The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-28-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Exclamation Q: Burning Smell?

Recently I've noticed a burning smell arising when I drive for more than a few minutes. The shifter base is also getting extremely hot when driving. Has anyone had a similar issue like this?
Old 03-28-2014
SOEC Member

Have you had the lifter out recently?
If the rubber boot has come loose it may be letting in unwanted smells and heat.
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 03-31-2014

I have not, but I will check the fit.
Old 03-31-2014
SOEC Member

Check your battery terminal. Mine got so hot it melted the red rubber plastic piece that's on it. I could smell it from inside the cabin.
Old 04-02-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I wouldnt drive the car until you source the smell....seriously.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 05-31-2014

Update: We identified the smell coming from the rear wheel wells, which occurred when I drove it to my friend's house to work on it. I felt the rear and front rotors and there was no temperature difference. We still jacked the back end up and checked to make sure the pads weren't rubbing. They weren't and it appears the emergency brake was not sticking either.

We attempted to rotate the rear axial with the calipers off but it was very hard to rotate. I turned it on and disengaged the TCS and it was still not rotating freely. We also made sure it was not in gear.

I'm at a loss now to where to trouble shoot next, but it is definitely coming from the rear axial. Any ideas?

Note: during the drive to my friend's place (15 min max) we did not identify any howling, squealing, or abnormal noises coming from the back end (or anywhere).
Old 05-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Sides View Post
Update: We identified the smell coming from the rear wheel wells, which occurred when I drove it to my friend's house to work on it. I felt the rear and front rotors and there was no temperature difference. We still jacked the back end up and checked to make sure the pads weren't rubbing. They weren't and it appears the emergency brake was not sticking either.

We attempted to rotate the rear axial with the calipers off but it was very hard to rotate. I turned it on and disengaged the TCS and it was still not rotating freely. We also made sure it was not in gear.

I'm at a loss now to where to trouble shoot next, but it is definitely coming from the rear axial. Any ideas?

Note: during the drive to my friend's place (15 min max) we did not identify any howling, squealing, or abnormal noises coming from the back end (or anywhere).
If your posi unit is good it should not spin easy. Once the clutches get weak you can spi your rear tires like a rouliette wheel.
Old 05-31-2014
Administrator

Are you burning the rear bumper cover? The rear bumper cover support straps have been known to burn and melt.
Old 05-31-2014

Thanks OneQwkStang.

Dave, I do not believe it is burning. I'll take another peek though.
Old 06-02-2014
SOEC Member

What kind of burning smell? Oil, plastic, rubber?
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 06-02-2014

It smelled like the brakes were rubbing; it was not similar to plastic or rubber. I'm investigating for oil residue but have not seen spots on my garage floor or smoke when the smell arises.
Old 07-11-2014

Turns out something from the road melted into the exhaust. Problem resolved.