The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-15-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: Value effect of adding a supercharger?

Hello I've got a 89 saleen convertible #655 and was wondering how it would effect the value of my car if I add a Vortech supercharger to it
Old 03-16-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

IMO it's going to depend on the buyer.
Some people will see it as a plus, some as a minus.
I would see it as added value, yet I wouldn't pay more for it. Two equal cars, same condition, one with a vortech, one without same price, I take the vortech car. Provided it's a quality install and it's pullied for low boost.

The newer vortechs are self contained and don't require punching into the oil pan, so if you think it will adversely affect value, it can be removed fairly easy.

Just keep in mind, I think everything needs a supercharger.
Sold xp8 2000 #30, all options including alcons
Old 03-16-2017
SOEC Member

And I'm a stock guy, unless it's a factory built Supercharged car, I wouldn't even consider a fox with an added SC.

So as mentioned, it really depends on the person / potential buyer.
Old 03-16-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

It's your car, bolt on a supercharger and drive the wheels off of it. Foxes are more fun with more HP.

If you plan on selling it, leave it stock, you will not recoup your investment.
88-546 sold
89-403 sold
85-084 sold
Old 03-17-2017

If the car is in really good shape, with all its original components and clean, unfaded/unripped seats, I'd leave it alone.

If its got wear and is missing stuff, I'd say enjoy the car. Like somebody else said, a car with mods is usually the same price as one without mods, so you'll never get the money out of the car if you install the mods.

Lately, I've been buying modded foxes, removing all the mods, stocking out the car, and selling them for even money. Some of the better speed parts I keep, the rest get sold to guys who who have a need for speed.

In all, its a decision you should make for yourself. If you just got the car, I'd wait a few months before buying a bunch of parts. These cars tend to trade hands often for different reasons, so before you commit to buying 5k worth of fun stuff, make sure the car is going to meet your performance goals.
Old 03-17-2017

BTW, I had the same dilemma, so I now have more than one Saleen Mustang. One is modded, and the others are stock. Most of us here are in the same boat.
Old 03-17-2017
SOEC Member

If it's a car and a toy and something you want to drive and not worry too much about, put it on..why not ?

But if the end game is making it an investment, and making money on it, then I'd not only leave it stock, I'd restore it.

That being said, these are cars, not CD's. They DESERVE to be run :) In any case, it's your car - you do you and enjoy your decisions !
Old 03-17-2017

my idea from old hot rodding days is the value descreases by half of what you just added. Keep it, mod it, drive it and don't worry about the value. If your ownership is temporary then be ready to put the old parts back or don't mod it. I myself don't want another's project car and headaches. Some good mechanics can deal with that but I'm a hobbyist. Enjoy the drive.
Old 03-17-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

I have quite a few foxes already including a drag car. Just thinking of keeping this car as a collector. It's all stock right now. And in pretty good condition. I'm just used to more power than what a stock fox offers!
Old 03-17-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

And I already have a Vortech laying on the shelf