The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1994-1998 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1994-1998 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-17-2013
SOEC Member

Default Q: What does "B" signify after bumper number?

Hello every one! I'm new on here and have a question if you can help. I'm looking at a 98 speedster for sale . 98-008B is the number on the build plaque. And it has "08B" on the front bumper. My question is , what does the "B" stand for?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 08-17-2013
SOEC Member

Pic of bumper number
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 08-17-2013
SOEC Member

Build plaque under hood
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 08-17-2013
SOEC Member

The B is for budget. A limited number of cars from 96-98 were rented through Budget rent a car facilities. The program was similar to what Shelby and Hertz did in the Sixties and again in 06-07. I believe all Budget cars are convertibles and most were automatics. Not all of these cars were rented, some ended up with executives. There is a fair amount of information on this forum and on the Internet. People have differing options if this makes them more valuable or not today or in the future.
1998 Saleen Explorer 98-01 Sold
1998 Saleen Explorer 98-22 Sold
1999 Saleen Explorer 99-19 Sold
2000 Saleen Explorer 00-29 Sold
Old 08-17-2013
SOEC Member

Thanks for the info. I heard some where that the lower number cars were usually reserved for corporate and family . Not sure how accurate that is, or if its a seperate number sequence for the rentals with the letter B. Thanks again for the info.
Old 08-17-2013
Administrator

Hi! The Budget S281 convertibles had their own numbering system.

Ten Budget Saleens were produced in 1998. Their numbers were 01 through 05 and 07 through 11.

Five were automatic, five were manuals.

Budgets were produced from 1996 through 1998. With 1998 models being the most rare.
Old 08-18-2013
SOEC Member

So is there a demand for these cars or do the other Saleen owner look down on them? The speedster below seems as if it wouldn't have been a rental. Also are the cars documented in the registry as well? I've been waiting on the "right" one to pop up for years. But it's time to pull the trigger on one. My neighbor bought 96-#221 ( laser red ) coupe brand new and later sold it, and I've regretted not buying it from him every since. It was a N/A car with a vortech added at the dealer. I know these aren't the most popular but I'm drawn to that body style for some reason.

Last edited by captmaples; 08-18-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2013
SOEC Member

I can't say if your 98 actually was ever on rental lot, but it is opted like the rental versions. I don't think any Saleen owner is going to look down on any model Saleen. Just some believe these cars may bring more money in the future, but only time will tell. As far as heritage, these cars are full blown Saleens... This is a nice looking car and if the price is right I don't see no reason not to pick it up.
Old 08-18-2013
SOEC Member

Default Budget value

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmaples View Post
Hello every one! I'm new on here and have a question if you can help. I'm looking at a 98 speedster for sale . 98-008B is the number on the build plaque. And it has "08B" on the front bumper. My question is , what does the "B" stand for?
I would jump on the offer and this car comes with possibly the original Magnesium wheels also rare. Car looks well kept.
1998 Saleen Speedster (S351 SC) #14
Black on Black
Old 08-18-2013
SOEC Member

I believe he is asking $14,980 for it with 83,000 miles. Wasn't sure if it was worth it since it was a "Budget" car. Thanks for the help fellas
Old 08-18-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
So is there a demand for these cars or do the other Saleen owner look down on them? The speedster below seems as if it wouldn't have been a rental. Also are the cars documented in the registry as well? I've been waiting on the "right" one to pop up for years. But it's time to pull the trigger on one. My neighbor bought 96-#221 ( laser red ) coupe brand new and later sold it, and I've regretted not buying it from him every since. It was a N/A car with a vortech added at the dealer. I know these aren't the most popular but I'm drawn to that body style for some reason.

any pics of 221, thats the number right before mine! i will admit i like the 94-98 body style as well, if it looks good in person if at all possible to see, i would buy it, its a rare color for sure!

Quote:
I believe he is asking $14,980 for it with 83,000 miles. Wasn't sure if it was worth it since it was a "Budget" car. Thanks for the help fellas
its worth whatever you think it is, some will say you could buy a 99-04 with a supercharger for that price, or a 96-98 cobra with a 4v and more horsepower, but if you can afford this one, get it., maybe offer a bit lower if it has flaws or if you need to tune it up and do some maintenance
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 08-19-2013
Saleen Forums Participant

That car has been for sale for a while -- I'd bet you can pick it up a bit cheaper.

Nice car by the way, although I'm partial to the Budget cars ;)
Old 08-19-2013
SOEC Member

No Oxford s281, I don't have any pics of #221 any more. It was immaculate when Terry owned it. It started to over heat in traffic one day and he had it towed to the dealership. While being loaded on the tow truck the front bumper was damaged and had to be repainted , so he got rid of it since it wasn't 100% original. If I remember correct I think it had the recarro seat option . I'll ask him if he still has pics and if he does I will post them.
Old 02-10-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
No Oxford s281, I don't have any pics of #221 any more. It was immaculate when Terry owned it. It started to over heat in traffic one day and he had it towed to the dealership. While being loaded on the tow truck the front bumper was damaged and had to be repainted , so he got rid of it since it wasn't 100% original. If I remember correct I think it had the recarro seat option . I'll ask him if he still has pics and if he does I will post them.
Sounds good!
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme