The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-04-2005

Default The original 11 86 Saleen converts

I'm new to this board and am impressed with the amount of information I?ve been able to learn from reading the posts. What I haven?t seen here or anywhere else is pictures or any information about the original 11 1986 Saleen convertibles.

Has anyone had the opportunity to see any, have one or any pictures? Does anyone have any information or specs pertaining to these most rare of the Saleens?

Thanks

Dirkpitt289
Old 11-18-2005
Saleen Forums Participant

Default 11 86 convertibles

Dirk, if you need information on 86 convertibles you can give me a call at 317-507-0206. I have two of them and stu akers has 2, scott smith has one. All of them are located in Indiana. 3 are missing, stolen or destroyed. One is on Ebay right now. That leave 2 out there.... Both are know to exist????? give me a call if I can be of further assistance. I do not know where you live but if want to see very early fox saleen's (84-86) you need to plan a trip to the Shelby Spring Fling in Brown county Indiana May 19-21 or the midwest Saleen fest in Jeffersonville, IN second weekend in Aug, 06.

marc
Old 11-18-2005

Marc

Thank you so much for the info. I've saw the one on eBay. I live in New Jersey so getting there isn't going to happen any time soon. This may sound strange but can you send me photos of your rides? If you do can you send them to dirkpitt289@gmail.com

Thanks for your time

Dirkpitt289
Old 11-18-2005

dirk, i will try to get some pictures to you or you can visit www.saleenchat.com go to midwest event to see picture of a few or you can visit Indiana shelby club web site to see pictures of 5 together. I think that is www.indianasaac.com, you may have to go back a few years to get the pictures. We do not always bring the same cars, but there are alway some real earyly saleens. At the saleenchat.com web is pictures of the first 4 saleen's built. you need to look under midwest saleen fest '05

Marc
Old 11-18-2005

you are the man.

thanks
Old 11-20-2005

Another quick question Marc,

Do you know if the convert on eBay is a ligit Saleen? The reason I ask is the first I heard time I heard of the Saleens I had heard they were made from both LXs and GTs. The more I read and looked into it I heard they were all LXs with the GT package. Not actually GTs. All the cars I've seen have all been just that LXs.

Now I see the one convert on ebay and she has the GT dash and the GT emblems on the side molding.
Old 11-23-2005

Dirk, 86 Saleen Convertibles where built on both LX and GT platforms. You have to remember this is early in saleen production and convertibles where really not available. If steve received an order for a convertible and he did not have one in the pool. He went to the local dealer and bought whatever they had. Or he place an order for the car with that dealer. However, most of the 86's where on the LX platform. He did the samething with early 85's that where built. If you look at the real early 85's you will find most all of them where Calf. orders that he bought off the dealer lot. I am pretty sure that 3 or 4 of the 86 converts where GT. I believe they are 86-90 White GT, 86-140 Red GT, 86-38 Red GT. OF the 11 Built only 2 had rear wings both sold at Burch Ford 86-88 and 86-200. Both wing cars are in Indiana. Also if the car was a GT Saleen removed the hood decal. As for the ebay car it is a ligit Saleen. You can check the last 3 vin digits with Brad Bowlings Saleen Book.
Old 11-23-2005

Thanks for the info
Old 03-01-2006
SOEC Member

Default Early Saleen Convertibles

It is true that early Saleens were mostly west coast cars, but there were a few cars out here in New England. FMC dealerships and even FMC district office in the Boston area had no knowledge of Saleen Mustangs. We had to call FMC in Dearborn to get steves tel. # in Burbank to order my car.

That was the early days, It would be great to get the early Saleen convertibles together for a show. I have been trying to contact the other owner of the 85 convertible to see if he would meet me for a show, that would be great in the Indy area.

To see more info on my car go to my website.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeeim69

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...rtible2010.jpg
Photo taken August 1985 in New Mexico
Old 03-03-2006
Saleen Forums Registrant

Conv85, Come to Indy. There is a show coming up May 19-21 in a very nice area of Indiana called Brown County State Park. It's actually an Shelby Car Club show, but gets a lot of Saleen fans including the owners of 5 of the 11 '86 Saleen verts and many early Saleen cars (not to mention the Shelby's, Boss & Mach 1's, Tigers, some Pantera's, etc.). There are usually over 200 cars in this show. Then there's also the Mid-West Saleen Fest in Jeffersonville August 11-13. Both of these show would welcome you to come!