. that port work looks exactly like my port work. just cant understand why the would do this extensive of a port job and not use bronze guides over the cast iron liners. That sucks about the valve. I do know the factory locks allow the valve to spin in the head which is not good. which springs and retainers did you use ?
Old 10-31-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

just an FYI for anybody buying a set or just fruit for knowledge, I bought the 1mm oversized valves and took the heads to TKM for assembly only to find out that these heads kept the factory valve guide liners, they were straight but my manley valves with beadlocs wiggled around in the guides so I had bronze guides put in only to find when they went to re-do the 5 angle valve job (mandatory when you mess with guides), the oversized seats didnt fit right with the oversized valves so they also had to replace the seats ,then blend the seat edge and do the valve job. heads are top notch now but cost is around 1100 not including valves, locks or springs.
Old 10-31-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie-Parnelli View Post
Hope this works
Be careful fitting aftermarket oversize valves, I bought a set 1mm larger with special locks done 60 mile running in a and a valve snapped at collet. Caused considerable damage. Found out from JDM & Brenspeed they maintain the original Ford valves.
Can't remember seeing any paint daubs or stampings where are they located
Tony
see post above, I first took these heads to a run of the mill performance machine shop to find the guide issue, then opted to let an ultra performance shop with cnc equipment set them up to find the other problems. this most definitely is why your heads failed you.
Old 10-31-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

they also soda blasted them while they were there, seems they gave used 08-up castings for the port work and not new castings as there was old carbon in the chambers that didnt wash away when porting was done. now they look like brand new heads and I couldnt be happier
Old 11-02-2018
SOEC Member

Great information thank you
I am currently in USA and just bought a set of Detroit rocker SC cams from Brenspeed for the Extreme so will see how they perform
1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
Old 11-09-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportinawoody View Post
they also soda blasted them while they were there, seems they gave used 08-up castings for the port work and not new castings as there was old carbon in the chambers that didnt wash away when porting was done. now they look like brand new heads and I couldnt be happier
when you get your cam covers off and tappets out, look very closely at each individual spring around the entire circumference for contact with the head. I dont know if milder springs will contact. I dont think my 26113's contacted but the 26125's were contacting on 3 of the 12 on one head and under operation would have most definitely contacted on more just because of the design of the springs and retainers. they just hand clearance and allowed for .0015" extra for good measure