The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 04-12-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Series VI supercharger alternator

Haven't seen this anywhere else so I thought I would share. My car has a series VI supercharger with a JLT intake. I never liked the way the electrical connectors rubbed on the intake. Last week my alternator went out so I replaced it with a 2010 alternator. The electrical connectors don't rub and it's a direct bolt in for older cars. Plus it's an improved Denso design that is more reliable.
Old 04-12-2015
SOEC Member

Good info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-12-2015

Here is a picture in the car before the intake goes on
Attached Thumbnails
2015-04-12 17.00.41.jpg  

Old 04-13-2015

def good info.....thanks!!
Old 04-14-2015

I forgot to mention that if you get a 2010 alternator for an automatic it will be less expensive and the pulley won't need changing.
Old 05-02-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoploader View Post
I forgot to mention that if you get a 2010 alternator for an automatic it will be less expensive and the pulley won't need changing.
Did you have any issue mounting the ALT?

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 05-02-2015

No problems. It mounted right up.
Old 05-03-2015

Quote:
Is there a different alternator for manuals and does it have a clutch type pulley?
Old 05-03-2015

The manuals have a clutch pulley. If you have a series VI you won't need that though.
Old 05-04-2015

Quote:
Haven't seen this anywhere else so I thought I would share. My car has a series VI supercharger with a JLT intake. I never liked the way the electrical connectors rubbed on the intake. Last week my alternator went out so I replaced it with a 2010 alternator. The electrical connectors don't rub and it's a direct bolt in for older cars. Plus it's an improved Denso design that is more reliable.
From looking at your pics, it still appears the electrical connectors are in the same location, but just slightly lower..

IMHO, I'd still look into having your alternator re-clocked, as this would move your electrical connectors completely away from your intake inlet altogether..
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 05-04-2015

Quote:
The manuals have a clutch pulley. If you have a series VI you won't need that though.
Would you mind providing more details behind your reasons for this ? As I don't understand what having a Saleen Series VI has anything to do with not needing an alternator that has a clutch pulley for manuals..

IMHO if they're required for manual transmissions ? Then they should still be required regardless of whether or not you have a Series VI or any other type of forced induction for that matter !
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 05-04-2015
Saleen Staff User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TorchRedGT View Post
Would you mind providing more details behind your reasons for this ? As I don't understand what having a Saleen Series VI has anything to do with not needing an alternator that has a clutch pulley for manuals..

IMHO if they're required for manual transmissions ? Then they should still be required regardless of whether or not you have a Series VI or any other type of forced induction for that matter !
With a Series VI, the alternator is reverse mounted (front becomes back, back is now front), a clutch will interfere with the reverse spin of the newly orientated alternator.

Understand?
1-800-888-8945
sales@saleen.com
shop.saleen.com
Old 05-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenTech View Post
With a Series VI, the alternator is reverse mounted (front becomes back, back is now front), a clutch will interfere with the reverse spin of the newly orientated alternator.

Understand?
Its not that it will interfere, its that it wont engage properly. Its similar to a gear on a multi speed bicycle.

I really like this alternator as since the alt is mounted in a bracket housing without the open slots, this disallows the alt to move out of its mounting pedestal due to the "slot" style receiver. We've known of a few people with higher boost that have had their alt slam into the water pump pulley! I'm liking this alt!

Old 05-04-2015

The electrical connector is on the back a little lower than the 05 to 09 alternators. Reclocking the original would certainly help but you will still have an alternator with a known reliability problem. The 2010 alternators are a different design that is supposed to be more reliable which is why Ford switched.

The
Quote:
From looking at your pics, it still appears the electrical connectors are in the same location, but just slightly lower..

IMHO, I'd still look into having your alternator re-clocked, as this would move your electrical connectors completely away from your intake inlet altogether..
Old 05-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenTech View Post

Understand?
No ! I do not understand at all.. Although I'm fully aware with a Series VI the alternator is reversed where the front becomes back and back is now front, there is no mention anywhere in the Saleen Series VI instruction manual that requires replacing the stock alternator from the clutch type which are for manual transmissions over to a non clutch type used in automatic transmissions..

All that's mentioned in the instruction manual concerning the alternator is replacing the stock pulley with the new Saleen alt pulley included with the 475 HP upgrade kit..

I would like to speak with you over the phone in more detail as I'm really very confused and concerned, as I've been running the original stock alternator with the Saleen Series VI for over 8 years and have not experienced any spin issues whatsoever.. In the meantime, if you don't wish to reveal your name in this thread ? Just submit a PM and also let me know as to when is the best time to reach you.. Thanks
Old 05-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
Its not that it will interfere, its that it wont engage properly. Its similar to a gear on a multi speed bicycle.
Jason ! I am really very confused because if the original stock alternator will not function properly with a Saleen Series VI, then why is there no mention in the Saleen instruction manual that requires replacing it for a non clutch type which is designed for automatic transmissions ??? To my knowledge, I still have the original OEM alternator which was never changed after having the Saleen series VI installed well over 8 years ago.. All that was changed according to the Saleen instruction manual was install the new Saleen alternator pulley which was required and included in the 475 HP upgrade kit..

In the meantime, hope to hear back from you soon.. Rocky
Old 05-05-2015

Quote:
The electrical connector is on the back a little lower than the 05 to 09 alternators. Reclocking the original would certainly help but you will still have an alternator with a known reliability problem. The 2010 alternators are a different design that is supposed to be more reliable which is why Ford switched.

The
Thanks ! I will definitely look into this further..
Old 05-05-2015

Quote:
Jason ! I am really very confused because if the original stock alternator will not function properly with a Saleen Series VI, then why is there no mention in the Saleen instruction manual that requires replacing it for a non clutch type which is designed for automatic transmissions ??? To my knowledge, I still have the original OEM alternator which was never changed after having the Saleen series VI installed well over 8 years ago.. All that was changed according to the Saleen instruction manual was install the new Saleen alternator pulley which was required and included in the 475 HP upgrade kit..

In the meantime, hope to hear back from you soon.. Rocky
Rocky,

Take it easy bud, your getting all excited over something very simple! When your alternator was removed for assembly, a "NON" clutch style pulley was installed if your alt did not have one. The ALT itself doesnt matter, but the pulley on it does. SOOO if you need a new ALT, make sure you take the pulley off and install on the new ALT prior to installation. A "CLUTCH" style will not engage properly spinning backwards which is why you need to use a standard or "NON" clutch style pulley.

Automatic or manual trans....it doesnt matter, you need a non-clutch style pulley.

Old 05-06-2015

Quote:
Rocky,

Take it easy bud, your getting all excited over something very simple! When your alternator was removed for assembly, a "NON" clutch style pulley was installed if your alt did not have one. The ALT itself doesnt matter, but the pulley on it does. SOOO if you need a new ALT, make sure you take the pulley off and install on the new ALT prior to installation. A "CLUTCH" style will not engage properly spinning backwards which is why you need to use a standard or "NON" clutch style pulley.

Automatic or manual trans....it doesnt matter, you need a non-clutch style pulley.
Thanks for clearing everything up Jason, as I completely misinterpreted the OP's post.. As I interpreted his post as meaning the entire alternator needed replaced if equipped with a clutch type assembly rather than just replace the pulley..

Perhaps both the OP and the Saleen tech should had been more specific in their descriptions as this would had prevented yours truly from going into panic mode in the first place and avoided any misinterpretations to begin with..

Anyhow, yes the stock alternator clutch pulley was replaced with the non clutch pulley that was included in the Saleen Series VI kit
Old 05-06-2015

I think it was pretty clear that the automatic alternator already has the correct pulley and is cheaper too. Plus the 2010 is an improved design.

The only reason I changed alternators was because mine went out as I stated in the original post. These cars are known for eating alternators so I was trying to give everyone a heads up on an improvement.
Old 05-06-2015

Quote:
I think it was pretty clear that the automatic alternator already has the correct pulley and is cheaper too. Plus the 2010 is an improved design.

The only reason I changed alternators was because mine went out as I stated in the original post. These cars are known for eating alternators so I was trying to give everyone a heads up on an improvement.
Well it's pretty obvious that you weren't quite clear enough ! Otherwise I wouldn't had misinterpreted your original post to begin with, as I had no idea what you were referring to when you mentioned that you didn't need a manual clutch type alternator with a Saleen series VI supercharger..

I interpreted that as meaning you were referring to replacing the entire alternator altogether along with the pulley

If on other hand you had just mentioned that only the pulley itself is required to be changed to a non-clutch type ? We would had both been on the very same page in which I wouldn't had misunderstood where you were coming from to begin with..
Old 05-06-2015

"The manuals have a clutch pulley. If you have a series VI you won't need that though."

Sorry. I can't help it if you didn't know that a non-clutch pulley is needed. Most on this forum probably know that. Its cleared up now so no harm no foul. I'm not debating this any more.
Old 05-06-2015

I'm just trying to help so lets try to make this clear:

A 2010 GT alternator will work on any 2005 to 2009 4.6L 3V powered Mustang to my knowledge.
1 .If it is equipped with a manual transmission then order the alternator for a manual transmission.
2. If it is equipped with an automatic transmission then order the one for an automatic.
3. If it is equipped with a Saleen Series VI supercharger then order the one for an automatic transmission regardless of what transmission the vehicle actually has. The automatic transmission alternators have a non-clutch pulley which is needed for the Series VI application.
Old 05-06-2015

Quote:
Thanks for clearing everything up Jason, as I completely misinterpreted the OP's post.. As I interpreted his post as meaning the entire alternator needed replaced if equipped with a clutch type assembly rather than just replace the pulley..

Perhaps both the OP and the Saleen tech should had been more specific in their descriptions as this would had prevented yours truly from going into panic mode in the first place and avoided any misinterpretations to begin with..

Anyhow, yes the stock alternator clutch pulley was replaced with the non clutch pulley that was included in the Saleen Series VI kit
Glad I could help! Sometimes its all in the approach I guess.

Old 05-06-2015

Quote:
"The manuals have a clutch pulley. If you have a series VI you won't need that though."

Sorry. I can't help it if you didn't know that a non-clutch pulley is needed. Most on this forum probably know that. Its cleared up now so no harm no foul. I'm not debating this any more.
As Jason from 281 motorsports mentioned in his reply, my clutch pulley was replaced when the Saleen Series VI was installed which also included the non-clutch pulley with the kit..

It's not that I didn't know about the pulley, however as I mentioned in my previous replies to your original post, I misunderstood and thought you meant you were referring to the entire alternator assembly as being a clutch type and not just the pulley..

Therefore there was never anything to debate to begin with, as it was just a simple misunderstanding and nothing more..

In the meantime, when the time finally does come to replace the alternator ? I will most definitely order the 2010 Denso unit from Ford for the automatic trans
Old 05-06-2015

Quote:
I'm just trying to help so lets try to make this clear:

A 2010 GT alternator will work on any 2005 to 2009 4.6L 3V powered Mustang to my knowledge.
1 .If it is equipped with a manual transmission then order the alternator for a manual transmission.
2. If it is equipped with an automatic transmission then order the one for an automatic.
3. If it is equipped with a Saleen Series VI supercharger then order the one for an automatic transmission regardless of what transmission the vehicle actually has. The automatic transmission alternators have a non-clutch pulley which is needed for the Series VI application.
I completely understand where your coming from and we're now both on the same page..

Therefore when my current alternator finally does give out ? I will be upgrading to the 2010 GT alternator for an automatic transmission with non-clutch type pulley..

I just have one last question.. Is the non-clutch pulley for the 2010 GT alternator also the same size as the non-clutch pulley that's included with the Saleen Series VI supercharger kit ?
Old 05-06-2015

Quote:
Glad I could help! Sometimes its all in the approach I guess.
It was just a simple misunderstanding on my part Jason, so thanks once again for all your help
Old 05-30-2015
SOEC Member

+500 for this post. This should be a sticky somewhere. Why couldn't I have read this post a week ago when I ordered and alternator... put it in and was like.. "well this sux".

2010 automatic alternator FTW!

If you want to use any alternator, here is the tool kit you need to get the pulley off of the alternator:

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-57650-Al...or+pulley+tool

Its made by Lisle, which is the same company that makes the broken spark plug removal tool. I'm freaking loving Lisle corp right now!!!
2006 3-valve - upgraded with Series VI Supercharger - 3.875 Pulley - 39 lbs injectors- Kenne Bell Boost a Pump - JBA Long Tube Headers - Steeda Cold Air Intake - Kenwood DNX6160 In Dash Navigation unit - Stuff and things
Old 05-30-2015

Glad you liked it.
Old 07-17-2015
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubV796 View Post
+500 for this post. This should be a sticky somewhere. Why couldn't I have read this post a week ago when I ordered and alternator... put it in and was like.. "well this sux".

2010 automatic alternator FTW!

If you want to use any alternator, here is the tool kit you need to get the pulley off of the alternator:

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-57650-Al...or+pulley+tool

Its made by Lisle, which is the same company that makes the broken spark plug removal tool. I'm freaking loving Lisle corp right now!!!

Which alternator did you go with? My alternator just developed the death squeak and looking at the Pa Performance 130 (really 160) or 200 amp alternator. But I'm not even sure if I really need a 200 amp or if it will be just overkill.
Old 07-17-2015

I just used a stock one from a 2010 automatic.
Old 07-17-2015
SOEC Member

Quote:

I saw that bud. I was referring to which one Dub used for a replacement. That is why I quoted him. Thanks though 👍.
Old 07-18-2015

Quote:
You still have not addressed my question ! I asked you specifically if the pulley size from the Denso 2010 automatic is the same as the alternator pulley that's included in the Saleen 475 HP supercharger kit.. Therefore if you can't bother to provide an answer ? Then I'll assume that you just don't know
Old 07-18-2015

I didn't see your other question until now. I assume you have never heard the expression we use in the South that "you will attract more flies with sugar than vinegar". In spite of that....The pulley is the same size.

QUOTE=06TorchRedGT;133654]You still have not addressed my question ! I asked you specifically if the pulley size from the Denso 2010 automatic is the same as the alternator pulley that's included in the Saleen 475 HP supercharger kit.. Therefore if you can't bother to provide an answer ? Then I'll assume that you just don't know [/QUOTE]
Old 07-19-2015

Quote:
I didn't see your other question until now. I assume you have never heard the expression we use in the South that "you will attract more flies with sugar than vinegar". In spite of that....The pulley is the same size.
In that case, I'll refresh your memory ! My original question was posted over 2 months ago which was post #26 in this thread