The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 01-28-2017
Registered Users (Inactive)

Question Q: Value range for 1986 model?

With the recent (and dramatic) increase in Foxbody prices I'm wondering what a running driving '86 might be worth. Definitely needs a complete paint and a hood. I have a friend going to look at it today.
Old 01-29-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Do not let the prices at the recent auctions fool you. Yes I have noticed an increase in value lately but I would not go by what a few individuals paid for a few cars just because they had super low miles.
A car is only worth what some one is wiilling to pay for it.
I bought 85-132 almost a year and a half ago and I complained to my wife that I thought I paid to much. But I wanted the car so.....
I have noticed the early cars seem considerably less valuable than the later fox body saleens that had engine work done by Saleen.

With that being said, what kind of condition us it in and are all the Saleen specific parts there? What is the interior condition, engine, body, suspension?
Give us a few more details to go on.
Tan interior
Old 01-29-2017
SOEC Member

I'm in the same boat. Bought 86-0015 and is was not as described. Had to year it all apart, refresh engine, replace trans, replace spindles and rear axle (was 5 lug) all new interior and repaint, replace wheels and put on new tires. I'm upside-down but I wanted thay specific car so the value is intrinsic I guess. If it as far gone as mine or 85-0132 was I'd say between $5000 & $7000 depending on condition, originality and desire.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
86-0015.jpg  

Old 01-29-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

Close friend of mine has been given his fathers old 86 Cobra. Id like to clone it for him if budget allows. So hard to find these cars, there all gone up here.
Old 01-29-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

86 and 85 Saleens should not be compared, value wise. Although seemingly the same, they're not even close. I can probably source a complete 86 body kit with one call to the Saleen factory. The 85 components are way more expensive to buy, and nearly impossible to find. Mechanicals are easier to get for 86 cars too. Smog parts and wiring seem to have deteriorated quickly on the 85's.

Here's my list of things I need to complete one of my 85 Saleens, and I've been looking for 9 years:

Rear spats in urethane
Clear headlight covers
Single Hayashi Racing centercap with silver decal
Correct Saleen Mustang air cleaner lid decal
Luckily, I've been able to obtain 2 of the last 4 urethane airdams that were for sale publicly in the last 9 years. They cost me around 2k each!

As to the original question, it depends on all the original parts being present, the condition, the level of modification etc. The early build 86's had the 85 body kits, so be prepared to spend up if the stuff is missing. The 86 is the best year to restore on the cheap. You can get the body kits and the unobtanium FloFit seat material isn't an issue.

DO let the recent prices drive your decision to buy sooner than later. Once the collector types start snapping them up, and they already have been, the cars will be even harder to find and purchase reasonably.
Old 01-30-2017
SOEC Member

Rear spats in urethane - call Mike Charles

Clear headlight covers - an early set was just on eBay and GTS still makes them. Available through several retailers.

Single Hayashi Racing centercap with silver decal - call Jake Aywas

Correct Saleen Mustang air cleaner lid decal - one of these was on eBay last year. Try Mike Charles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokn Nx View Post
Luckily, I've been able to obtain 2 of the last 4 urethane airdams that were for sale publicly in the last 9 years. They cost me around 2k each!
- congratulations!!! I'm still looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokn Nx View Post
DO let the recent prices drive your decision to buy sooner than later.
- Amen!!!.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk