The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 11-09-2016

Default Q: Saleen Mustang built at facility, not sold through Ford Dealer

Hello Saleen enthusiasts! I have recently purchased a 2006 Mustang GT convertible converted to a Saleen by the original owner. Seeking some thoughts on this car and it's history. It was purchased new by B. Metzger and he had the car built to Extreme specs at the Saleen facility. He used the car as a poster child for his business, Texas Hot Rods, designating the car THR SC-01. The car has EVERY Saleen part on it, right down to the labels on the door jam and under the composite hood. The build was documented by camera which was set up and took a picture every 7 seconds. Just curious, what do Mustang/Saleen enthusiasts think of a car like this? What kind of value would it have? Not sanctioned by Ford but built at the Saleen facility and documented. Does anybody know of this car, know Mr. Metzger? It used to be yellow and is now gray. Your thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2016
SOEC Member

Unless it was serialized by Saleen, it is a clone. Sounds like a great car though! Post some pics.
Old 11-09-2016

Can't get pics to load. Any ideas?
Old 11-09-2016

Check out this link. http://soec.org/tag/texas-hot-rods/
Old 11-09-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcox8051 View Post
Hello Saleen enthusiasts! I have recently purchased a 2006 Mustang GT convertible converted to a Saleen by the original owner. Seeking some thoughts on this car and it's history. It was purchased new by B. Metzger and he had the car built to Extreme specs at the Saleen facility. He used the car as a poster child for his business, Texas Hot Rods, designating the car THR SC-01. The car has EVERY Saleen part on it, right down to the labels on the door jam and under the composite hood. The build was documented by camera which was set up and took a picture every 7 seconds. Just curious, what do Mustang/Saleen enthusiasts think of a car like this? What kind of value would it have? Not sanctioned by Ford but built at the Saleen facility and documented. Does anybody know of this car, know Mr. Metzger? It used to be yellow and is now gray. Your thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.
Some of the S197 Speedlab drag cars were post-title modified cars. There are also a handful of owner financed S281 conversions that were not serialized, but were run down the production line at either Saleen facility (Irvine, CA / Troy, MI).
Old 11-10-2016
SOEC Member

The file size of the image might be too large. You can use a basic program like paint to resize the image.

Also to clarify, Ford had nothing to do with the building of Saleens. Saleen would buy the base cars from ford, then do their work. The enhancements were "pre tile". Once completed they were sold by select Ford dealers.

Quote:
Can't get pics to load. Any ideas?
Old 11-10-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I think if you look at the S197 market right now you will see that there is very little out there that has any real value. Even the low mileage Extreme's are not pulling in the value that most of us wish they were. A small handful of anniversary cars, and a few special paint code cars are still keeping some of their value but as a whole the S197 lineup is dropping in value. I think the only people that are willing to pay top dollar for these cars are collectors or people hoping that their value will blossom over time but these people are only looking at low mileage original examples. For a car with a color change, over 5 digits in mileage and not stock I would not expect to get top dollar - in fact I would look at it being in the modified Mustang GT value area. GLWS and sorry for the negative atmosphere of my message - just being honest and feeling the pain of the S197 market.
2004-013 Ford Mustang Salween Extreme-FOR SALE
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible SA-20 clone
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8-SOLD
2002 Big Dog Pitbull-SOLD
2005-1343 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281. Barricade replica-SOLD
2011 Ram Express
2006-016 Ford Mustang Saleen Extreme-FOR SALE
2012 Ford F150 FX2
2007-300 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281-FOR SALE
2005 Ram SRT-10 RC CE #43-FOR SALE
Old 11-11-2016

Yes it appears there were some non-serialized cars built for celebrities or as special editions. My car falls into this class. The original owner has proof it was built at the California location. I believe it not to be a clone. A clone is a car built by Joe Blow in his garage, this is a Saleen built car, albeit non-serialized. Look, I'm not delusional nor do I think this Mustang is worth what a serialized car is worth. I do however believe it has value above and beyond a plain GT. It only has 48k miles, it is a convertible, and it was built at Saleen with EVERY Saleen piece of equipment plus an upgrade to a $4000 Magnum XL Tremec transmission. And with close to 700 HP, where are you gonna find that for under $20K? I think this car falls into the $16k to $19K range...if anybody is interested, let me know.
Old 11-11-2016

Default Pictures

Picture of 2006 Mustang
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4009 - Copy.JPG  

Old 11-11-2016

Default Pictures

2006 Mustang 4.6 Supercharged
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3980 - Copy.JPG  

Old 11-11-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I see you have it on ebay, guess we will find out what it's worth.
Sold xp8 2000 #30, all options including alcons
Old 11-12-2016
SOEC Member

If Saleen did the colorchange I'm very surprised they did not paint the engine bay, as the engine probably had been removed for the upgrades
1979 Mustang Indianapolis Pace Car
1979 Mustang Indianapolis Pace Car Go-kart
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #161 of 500 (the only automatic PJ)
Old 11-12-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-Twister View Post
If Saleen did the colorchange I'm very surprised they did not paint the engine bay, as the engine probably had been removed for the upgrades
Saleen did not do the color change.

Quote:
I think this car falls into the $16k to $19K range...if anybody is interested, let me know.
Your price range is not unreasonable and will likely sell.
Old 11-12-2016

Yeah the color change was done by the original owner and owner of Texas Hot Rods. This guy is a personal friend of Steve Saleen.