The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-16-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Good Fuel Pump For My 99 S-281 SC??

Well today I finally finished my car and actually went to start it and it didn't start. :/ I realized that the stock fuel pump probably went out because I put 5 gallons of gas in there and there is no fuel going through the fuel rails, the motor turns and turns but wont start, and now I don't know what kind of aftermarket fuel pump I should go with.. Any ideas? I seen several people use the svt focus pump and the ford gt supercars pump.. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
'99 MUSTANG SALEEN S-351 #37 "FASLEEN"
'99 MUSTANG SALEEN S-281SC #201 "SLOLEEN"
'99 MUSTANG SALEEN/COBRA S-281 #320
Old 10-16-2011

Either of those pumps are great if your stock or aren't planning to upgrade the supercharger.
Old 10-17-2011

focus fuel pump will satisfy your needs...
Old 10-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
Either of those pumps are great if your stock or aren't planning to upgrade the supercharger.
I recently upgraded from the Series I blower to the Series IV blower and thats how it will be staying for the rest of its life cause I like keeping the stock Saleen look. Check out my sig for all my mods if you have a chance and let me know if you still think either of thise pumps will still hold up.. Thanks Also do I have to modify the Fuel Pump Delivery Module when upgrading pumps?
Old 10-17-2011
SOEC Member

Jim Jr. sold me an 05 + fuel pump for my setup. Said it is plenty. Might want to talk to the guys at JDM.
Old 10-18-2011

I'm also running the 05+ mustang pump in my 99 along with 42 lb injectors,
fuel pressure rarely goes over 20psi even at full throttle...
Old 10-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SALEEN/COBRA View Post
I recently upgraded from the Series I blower to the Series IV blower and thats how it will be staying for the rest of its life cause I like keeping the stock Saleen look. Check out my sig for all my mods if you have a chance and let me know if you still think either of thise pumps will still hold up.. Thanks Also do I have to modify the Fuel Pump Delivery Module when upgrading pumps?
With those mods I think you will be fine with either pump. I think the ford gt pump flows a bit more. You should also be ok with the stock fpdm. Another avenue would be the dual setup from an 03 cobra. Then you would have plenty of room to grow if you ever decide to upgrade blowers later.
Old 10-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfalk View Post
I'm also running the 05+ mustang pump in my 99 along with 42 lb injectors,
fuel pressure rarely goes over 20psi even at full throttle...
I dont understand this. Properly tuned you should see about 40 psi fuel pressure without any boost. Then at wot it should go up 1 psi for every # of boost you run. Like if your running 10 # boost you should see a steady 50 psi of fuel pressure at wide open throttle. I would be concerned about running lean. Do you have a wideband a/f gauge ?
Old 10-20-2011

I used to see 40+ psi fuel pressure when I was still running the stock 30lb injectors. Under WOT, it would climb to 50+. Turns out the replaced PCM was bad and instead of putting in a good PCM, the previous shop just turned off the O2 sensors... car would go into open loop and stay there, A/F was like 9:1...

Took it to a different shop, installed the new fuel pump, 42's and retuned the car, it rarely goes over 20 PSI even at WOT, I don't recall seeing it above 20 but it's possible... The car runs dramatically better and doesn't kill you with exhaust fumes anymore. A/F is 12:1 now, made 337RWHP.
Old 10-24-2011

So, I took 'the old car' out this weekend, and I stand corrected...

Car is normally running around 20psi. Took it out on a back road and nailed
it and watched the fuel pressure gauge... started at 20, boost kicked up to
around 9 and the fuel pressure went up to 30 and held there until I got off it.
Pretty much in line with what you said other than my 'base' fuel pressure
seems to run around 20psi and kicks up to around 25 cruising on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
Another avenue would be the dual setup from an 03 cobra. Then you would have plenty of room to grow if you ever decide to upgrade blowers later.
I asked about this option before replacing the pump in my car. I was led to believe that
if you want to go with the dual pumps, you need to also replace the tank since the
bucket was different enough that it wouldn't just drop in the non-cobra tank. YMMV...
Old 10-27-2011

So I finally ended up buying the SVT Focus pump and I was wondering if I have to drill holes in the basket like alot of people talk about doing on other forums??
Old 11-07-2011
SOEC Member

Not sure, but I have to replace my pump as well and I was under the impression you could replace just the pump assy and not the whole pump, sending unit, etc... I was going to go with the 2005 pump and etc, but it was like $495 where as the Focus pump $155.
Old 11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
Not sure, but I have to replace my pump as well and I was under the impression you could replace just the pump assy and not the whole pump, sending unit, etc... I was going to go with the 2005 pump and etc, but it was like $495 where as the Focus pump $155.
I just went ahead and replaced the pump and used my old assembly. I paid $235 for mine though. :/
Old 11-07-2011
SOEC Member

If you are going to be running a stock series IV supercharger I would either go back to a stock pump or a focus pump. Both of these pumps are good for what you are running. A Focus pump would allow for some growth though.

Depending on where your fuel pressure gauge is getting it signal from will make a difference to your reading. If you datalog and compare it to the gauge you will see a difference. 20psi on a gauge could be 30-40psi at the PCM. The PCM maintains the fuel rail between 40 and 50psi no matter what but the volume is increased by making the pumps pump faster with more fuel by the FPDM.
Old 11-08-2011
SOEC Member

Speaking of pumps, I was trying to order one like 30 days ago from Haney Motorsports. I tried to call them to no avail, tried to Email them, but got no response. Anyone know if they are still in business? I'll have to source another place to buy the pump, but it kind of sucks as the pump was like 130 then, went up 2 weeks later to 155, now its 200 bucks.