The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Vendors > Vendor Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Vendor Discussions Discussions about vendors are to be done here.

Old 08-08-2013
SOEC Member

Default Q: Anyone have issues with Grand Design Mat?

A week ago Inquired on the Forums about a 1999-04 trunk lid insert, I have received a few messages and a few pics about Grand Design Mat and have to say their inserts are very impressive, The problem I am having and would like to know if anybody else has had this problem with them is after many emails on their site I still have not been able to order the insert because they simply don't respond to emails and there is not a phone number to contact them. I did receive an email stating what I wanted they don't recommend doing and they also sent sample in pics to me but trying to order one is starting to become a nightmare and I am starting to wonder if doing business with them would be trouble. So has anybody else on the forums had the same problem with them?
Old 08-08-2013
SOEC Member

Just filed a paypal dispute with them. I ordered a mat july 8 th, never heard a thing again until I asked for an update. They replied asking for my address again and I never heard a thing again. The invoice stated item will be in hand in 16 business days, and a tracking number will be sent. I just got a snotty email from them saying the item shipped Monday but has now been redirected and a refund has been done. And that I can buy the same mat from Saleen in Sept for $350.
Old 08-08-2013
SOEC Member

Here is the email:

On 08/07/13, "Grand Design Mat Inc." wrote:
Would have been nice thy you either called or emailed us about your rider before you placed the hold. Your mat shipped out Monday morning. That is the reason I verified your USA shipping address. I contacted FedEx ground and the mat is being redirected back to our shop. Refund will be given, you can purchase this same design from the Saleen site in September for $350.00 plus shipping.

Other questions, you can contact the owner of Grand Design Mat.

Grand Design Mat Inc.

www.granddesignmat.com

Old 08-08-2013
SOEC Member

Well I hope it works out for ya and thanks for the info. BTW do you have a phone number for them because there is no number posted on the website which I find to be kinda weird?
Old 08-08-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenguy View Post
Well I hope it works out for ya and thanks for the info. BTW do you have a phone number for them because there is no number posted on the website which I find to be kinda weird?
I do.. however I am not going to assist these *** hats in getting business.

Sorry
Old 08-08-2013
SOEC Member

You had said Saleen is going to be making these again but for what year car?
Old 08-09-2013
Administrator

They are Saleen's new supplier, and my understanding is some details of their licensing agreement have recently been finalized, so that could be part of the delay.

Saleen is aggressive at protecting their brand, so expect problems if you try to buy a product that's not licensed.

Molly is working on having these available for most all years of Saleen.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
  • Saleen All-Ford and American Muscle Show and Open House, September 17, 2016, Corona, California
Old 08-09-2013
SOEC Member

I would think if that is the issue and they are waiting on that then why wouldn't you let the customer know that instead of leaving them hang to a point they think the company is a fraud?
Old 08-09-2013
SOEC Member

I wouldn't deal with this company, poor cust service. And apparently the mats are going to go from $198 plus shipping to $350 plus shipping when ordered through Saleen....LOL
Old 08-09-2013
SOEC Member

That sucks Qwk. But at least you got a refund
Old 08-09-2013

I am not defending Saleen here but, when Mark and I looked into reproducing some of the Fox parts it was cost prohibitive. For example if we want to redo the shift knobs we had to purchase 5000 to be able to sell them for reasonable price. We all know we would sell 20 to 30 and sit on the rest and would never make back our investment. I know a couple of the orig vendors are no longer around so it not like you can save on the tooling cost. We should all purchase from Auth Saleen sellers this protects our investment, the quality of the parts. I know Saleen can be difficult at times to get parts from and other thing but they are trying.

Need to sell your saleen try www.saleenlocator.net for free
Old 08-09-2013

I've purchased x3 GDM trunk mats in total for x3 different cars over the past 2 years.

My parked GT/CS was destroyed a week after the GDM mat was installed. Some lame teenager was driving too fast on an unfamiliar road while focussed on her cell phone GPS. I got $29K back for a car purchased four years earlier for $30,400 so I didn't care. Ordering: The purchase of the GT/CS mat went as smoothly as it could considering the miriad of glitches that frequently occurred in 2012 at the financial end of the GDM website. After about x4 tries spread out over several months, I finally got the on-line purchase mechanisms to work using a credit card. No, GDM won't take phone orders (I have their phone number and tried).

The Shelby mat (the last one ever produced by GDM) was ordered in Oct 2012 before my '07 GT500 ragtop purchase was finalized - the car was stolen x4 days after the 10% deposit was put down on the car. Immediately, I tried to cancel the order but it was beyond their 72-hour cancellation window. GDM said the mat had already been made. Perhaps it was. After waiting 4 weeks, I started asking about my purchase. The initial emails from GDM were (at best) "curt" as a certain staff member was involved. Things mellowed out quickly when the conversation migrated to Phil Madren who is business-like but quite personable. GDM wouldn't agree to keep the Shelby mat but Phil did offer the Saleen mat for the same price ($195 US for mat and extenders) as the Shelby mat. He knows how many I have purchased. The mat finally showed up sometime in December in Canada, after bouncing back to GDM due to a screwup in Customs documentation. Ordering: I found the on-line purchase to be easier the second time around as I used Pay Pal. As before, their packaging material was perfect and the product arrived undamaged.

I knew I could easily sell the unopened Shelby mat privately (without licencing renewal, it was the very last of its kind, and yes it has been sold) so I ordered my Saleen mat. Phil took the initiative to contact me a few weeks later to see if it had arrived - it hadn't. We gave it another 2 weeks. GDM gave up waiting before I did and wrote it off as "lost in transit" - then made a second Saleen mat (I didn't have to ask) all on their own. GDM were quite apologetic. The 2nd one arrived soon after as per the photo. Ordering: The Saleen mat is considered a "custom order"so the order has to be made via emails. You have to describe what you want and hammer out a price. The red "S" crest can either be at the left side (or right) or above the word SALEEN. You can have nearly anything made you want, depending on how unique you want your car to be, so you might want something else instead of what I ordered. You could get one that says DRIVE IT.

Their website clearly states that some very specific products are not available anymore due to licencing agreements that were not renewed in January 2012. I had no problem ordering the Saleen mat in October 2012 whatsoever though so the licencing restrictions did not apply to Saleen products (at that time).

If you use a sharp drill bit (or a dull one), you can expect to have to repair as many as four upwards dents in your trunk. I got the GT/CS mat installed without any problems. I used a more powerful drill on the Saleen so I now have repairs to complete. OUCH !

Last edited by PEGAZUS; 09-22-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Photo added
Old 08-09-2013
SOEC Member

Default Grand design Mat

Okay I have to do a follow up here on the complaint I posted a couple days back about this Company. I had talked in great length today to the Owner Phil of Grand Design Mat. He extended his apologies to me on not getting back to me as quick as I wanted. He did state that there had been some communication problem on his end which I can understand that these things happen. Being a small business owner myself I understand we tend to get overwhelmed at times and may miss a call or email so I will give them at GDM the benefit of the doubt. I will probably end up ordering the Mat from them when we can get the design correct and will follow up then and let everyone know how it went.

Phil R.
Old 08-09-2013

The mat extenders are the two cloth covered parts above the main oval. They are supposed to fit in by friction only after preparing the car for showing (then removed after). I used extra hardware so mine are attached permanently. The trunk does not look as finished without them.

Last edited by PEGAZUS; 09-22-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2013
SOEC Member

Very nice. That looks awesome.
Old 08-11-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQwkStang View Post
Here is the email:

On 08/07/13, "Grand Design Mat Inc." wrote:
Would have been nice thy you either called or emailed us about your rider before you placed the hold. Your mat shipped out Monday morning. That is the reason I verified your USA shipping address. I contacted FedEx ground and the mat is being redirected back to our shop. Refund will be given, you can purchase this same design from the Saleen site in September for $350.00 plus shipping.

Other questions, you can contact the owner of Grand Design Mat.

Grand Design Mat Inc.

www.granddesignmat.com

A LOT of professional strikes here.
Misspelled words.
Poor grammar.
No "Dear (insert name here)".
Called a car a "ride"?
(As you stated) a snotty attitude.
No "Sincerely," or any professional close to the email.
No tracking information.

This is an extremely unprofessional email! I have never had any dealings with GMD, but based on yours as well as similar situations, will not be throwing my hard earned money to them. Also, the personal tone that the email was written in makes me suggest that they are probably a one-person dog and pony show. Employees hired by a larger business usually do not get upset about losing a sale, as they are not personally losing anything.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo281/TennesseeMustangPerformance/TMP%20staff/saleensig.jpg
Old 08-11-2013

Quote:
I would think if that is the issue and they are waiting on that then why wouldn't you let the customer know that instead of leaving them hang to a point they think the company is a fraud?
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQwkStang View Post
I wouldn't deal with this company, poor cust service. And apparently the mats are going to go from $198 plus shipping to $350 plus shipping when ordered through Saleen....LOL
Not to defend them, but that is a Saleen markup, not GMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wackett View Post
I am not defending Saleen here but, when Mark and I looked into reproducing some of the Fox parts it was cost prohibitive. For example if we want to redo the shift knobs we had to purchase 5000 to be able to sell them for reasonable price. We all know we would sell 20 to 30 and sit on the rest and would never make back our investment. I know a couple of the orig vendors are no longer around so it not like you can save on the tooling cost. We should all purchase from Auth Saleen sellers this protects our investment, the quality of the parts. I know Saleen can be difficult at times to get parts from and other thing but they are trying.
I agree that it can be expensive to make parts, and that details are often the cause of delays. Still, let the customer know. I have dealt with a company in the past as a supplier (back when I was s small business owner, myself) that had similar issues (largely dragging their feet). It became such an issue that I at one point discussed carrying a large inventory of back stock so that my customers did not have to wait on my supplier. A lot of customer complaints could be prevented if you simply keep the customer informed step-by-step, and you don't charge the customer money until the item is boxed and ready to ship. Customers are people. For the most part they understand when things come up. It is how you handle the situation that keeps them happy, and keeps them as returning customers. Losing a sale is not nearly as bad as losing a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGAZUS View Post

If you use a sharp drill bit (or a dull one), you can expect to have to repair as many as four upwards dents in your trunk. I got the GT/CS mat installed without any problems. I used a more powerful drill on the Saleen so I now have repairs to complete. OUCH !
Sharp bits are your friend. Use them, as well as either a drill stop (looks like a metal bushing with a set screw in the side) or run some tape on the bit at the stopping point and you should be fine. Sadly, things like this are often overlooked in many instructions.

Quote:
Okay I have to do a follow up here on the complaint I posted a couple days back about this Company. I had talked in great length today to the Owner Phil of Grand Design Mat. He extended his apologies to me on not getting back to me as quick as I wanted. He did state that there had been some communication problem on his end which I can understand that these things happen. Being a small business owner myself I understand we tend to get overwhelmed at times and may miss a call or email so I will give them at GDM the benefit of the doubt. I will probably end up ordering the Mat from them when we can get the design correct and will follow up then and let everyone know how it went.

Phil R.
Glad that he took the step to follow up on the issue. Still, I wonder how much of it is customer service and how much of it is damage control. I would be very interested in getting to the bottom of the email if it were me. If he sent the email then it looks very bad on him and his company. If he had an employee who sent the email, I would want to know as a businessperson so that the employee and I could sit down and discuss how they mishandled the situation in order to assure that it will never happen again. If it does happen again, I would be talking with that employee about their future with the company, and see if there isn't something out there in the job field that is a bit more suited toward their skills. Mistakes happen, but you will not have a third opportunity to reflect my business in bad light.

Lastly, I would try to resolve the issue and EARN my customer back. It may offering be a discount on the item or it may be free shipping- but I would offer to make things right. This may not even happen, as some customers cannot be swayed back to doing business with you. At that point, I would again apologize sincerely, and hope that I could earn their business back in the future. Again, I would take a lost sale any day over a lost customer, but more importantly than money is doing what is right. Just my $.02.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo281/TennesseeMustangPerformance/TMP%20staff/saleensig.jpg
Old 08-11-2013

It's common upholstery glued to a oval of a thin board not much different than pegboard. The non-glass reflective material (Lexan or equivalent) can be sourced and cut into any shape (letter or otherwise). You could skip the Lexan and add something else to the board instead. The board is held in place by plastic push pins that have upholstery circles glued to them. The only time-consuming part is figuring out where the holes have to be in the board - using construction paper to make a template would speed that up. Cost to make the item is easily less than $100 for materials.

Bottom line: This product can be reversed engineered easily, replicated offshore where copywrite documents are ignored, then marketed for internet sale at a much lower price. It's only a matter of time before it happens, as with knockoffs of Oakley sunglasses and the rest.

Some install the tool box kit on their trunk lids instead. You have lots of options....
Old 08-12-2013
SOEC Member

When I ordered some items a couple years ago, I had no issues at all. I'm sorry that you had a different experience and I'm surprised at Phil's response......doesn't seem like that was the same guy at all that I was dealing with. Hope it all gets resolved and is a win-win for both of you
Old 09-22-2013
SOEC Member

Just received the trunk mat and it came out awesome.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGAZUS View Post
It's common upholstery glued to a oval of a thin board not much different than pegboard. The non-glass reflective material (Lexan or equivalent) can be sourced and cut into any shape (letter or otherwise). You could skip the Lexan and add something else to the board instead. The board is held in place by plastic push pins that have upholstery circles glued to them. The only time-consuming part is figuring out where the holes have to be in the board - using construction paper to make a template would speed that up. Cost to make the item is easily less than $100 for materials.

Bottom line: This product can be reversed engineered easily, replicated offshore where copywrite documents are ignored, then marketed for internet sale at a much lower price. It's only a matter of time before it happens, as with knockoffs of Oakley sunglasses and the rest.

Some install the tool box kit on their trunk lids instead. You have lots of options....
You telling me that my Oaklie sunglasses are not real??? Say it ain't so! NOW what am I gonna wear with my Rollex watch and George E. O. Armani suit?

Old 03-29-2014
SOEC Member

I just received a mat insert for my '06 S281. Although I love the design, I'm upset with the quality because it isn't "perfect". I had ordered white paint on mirrored plexi, but the paint job is kind of sketchy. I'm most disappointed in the A, but I still think it turned out ok.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Mirror Caps, MRT Hood Struts, JLT Catch Can, Kooks LT Headers & Catted X, JLT Series 3 CAI, Bosch Injectors, HTO Plugs, 3.4 Pulley, KB Boost-A-Pump, SCT X3 Tuned by BRENSPEED, Chicane Brace, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH, White Extreme Splitter & Diffuser, MGW Shifter, Raptor Shift Light, 6K HIDs & LEDs, Stealth Bulbs, Steeda X-Brace, Corsa Sport Mufflers, Whiteline Watts Link & Rear Sway Bar, Slotted Rotors Front & Rear, 281 Grille, Dipstick, & Radiator Cover, GT500 Fan
Old 03-29-2014
SOEC Member

If you are not satisfied with it you need to contact them and let them know.
Old 03-29-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
If you are not satisfied with it you need to contact them and let them know.
They wont do anything..poor company to deal with I know first hand.
Old 05-23-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

I have owned three mats from GDM. Two were SALEEN design mats and a SHELBY. Great service and top notch. One of the SALEEN mats did have a bad letter. The owner Phil had me send a picture of the bad spot which was a fast response to my email. He made us another mat at no charge and sent it out within a week. Told us to keep the bad mat and no reason to send it back. I had asked him about the business and he did not mind giving me details of issues they had. During the time of these problems that some seem to have had with them, he lost is father and let a family member take care of Grand Design. He found out that this family member was not giving the customers the service they should have been given.

Reason I am posting this is because we purchased another mat from them and great service and product. If you have issues with a business and emails don't work, pick up the phone and call the company. Setting back and talking junk about your service helps no one.