The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1994-1998 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1994-1998 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 01-12-2013
Saleen Forums Participant

Default New Member, Somewhat new to Saleens but not Mustangs

Hi Everyone my name is Greg and I bought my second Saleen today a 1996 S281 #247, My first was a 89 SSC. I have been a member over on SVT Performance for 5 years now and it is time to try something new. I just sold my Built 1996 Mystic Cobra and 1999 Cobra as we are having out first child in May. This meant I get to find a new project. Here my dilemma was I have soo many 94-98 Parts, I would prefer to get into a another one of those. Well, over the years I have had alot of Cobras and GT'S but never a Saleen. I have always wanted one but could never find one for a deal or in my Budget. I have had my eye on this car for a few years now and have seen it on Craigslist a few times and have always wanted to bring it back to life. Here is the Story, (If anyone knows this car please help me find out the entire story on it as I plan to keep it for quite sometime) The car originated in California and ended up in Washington about 8 years ago. I found a Bill of sale from 2007 when it was sold for $18000. The car had a dealer installed Vortech from 1996 that was installed and was on the car up intil a few years ago as noone could ever get it to run right so it was removed and sold(This is the story I was told by the previous owner) So, this is when the story goes bad, I believe when it was sold to the owners in 2007 is when it went downhill? I couldnt believe the shape it is in currently and how someone could let a Saleen get to this. Most of the paint will need to be repainted and when cleaning the interior tonight I noticed Rats,Mice and a Cat have been living in the car as it smelled of Cat **** and Rat Poop. The original seats looked like they have never seen an ounce of conditioner as they are balloned up. The motor needs some work to get running right without the Vortech. The car only has 88k Original Miles and is a True #247 S281. Luckily, the rims are in good shape and have new tread on them. So now for the good, Next weekend the motor will be worked on and hopefully started to be put back together, the interior was ripped out tonight and mostly thrown away (Cat **** is not good to interior). Next week 2004 Cobra Dark seats will be installed, FR500 Steering Wheel, 1998 Cobra Hood, Brembo Big Brake Kit, A bunch of Griggs suspension parts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tinted Tail Lights and Third Brake Light, Tinted Headlights ETC. The paint work will be done before the summer. I want to get it running right before I mess with the paint too much. I hope you all like it, here are the pics. Thanks Everyone, I look forward to meetingof you.

These are going to be for sale as I have no plans to boost this car anytime soon. Make Offer!!
Old 01-13-2013
Administrator

Welcome to the Saleen Forums!

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 01-13-2013
Inactive Account

Welcome and nice purchase enjoy
Old 01-13-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

looks like a good project. have fun!
Old 01-13-2013

Welcome.
Nice project you got there.
Should be a stunner when you finish with your planned mods.

Ryan

TTSaleen Youtube Channel
Old 01-14-2013

Good luck and enjoy it. I would just keep the gauges until later on if you ever do go boost
01 Bullitt #3251H/C/Turbo build
92 GMC Typhoon
89 Chevy S10 Cameo
07 Yamaha R1 Candy Red
Old 01-14-2013
SOEC Member

Welcome Gregg, the car looks like it's in good hands now. I have a few items that can help you that are missing on the car. PM me and i'll be more than happy and eager to assist.
1998 Saleen Speedster (S351 SC) #14
Black on Black

Last edited by Saleen_S351; 01-14-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 01-15-2013
SOEC Member

Nice project car... good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-15-2013

More pics of what Iam dealing with haha

Old 01-15-2013

After last nights cleaning

Why is it signed twice? A day apart?

Old 01-15-2013
SOEC Member

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your build! I hope you can bring this thing back to life! If you need any help trying to find some parts don't be hesitant to ask.
Old 01-15-2013

looks like it will need a decent amount of help but your already making good progress. good luck!

DSS 331 Super Pro Bullet, Vortech V-2 SQ, AFR Comp 185 heads, Performer RPM intake, AFM B-21 cam, AFM PMS, T3550 tranny, Hypercoated FR500 wheels. 450RWHP+TQ last time dynoed
Old 01-16-2013
SOEC Member

Not sure on your car, but Steve signed my 2001 car twice on the same day; first on the dash and the second on the radiator cover. My 11 came signed on the dash when I bought it.
Old 01-16-2013

Wow, what a great find! I love the SR wing! What a fun build thats going to be. Enjoy!

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 01-23-2013

Been working on the stang alot, it should be running in a week or two. I ordered the window sticker today and was told there were 53 Black on Black coupes made. 4 were automatic and 49 Manuals. Not bad.

Last edited by 96Saleen#247; 01-23-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2013

Nice to see you bringing it back to life. It looks like the car has had a rough past and was not taken care of. I can't wait to see the finished project!
Old 01-30-2013

More pics of progress, Motor just needs to be hooked back up and we shall be running. I have gotten most of the cat pee smell out so the interior is going to start to go back in. The Brembo rotors are installed and hoping to get the Calipers on tonight. I was hoping this Saturday she would be running but it looks like the following week. Thanks enjoy the pics. Sorry my garage is very dark and it is down pouring in Seattle. Ill try to get better pics ASAP.

Old 01-30-2013
SOEC Member

Default saleen wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Saleen#247 View Post
More pics of progress, Motor just needs to be hooked back up and we shall be running. I have gotten most of the cat pee smell out so the interior is going to start to go back in. The Brembo rotors are installed and hoping to get the Calipers on tonight. I was hoping this Saturday she would be running but it looks like the following week. Thanks enjoy the pics. Sorry my garage is very dark and it is down pouring in Seattle. Ill try to get better pics ASAP.
Just a heads up. Saleen Inc is working on getting limited number of wires for each Saleen made from 94-04. They were just working the original stamps used issue but hopefully by the summer we have a product we can buy from their website. Thought I would mention it since you are doing a restoration project and don't know if you're going full O.E. parts or not.
1998 Saleen Speedster (S351 SC) #14
Black on Black
Old 02-11-2013

More Progress, Almost running. I need a Fuel Line? I will be running the stock rims, but I need a bigger spacer then 1/4 to help clear the Brembos. Thanks

Old 04-13-2013
SOEC Member

I was able to pick this car up from Greg. The car is almost road worthy but will still require a lot of cosmetic work to bring it back to its former glory.

Here is a link to the most current pics of the car.

96-247