The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-17-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Red face Help: Raxiom Gen5 tail lamp install - 2007 S281 SC

So, I got a set of the raxiom gen 5 tail lights brought out to New Zealand, on the basis that the conversion was a simple plug and play .... so that's, of course when the trouble started.

When plugged in the tail-lights work well, up to a point... Stop lights work, lights work, reverse works.

But the indicators always flash/sequence on both sides, regardless of which direction is being indicated. When braking the indicating side stops flashing and then comes on solid.

Contacted American muscle and they say it should just work. Then they asked me if my saleen was an export version (alarm bells going off at this stage) .... on saying yes, they said that maybe the wiring was different for the export versions...

Not knowing, i took the car down to an auto electrician, who scratched his head a lot and said the wiring was the strangest thing he had ever seen, having additional wires to the stock loom (leading back to the front of the car) control module in the wheel well, wires that loop back and seem to go nowhere.

The car is 07-104, It was exported to Japan and made its way here to NZ. I suspect it was a export build as it has orange indicators and additional indicators in the mirrors, KM/H prominent on the speedo.

So, before i go and sell these lights to another mustang owner, i thought i would post this to see if anyone could provide further information, advice, or maybe even a solution? or even confirm the wiring is standard or not?

I like the black look on the car so would have to get them running.

I have attached photos of the existing wiring
Attached Thumbnails
left rear.jpg  

Left Rear - Extra Wires (Live for indicator).jpg  

Right Rear Close Up.jpg  

Right Rear (Looks like red wires from left rear heading toward front of car).jpg  

Right Rear.jpg  

Old 11-17-2016

Bump..... was there anyone out there who could help me with this? Or point me to some one that can?
Old 11-17-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

The control module in the spare tire well is the fuel pump controller - it has nothing to do with the taillights. I doubt that your exported Mustang has a different wiring harness than a US model but it has obviously been modified. My guess is that the turn signal lights in the side mirrors are getting fed from the connections in your picture. Do your stock lights work correctly?
2004-013 Ford Mustang Salween Extreme-FOR SALE
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible SA-20 clone
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8-SOLD
2002 Big Dog Pitbull-SOLD
2005-1343 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281. Barricade replica-SOLD
2011 Ram Express
2006-016 Ford Mustang Saleen Extreme-FOR SALE
2012 Ford F150 FX2
2007-300 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281-FOR SALE
2005 Ram SRT-10 RC CE #43-FOR SALE
Old 11-17-2016

All the lights work correctly when the originals are fitted ... Although the original export taillights are led and contain the yellow indicators .... is it possible Saleen did modify the wiring for those lights for the export version? .... it does look like there are extra wires in there and yes these maybe for the wing mirrors, as the go towards the front of the car ... it just seems weird to me that the plug and plays wouldn't work, as they require all the same connections to go to brake, lights, indicators. Am thinking it would be good to see what the wiring looks like on a standard gt. A local club member tried the raxioms on a standard gt and ensures me they were working (although i didn't get a chance to see them)
Old 11-17-2016

I can look at my setup tomorrow and see which wires/pins have power when running/braking/turning and you can try comparing that you what you have. Do you have access to a voltmeter?
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2011 Ram Express
2012 Ford F150 FX2
Old 11-17-2016

That would really be appreciated.... just want to try and work out what might be different from stock .... yes I have volt meter
Old 11-18-2016

If you look at the main wiring harness the plug on the drivers side is #C410 on the schematic and the pinout should be
1 - Black Ground
2 - White/Red Turn lamp 2
3 - Dark Blue/Yellow Stop lamp 1
4 - ??
5 - Light Blue/Orange Turn lamp 1
6 - Tan/Red Stop lamp 2

I can't find pin 4 on the schematic so not sure what that is but if your other wires are in the correct pins then you should have a stock Ford (US spec) wiring harness. Hope this helps.

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f.../#&gid=1&pid=3
http://themustangsource.com/forums/f.../#&gid=1&pid=3
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2011 Ram Express
2012 Ford F150 FX2
Old 11-26-2016

Thanks ..... will have a good look next weekend .... a quick look looks a little different from this
Old 11-27-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashRobert View Post
The car is 07-104, It was exported to Japan and made its way here to NZ. I suspect it was a export build as it has orange indicators and additional indicators in the mirrors, KM/H prominent on the speedo.
07-0104 S281 Supercharged was ordered to be an export model.

The chassis order was placed through Campbell Ford and the chassis was drop shipped to Saleen, Inc. Your vehicle was not from Saleen's "pool of Mustangs." Your car was shipped and sold to Hearte International of Japan. To retail the vehicles, a company called "Blue Flame" acted as the Saleen dealer for Japanese distribution.

For the 2007, Hearte International ordered 16 Saleen Mustangs for export.

* S281 3-Valve = 3
* S281 Supercharged = 9
* S281 Extreme = 1
* S302 Parnelli Jones = 3

Your car is one of three 2007 S281 Supercharged coupes in exterior color Black that Hearte International ordered. Of those, two were automatic transmissions and one 5-speed manual.

From 2005 through 2008 Hearte International ordered 48 Saleen Mustangs for export. One unique export model is the 2008 H281. This was a continuation of the US 2007 H281, but with a few 2008 H302 cosmetic additions.
Old 11-27-2016

That's quite interesting .... Would love to know more ....

So I'm guessing that the wiring etc was left in the hands of the Japanese company? or was it done by ford? does this also mean that the tail lights and side mirrors were provided and installed by them as well or were they from Saleen?

interestingly the side mirrors were actually moulded to the car using bolts embedded in fibreglass. (badly!) I suspect this wasn't standard Saleen practice. They are now in a box somewhere and replaced by some from AM (with the side indicators - strangely they worked no problem)

Have had a further look at the taillights and eventually gave up on them and sold them to another mustang owner ... Worked perfectly of course and first time (understandably jealous at that point)

This also begs the question that if the original taillights were to be damaged, or fail ... How on earth would I find replacements to work?

Ah, car adventures ... its a love/hate thing

Thanks for your info Dave
Old 11-27-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashRobert View Post
That's quite interesting .... Would love to know more ....

So I'm guessing that the wiring etc was left in the hands of the Japanese company? or was it done by ford? does this also mean that the tail lights and side mirrors were provided and installed by them as well or were they from Saleen?

interestingly the side mirrors were actually moulded to the car using bolts embedded in fibreglass. (badly!) I suspect this wasn't standard Saleen practice. They are now in a box somewhere and replaced by some from AM (with the side indicators - strangely they worked no problem)
I expect the tail lamps and side mirrors to originate from Japan. Modifications made to these vehicles once they arrived from the US.

Want a new Bullitt or BOSS Mustang? Go to Japan.
http://www.autoblog.com/
Attached Images