The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 04-05-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: High mileage S281 SC?

Hey there; I am new to the forum. I am looking for a new daily driver, and was thinking it would be fun to own a used Saleen S281. I found an affordable but high mileage 2005 S281 in flame red, converted into an SC by Saleen at some point. The car has almost 71k miles, and has an automatic tranny, which I actually prefer for dealing with LA freeway commuting. Offered by "Texas Hot Rides" and also posted on eBay:

http://www.texashotrides.com/2005-Fo...d--TX/6089877/

So my question is, do any of you have high mileage cars? What kind of maintenance stuff am I looking at? Am I an idiot for even considering this car, and should just buy a Prius for commuting like everyone else?

Have any of you looked at this particular car? The paint looks pretty scratched up in the low res photos but it is hard to tell. I would definitely pay for a pre-purchase inspection to have someone go through the car thoroughly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 04-05-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Based on searching the forum here I was able to determine that member Jeff05S281 was the second owner of this car, 2005 #976. Wonder if owner #3 was on the forum at all...
Old 04-05-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

And just found the thread where he posted the car up for sale in 2010 with 28k miles on it:

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=7006
Old 04-05-2017
SOEC Member

I couldn't chime in on maintenance but member Ponypinoy was selling a 2005, 62k miles and with an added SC. He was taking $15k at some point. Maybe PM him and hopefully get his input. Shows he's in the SF Bay Area, so I bet he could provide some insight in regards to commuting in his Saleen. Sale is pending.

http://www.saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=17867

I also live in SF Bay Area, where traffic is bad like your area. Two hours to travel 35 miles on Fridays! I bought a Saleen instead of a Prius. Then I bought a used Camry for the mpg's and put a license plate frame that reads, "My Other Car is a Saleen." See how I avoided buying the Prius, lol.
Old 04-05-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0d3d View Post
I couldn't chime in on maintenance but member Ponypinoy was selling a 2005, 62k miles and with an added SC.
Yeah I saw Ponypinoy's post and I noticed that he said he mentioned that couldn't afford the maintenance on the car anymore.

My commute is 24 miles; usually takes an hour.

I currently have a '65 Mustang convertible that is my weekend car.
Old 04-07-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

I have a 2006 that I use as my daily, and it has 107k miles on it. The maintenance is pretty straight forward. Change the oil every 3k(atleast I do) tires, brakes, other normal fluids, change the blower oil every 50k or so. I will say my suspension on the car is extremely tired at this point and i'm looking at completely changing it all out for something alot more fun :)

I do collision work, and I've repainted the car once at 90k (chips and normal road damage) at 107k she still looks great, of course it has some new chips and such but driving everyday you can't avoid it.