The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 1998-2001 XP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1998-2001 XP For the XP6 & XP8 Ford Explorer-based models.

Old 08-25-2012
SOEC Member

Default XP's tuned from factory/dealer?

I need a new computer for the XP. Before I get another one, I want to know if the dealers modified the tune after the supercharger install. Or for that matter, if Saleen modified the tune before that. Thanks for any info.

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'01 Mustang GT 385whp/385tq
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 08-25-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Standard Ford Explorer, nothing special.
Old 08-25-2012
SOEC Member

That's what I was thinking. I just found a install manual for the Powerdyne and saw no mention of a tune or chip. Thanks Rick!

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 08-25-2012
SOEC Member

The powerdyne is far from the best supercharger out there but was "stock" on 1998 and I believe 1999 models. The Eaton style supercharger on the 2000 model was a much better set up. I have had both. With that said, larger injectors, a larger MAF and an aftermarket fuel pump with a custom tune does help. The biggest problem with the Explorers is the camshaft, it is far from same one used in a Mustang 5.0 liter motor which could probably use an upgrade as well.
Old 08-25-2012
SOEC Member

It could definitely use more power, no doubt about that. I will give Powerdyne this though; my blower has 175k miles on it w/o any rebuild so there's some reliability there. I just noticed today that Powerdyne must be out of biz. I had go to archive.org to pull up an old website and get the install manual.

I didn't know the 00's came with the Eaton. I've seen a '98 and a '00 with the old Explorer Express X-charger installed though.

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 08-26-2012
SOEC Member

They are reliable. The hardest thing I found was getting someone to tune it. Most don't want to touch a 5.0 with coil packs. Don't know why. I am not sure that it is so much more power than it just runs much better. A little more fuel to go with the extra air the SC provides. I have a mild pulley and tune. Don't want to blow it up or have it run hot.
Old 08-26-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

XP8s did not come with a Eaton option in 2000. In fact, only the following were "factory" installed Powerdyne supercharged from Saleen; 4 early XP8s in 1998 and the prototype in 1997. All other years, any that show Supercharged as an option were actually shipped with the Powerdyne in the trunk for dealer install. My 2000 XP8 I had at the time and for many years had all options except Powerdyne Supercharger and Recaro Interior.

I would have kept it as it was fun, still looked great, but rode like a lumber wagon. After all those daily driver miles, my kidneys pretty much wrote the check for the trade up SUV after that.

Most Mustang hop up items will help it along if you start with a different block and heads. The little truck has potential, but it just rides so rough for daily life. At least for my behind. I did put on over 70,000 miles of trouble free driving. Still miss it sometimes.

BTW if you need to really tune it up after the new ECU, try going with a Moates chip. Does wonders if you cna find someone who works with them. I have a guy in Colorado but well......it is in Colorado.
Old 08-26-2012
SOEC Member

Thanks for clearing that up Rick. The ride has never bothered me but my relative lack of years on this planet may contribute to that

Never heard of that chip. The original owner that I bought mine from gave me an unused chip, I believe it's a Superchips. I was going to try that out since it's free.

The problem with my current ECU is no CEL on startup, it keeps throwing a false DTC, and the a/c clutch doesn't engage. My mechanic buddy has narrowed those issues down to the ECU since we've tried many other ways to fix them.

My dream eventually is to find a S351 motor and swap that in the truck, and keep the old motor stored away to keep it "numbers matching" for the future.

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 08-26-2012
SOEC Member

00-29 said it came with a supercharger (per the book and letter from Saleen) but maybe it was changed at some point. Learn something new everyday.
Old 08-27-2012
SOEC Member

Actually, my memory is not as good as it used to be apparently... Upon checking both the book and the letter, the supercharger is not mentioned on either for 00-29. With all the other options listed, I guess I just imagined it was in there among the others listed.
Old 08-29-2012
SOEC Member

Good morning Everyone, Just to add my two cents worth, my 00-32 has all available options from Saleen and never a drop or hint of a Supercharger. That option would be the bomb if available!! Tom
Old 08-29-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

You are correct in 2000, Saleen did not even offer the dealer installed option of a Powerdyne blower. Also 1/2 through the year they discountined the 13" front Saleen/Alcon brake option as well.
Old 08-29-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach 1551 View Post
Good morning Everyone, Just to add my two cents worth, my 00-32 has all available options from Saleen and never a drop or hint of a Supercharger. That option would be the bomb if available!! Tom
Must be one of the last XP's produced? I know 01-12 was the official last but 00-32 must be close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksaleen View Post
You are correct in 2000, Saleen did not even offer the dealer installed option of a Powerdyne blower. Also 1/2 through the year they discountined the 13" front Saleen/Alcon brake option as well.
I didn't even think the Alcon's made it to production, or at least that they were recalled like the Speedline wheels. Learn something new all the time. I would love to get some 13's on there now. Pretty sad that out of my 4 vehicles, the lightest one (Focus) has the largest brakes

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 08-29-2012
SOEC Member

00-29 did have the 13 inch brakes but as you mentioned they were recalled and long gone by the time I owned it. I had a chance to buy a set for 98-01 although I can't find anywhere or anyone who can tell me if they came on it. I do not believe it did. They are very hard to locate and quite pricey if you can find a set of rotors and calipers. Even more difficult to find than a hood or Recaros.
Old 08-30-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

I sold my XP8 13" Saleen/Alcons (with steel mounts) and Recaros with my truck 00-0017X a few years ago. It is in Tulsa, OK now. The steel mounts are the key. You can buy new steel mounts from Hennie Lek. The rest is Saleen/Alcons from one of the years Mustangs (can't remember off hand). Alcon replacement rotors you buy from Streetwise Parts if they are still around in California. System will cost you a bit but Wow a big difference. Also, you will need new steel braided brake lines from Goodyear.

Steel mounts are absolute as reason they were recalled was due to cheap Aluminun ones cracking and complete brake failure as caliper flies off rotor like it did on 00-0017X with the original owner at 75 mph on the freeway. Not a good time.

Get a hold of Hennie and he can get you all part numbers and steel mount brackets. I have a few sets of Saleen/Alcon calipers so if part numbers are correct, you can put this all together for you XP8 too.

Last edited by ricksaleen; 08-30-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2012
SOEC Member

Talking

Good morning Everyone, When I bought my XP8 and familiar with Saleen's having a 1989 HB, I was also curious because of the number and having a Bowling book they listed a number before 00-32. I called and verified that 00-32 was legal and I had all available options for that late in the production cycle. They would not verify if that was the last one built in 2000 but led me to believe that there might be more? Right now I quess bragging rights belong to 00-32 until another XP8 steps up to the plate to take the last one in 2000. It just turned 75K and had to make it my DD this spring when my 2000 SVT Contour passed away! Regards, Tom
Old 08-30-2012
SOEC Member

I will contact Hennie and see what he has to say. I have the added issue of mine actually being a 96 and will need to research what if any differences there are between a 96 and a 98-00. Plus i have a 2WD and most i seen with the big brakes were AWD. I know they are basically the same but a minor change could end up being a major headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksaleen View Post
I sold my XP8 13" Saleen/Alcons (with steel mounts) and Recaros with my truck 00-0017X a few years ago. It is in Tulsa, OK now. The steel mounts are the key. You can buy new steel mounts from Hennie Lek. The rest is Saleen/Alcons from one of the years Mustangs (can't remember off hand). Alcon replacement rotors you buy from Streetwise Parts if they are still around in California. System will cost you a bit but Wow a big difference. Also, you will need new steel braided brake lines from Goodyear.

Steel mounts are absolute as reason they were recalled was due to cheap Aluminun ones cracking and complete brake failure as caliper flies off rotor like it did on 00-0017X with the original owner at 75 mph on the freeway. Not a good time.

Get a hold of Hennie and he can get you all part numbers and steel mount brackets. I have a few sets of Saleen/Alcon calipers so if part numbers are correct, you can put this all together for you XP8 too.