The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 01-02-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Need wheel info for 88-0337?

Have had this car for a while now. Been to broke to do much with it, so I've got it running and repaited the front clip. I'm wondering is there a way to tell which wheels it came with originally?

Looks like some of the 88's had the 5 spokes, while others had the basket looking wheel.

I really like the 5 spokes and am now thinking of swapping my current speedlines for a set of the 5 spokes.

Also any other info is greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-02-2011
Administrator

The 5-Star ARE wheels were first offered as an option during the 1988 model year. The common belief says, these wheels did not come online until late in the production year. May/June 1988. 88-0337 falls outside the window.

The wheel style information for 1988 might be part of the build sheet information/specification for these early Saleen Mustangs. When Brad Bowling complied data for The Saleen Book, he referenced the amount of 1988 Saleen Mustangs (19 production cars) that had these wheels installed. Excluding development & press vehicles (88-0001 & 88-0002) and race cars.

The spoke wheels became standard in 1989 through 1991 with the mesh offered as the optional style.

I'm a fan for the ARE spoke wheels with the lower 1987-88 tri-stripe design decal.
Old 01-04-2011
SOEC Member

Quick question, I have an 89 with the ARE's. Why are the fronts deeper than the rears? And not the other way around?
Old 01-07-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

What size were the stock tires for front and rear?
Old 01-07-2011
SOEC Member

Yater, it has to do with the track width (wheel hub to wheel hub) of the front vs the rear. The front track is smaller than the rear because of the Lincoln/SVO rear axle/brake setup Steve chose for the 87-93 cars. That determined the backspacing and how big the lip of the wheel would be. I'm sure that Steve wanted a certain look with the cars and the "cleavage" of wheel to fender-lip distance.

Tire size for 87-91's was 225/50/16 on all four corners.
Old 01-29-2011
SOEC Member

I replaced my ARE's with Stern 3-piece wheels, I just love the look, it really transformed my car.