The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 11-23-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Prefered brand of replacement tires?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for tires for 95% street use and 5% track times. Probably see track 2-3 times per year. But mainly street use for daily driver and with good traction.

Thanks
2006 Saleen Extreme #37:
2.3 Whipple
Kooks Longtube with Catted X-pipe,
Livernois Stage 2 blower cam very mild,
Afco Pro Heat Exchanger,
ID1000 injectors, Autolite HT0 gap at 32,
E85
Tune by Lito "THE GREAT"
684rwhp/ 527tq
1/4 Track Times: 11.10 @ 132 MT drag radials
Old 11-23-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

What kind of track? Drag/road coarse?
Old 11-23-2015

Drag racing ..Dont plan on doing road course at all
2006 Saleen Extreme #37:
2.3 Whipple
Afco Pro Heat Exchanger,
E85
Tune by Lito "THE GREAT"
684rwhp/ 527tq
Old 11-24-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Ive personally tried Nitto 555R drag radial and worked well (1.82 60ft my first time drag racing with it) but doesn't last very long. If I were to get another drag radial, and using them on the saleen 20 inch wheel, I'd go with the Nitto NT05R. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport and they're great on the road coarse and street. There are some very good deals on racestar wheels right now if you'd rather have a dedicated set for the track. They're @ $205 each for a 15x10, but you'll need a sway bar relocation bracket, if you go with a 15x8, you wont need it.
Old 11-24-2015

Well I just ordered michelin pilot super sport 295/35/20. I hope they hook up better than my 8 year old original pirelli's that came with the car. Was going to get Nitto's but it gets very low milage from reading everyones post.
2006 Saleen Extreme #37:
2.3 Whipple
Afco Pro Heat Exchanger,
E85
Tune by Lito "THE GREAT"
684rwhp/ 527tq
Old 11-24-2015
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naych281 View Post
Well I just ordered michelin pilot super sport 295/35/20. I hope they hook up better than my 8 year old original pirelli's that came with the car. Was going to get Nitto's but it gets very low milage from reading everyones post.
I have those same tires and they are a great tire. Ride, noise, handling, traction are all great. I can dead hook second gear at WOT at my power level. Tire life is good too. I have about 10K miles on them with road course and drag strip time and they still have plenty of tread.

Now the bad news. I have noticed some rear sway if I accelerate hard to high speeds, let's say 100mph or so. This was something I only noticed this year. Once I put my drag radials on the sway is gone. I have read that this may be an issue with the tire, in particular, MPSS in the 295/35-20 size. Now, I got mine 3 years ago and there was a shortage this year so maybe it won't be an issue. I am not very happy about it though since I have $800 in tires on the rear with plenty of tread and I will have to throw them out next year. Also, I wouldn't expect to be happy with any street tire at the drag strip. I stopped using street tires a couple years ago because they are not only horrible at hooking on the starting line, but they can still lose some traction going into second and that gets scary. You either have to short shift or pray for traction. I have since moved to a dedicated DOT approved drag radial (MT ET Street R) and they are wonderful. It's worth the investment since you are roasting your street tires and cutting their life and you actually get a tire that can hook on the strip. Just 2 cents from my lessons learned.
Old 01-18-2016

What is the best size tire for the 10" rear rims? Thanks.
Robert
Old 04-22-2016
SOEC Member

Default here is mine

I went from the factory perellies to MICHELIN Pilot love them much better and better ride, softer and smoother ride.

07-55 SC Speedster;
1 of 1. Even with the mode that follow it's still 1 of 1.
3.4 Pulley, Saleen Extream CAI, VI.5 Lid ported, Tune, 62mm FR Throttle Body, Upgrade Chrome 5 spoke wheels, Max Diff 3.73 gear, Rockford punch, Rear bumper inlays (black chrome), Speedster, HID Lights, Saleen Duel Fuel Pumps, MoSaleen Idler, blackout side markers.

1968 GT Convertible Diamond Blue C-Code Concourse. Sold
00-372 - Triple black Conv. Soft Speedster cover. - sold
Old 04-22-2016

Default Rear Tires

Michelin Pilot Super Sports were decent. With our kind of RWH, the Nitto drag radial series or Mickey Thompsons are way better. If you want to hook much quicker. Any other tires get just plain scary when you put the hammer down. I have the NT05R's and love them.
Robert
Old 04-22-2016

Robert,
What rpm are u launching at with drag radials? And what is your 60 ft with them?
2006 Saleen Extreme #37:
2.3 Whipple
Afco Pro Heat Exchanger,
E85
Tune by Lito "THE GREAT"
684rwhp/ 527tq
Old 04-23-2016
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naych281 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking for tires for 95% street use and 5% track times. Probably see track 2-3 times per year. But mainly street use for daily driver and with good traction.

Thanks
Sorry, to begin with I did not read you original post.
But, as an option you could have your street tires, and a separate wheel/tire for the track, since you don't go to the track that often.
Just an FYI/opinion. (and you know what they say about opinions).

07-55 SC Speedster;
1 of 1. Even with the mode that follow it's still 1 of 1.
3.4 Pulley, Saleen Extream CAI, VI.5 Lid ported, Tune, 62mm FR Throttle Body, Upgrade Chrome 5 spoke wheels, Max Diff 3.73 gear, Rockford punch, Rear bumper inlays (black chrome), Speedster, HID Lights, Saleen Duel Fuel Pumps, MoSaleen Idler, blackout side markers.

1968 GT Convertible Diamond Blue C-Code Concourse. Sold
00-372 - Triple black Conv. Soft Speedster cover. - sold