The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 1998-2001 XP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1998-2001 XP For the XP6 & XP8 Ford Explorer-based models.

Old 01-11-2009
SOEC Member

Default XP8 windshield banners

Does anyone know the exact dimensions, or where I could get one? I'm looking for a solid gray. Thanks
Old 01-11-2009
Inactive Account

Default Banner

I can measure mine for you, if you would like.
Old 01-11-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenlocator View Post
I can measure mine for you, if you would like.
That would be great, although I'm not sure how easy it would be to measure the curvature of the decal itself before it's put on the windshield.
Old 01-12-2009
Administrator

I was under the impression that the XPs used the same Saleen banners as the Mustangs. No?
Old 01-12-2009
Inactive Account

Not sure we will hopefully find out this weekend. Whne I can get measurements and pictures.
Old 01-12-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I was under the impression that the XPs used the same Saleen banners as the Mustangs. No?
From what I've been told, the curvature of the Explorer windshield is unique to all other Saleen vehicles. If a Mustang banner is used, it will not look perfectly straight across the windshield.
Old 01-12-2009
SOEC Member

I found another XP8 owner in NJ that had some solid gray banners remade using an original as a copy. I'll have a few of those coming my way. I'm also in contact with an XP8 owner in IL that can have the original shadowed banners made that were on a few earlier XP8's.
Old 01-12-2009
Inactive Account

I would be interested in a couple if he is selling them.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2009
Administrator

Neat stuff. Learn something everyday.
Old 01-13-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenlocator View Post
I would be interested in a couple if he is selling them.

Thanks
Which style; the shadowed or solid? The solid are a bit more difficult to order since the XP8 owner lives rather far from the decal shop. 2000xp8 on Explorerx.com is the one to contact about those. Steady on Ex.com is the hook-up for the shadowed banners. I plan to put a solid gray on mine, and then get a shadowed for future use if needed. I assume mine originally had a shadowed.
Old 01-13-2009
Administrator

I think the pre-production XPs where photoed with the shadow banner.

I like the shadow look, though.
Old 01-14-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I think the pre-production XPs where photoed with the shadow banner.

I like the shadow look, though.
I believe you are correct, however I know 98-0053 that was local in MN had the shadowed banner as well when it was sold on Ebay in '07. I'm not sure if the former owner had added it or not.
Old 01-14-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

you guys might wanna ask on the XP8 forum, there are some pretty active members here.
It has always been very helpfull for me.
http://forums.explorerx.com/index.php?showforum=20

Hennie
Old 01-14-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie View Post
you guys might wanna ask on the XP8 forum, there are some pretty active members here.
It has always been very helpfull for me.
http://forums.explorerx.com/index.php?showforum=20

Hennie
Hey Hennie, I'm actually 95Xsport on there and quite active for a few years now so I'm well aware of it. 2000xp8 and Steady on there are the two that I contacted for the banners. Steady also helped me get my plaque reproduced by sending some pics of his 98-0005 my way
Old 01-14-2009

Ok great!
yes the shaded non shaded banners have been 'misty' for long time, some had them others not, and as far as I know it has never been exactly cleared.
mine was a SEMA truck and as far as I know it has come with the regular silver banners.
BTW I had to cut mine as well to get the letters lined out/curved along the lines of the windshield.

Hennie
Old 01-15-2009
SOEC Member

I had to replace the windshield on my 99 XP last summer. I went to a sign shop with a cumputer vinyl sign cutter. They took digital pix cut a trial then recurved it to correct for what the computer thought it saw in the digital pix to get it exact. Now its stored on the PC so they can be reprinted ( cut ) Mine is a solid white not shadowed. You would need to be careful to match the color if you're worried about originality. Let me know if you still need help.

I have heard that some XP8's went out the door with stang banners and they don't look right.
Old 01-17-2009
SOEC Member

Thanks for the info. I have two gray solid banners on their way here right now. I also plan to get a shadowed banner from the other person I'm in contact with for future use. I've also seen the Mustang banners on the XP8's and they definitely don't line up with the windshield nicely.
Old 01-18-2009

The very early XP8's had the shadow banners. The mustang ones will not work and will look very bad unless you cut the letters apart and fix them so they curve correctly.

I know that Ed from IL has the shadow banner and it is a early 1998 XP8. Mine is a 1999 and has the solid.

Let us know how the banners come out for you my1stang, I would be interested in knowing.

SOEC Member and Supporter
Old 01-18-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awayne View Post
The very early XP8's had the shadow banners. The mustang ones will not work and will look very bad unless you cut the letters apart and fix them so they curve correctly.

I know that Ed from IL has the shadow banner and it is a early 1998 XP8. Mine is a 1999 and has the solid.

Let us know how the banners come out for you my1stang, I would be interested in knowing.
I will do that. The owner of XP8 00-0030 (I think one of the last) is the one that copied an original solid banner and has been getting copies for a few others in the past couple years. It should turn out just fine. They're supposed to be here (currently I'm in Oklahoma City) early next week. I will get a pic after it's on.

And Ed is the person I was talking about that owns 98-0005. He is "Steady" on ExplorerX. Very helpful guy. As I mentioned, it was because of his help that I was able to get a console plaque remade. He also had a spare fog light assembly that he sent a pic of so I could identify its replacement, as I need new ones.
Old 01-18-2009

The fog lights are just Mustang GT ones (you can use 1998 ones) installed upside down...

Well thats atleast what I used and it worked fine with mine.

They come with a mounting bracket that you remove and then install onto the XP8.

Post or send me a pic that you have for me to see as well. I want to see if it is something different from what I stated above.

Old 01-18-2009
SOEC Member

Ed gave me a few pics but here's one

I looked on Ebay and this does look nearly identical to the 94-98 Mustang fog assemblies. My problem is the amount of rust my XP8 has. I don't know how easy it would be to bolt on a new assembly.
Old 01-19-2009

I installed a set of PIAA driving lights, after the originals had so much water in them I could keep some fish in these 2 lights...
Wayne is right, they are a set of mustang foglights upside down which is why the fill up with water.
If you do need the extra light I would go for the PIAA lights as they really improve your sight a lot.
They fit in nicely and look as they OEM foglights

Hennie
Old 01-19-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie View Post
I installed a set of PIAA driving lights, after the originals had so much water in them I could keep some fish in these 2 lights...
Wayne is right, they are a set of mustang foglights upside down which is why the fill up with water.
If you do need the extra light I would go for the PIAA lights as they really improve your sight a lot.
They fit in nicely and look as they OEM foglights

Hennie
Hennie do you have a link to the particular lenses you bought? I do want it to look 100% factory, or close to it.
Old 01-19-2009

Nope, but I think I still have the original box,a dn i can send you some pics if you wish on how they look on mine?
Just drop me a line a info@lek.nl, and will send you the info tomorrow

Hennie
Old 01-19-2009
SOEC Member

Sounds good, I will do that.
Old 01-19-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1stang View Post
Ed gave me a few pics but here's one

I looked on Ebay and this does look nearly identical to the 94-98 Mustang fog assemblies. My problem is the amount of rust my XP8 has. I don't know how easy it would be to bolt on a new assembly.
As Wayne suggested, these were indeed take-off from the Mustang GTs that Saleen otherwise discarded from S281 conversions... simply flipped upside-down.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 01-20-2009

To install you just get rid of the bracket and mount to the XP8.... Like Hennie stated, since they are upside down they will get water in them but they are the "factory" replacement for broken ones.

I can tell you that I did replace one and it was maybe a year before it was ready to be replaced again. I never replaced it BUT when I do, I will be sealing the top (which was the bottom) of the light and then maybe drilling a few very very small holes in the bottom (which was the top) to let any water out that would get in.

Old 01-21-2009
SOEC Member

Well like I had said earlier, the reinforcement currently keeping the foglight brackets on are very rusted and I'm sure it won't be easy to bolt on a new set of brackets. Hennie sent a few pics to me of his PIAA set. While not stock, they don't look bad at all. I'll look into a set of 94-98 GT fog lights though (fyi 99-04 are not the same). I would definitely seal it with some silicone also.