The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-19-2011
Suspended Account

Default Installed new Vortech V3! - Pictures & Dyno chart

Wanted to share this with you guys...easy install of this Vortech V3 si. Only had to change out the Saleen waterpump underpully to a stock 4.6 pully...Car feels great, idles perfect and pulls nice. 9psi on 93 pump. 36 lb FAST Injectors. Timing at only 13 degrees. Might have gotten more timing, but any more and we got some knock..maybe a poor gas issue..not sure. Dyno shop temps were over 100F here in Atlanta today. This is the SC only with no water-air IC or other mods..car is stock otherwise. I thought the numbers were pretty good considering.

I may go Water cool IC down the road, plus Catless H pipe and 75mm TB. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Thanks. 3.73 gears BTW.

DYNO

Old 08-19-2011
SOEC Member

Not bad numbers considering the air temps.
Old 08-20-2011
Suspended Account

"Not bad numbers considering the air temps"

Thanks ...and may I say after seeing your ride..I am totally in awe! What a superb car you have built! Anyone would be proud to own. Congrats!
Old 08-20-2011
SOEC Member

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 08-21-2011

Very nice...I love the sound of a Vortech!!
2004 S281 #50 - 492 rwhp, 494 rwtq (Sold)
1997 Viper GTS #123 (Sold)
1996 S281 #63 (Sold)
2000 S281 #108 (Sold)
1993 Cobra #2302 (Sold)
Old 08-31-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

awesome install, engine looks great
Old 08-31-2011
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordS281 View Post
awesome install, engine looks great
Thanks for the compliment. In process of installing long tube headers, MAC O/R Pro Chamber, 90mm Lightning MAF and BBK 78mm TB..then back on the dyno for a final tune next week on 93. Also gonna do a Q16 race gas tune for the track. WOOT! More pics soon.

BTW...Can you tellme what mufflers Saleen used? I believe they look like Borla's...Dont look like Magneflows 40's.

Last edited by True Blue 288; 08-31-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2011
Account with Invalid Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue 288 View Post
Thanks for the compliment. In process of installing long tube headers, MAC O/R Pro Chamber, 90mm Lightning MAF and BBK 78mm TB..then back on the dyno for a final tune next week on 93. Also gonna do a Q16 race gas tune for the track. WOOT! More pics soon.

BTW...Can you tellme what mufflers Saleen used? I believe they look like Borla's...Dont look like Magneflows 40's.
Depending on the year they could be stainless borla 99-02 , Or Magnaflow 03-04....I have seen some late production 02 cars with Magnaflow mufflers
Old 09-01-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

what numbers did she show on the factory supercharger?
Old 09-01-2011
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick2001Saleen View Post
what numbers did she show on the factory supercharger?
No SC...she was a factory NA car.
Old 09-02-2011
SOEC Member

very cool! and very similar setup to mine. You didnt by chance dyno at Kurgan's did you? Thats who did mine then he moved his shop down to Atlanta.
4" AFM Powerpipe, 3:90 Rear Gear, Bassani Headers and O/R X-pipe, BFGoodrich KDW's, H&R SS Springs
DynoJet Tune by Modern Muscle, 460rwh/415 torq @12 psi
Old 09-02-2011
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2J View Post
very cool! and very similar setup to mine. You didnt by chance dyno at Kurgan's did you? Thats who did mine then he moved his shop down to Atlanta.
Hey Josh...Thanks. No, went to Atlanta Chassis Dyno in Covington GA. Brad Brand is the owner, and he races 10.5 outlaw Mustangs (google him)...He is a good friend and is super good at gears and builds. I'd bet he knows the good folks at Kurgans, as Brad is reknown in the southest for his work as well.

We are gonna do the MAC O/R Pro Chamber and BBK TB next week. With a stock motor, I think I will stop here. We should dyno out to about 380+rwhp ..in the end...that's enough for a stock 4.6 IMHO. I put 440awhp through a 09 WRX and found out the hard way..That's not a good idea!! LOL.

My fuel pump is stock and injectors are FAST 36lbs...running at 9 psi peak

Last edited by True Blue 288; 09-02-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2011
SOEC Member

ah sweet. yea i am with ya, not doing much more to mine. Thought about doing SC Cams, Meth Injection, Headers, and Pulley and gettin up in the mid 400 range but like you said...thats reallllly pushin it on stock internals. Just gona chill and enjoy the car how it is. If down the road I feel I just gota have more power will probly try and just trade up!
4" AFM Powerpipe, 3:90 Rear Gear, Bassani Headers and O/R X-pipe, BFGoodrich KDW's, H&R SS Springs
DynoJet Tune by Modern Muscle, 460rwh/415 torq @12 psi
Old 10-22-2011
Suspended Account

So, after a few months on the Vortech...I am having some buyers remorse. Not sure its worth the $$ spent for the performance. I knew going in it was not the equal of a KB or twin screw set up..but am a bit dismayed at the lack of giddy up overall. We did a conservative tune in 100 deg heat. Maybe time for a retune with the KBB TB and Mac OR installed after the SC install. OR..maybe its just futile with the 2V heads and I should be happy.. I got such a great deal on the Vortech though...A custom fab turbo was an option..but at significant cost as was the KB...

Perhaps add long tube headers and short mid pipe, tune on E85 with new fuel pump and bigger injects :-) Thoughts appreciated!
Old 10-22-2011

you need to upgrade your throttle body and plenum. im sure you will see anywhere from a 15-20hp gain, since your boosted. N/A maybe 7-10. Also gettin rid of that 2.25 pipe and gettin a nice midpipe, x or h (with an x i think its 1-2 more hp, due to the way the air flows) and with headers you should see 18-20hp.

you gotta remember its safe to push less than 400hp on the stock 2v, though some people push 415-425 with a KB, im sure most of them are show cars, or cars that dont go WOT every weekend/ every drive. its gonna be borrowed time. its also all in the tune, if your on a good tune, you shouldnt worry about the motor blowing.

also i take it you dont even have a front mount intercooler? id get either a front mount intercooler air to air or air to liquid set up for more horsepower, though it is pricey. you could also get the vortech aftercooler which mounts in the engine bay. soon your gonna have to do a fuel pump as well.

the 2V are GREAT motors, plenty of people push high hp out of em, its just how they are built. the cobra terminator seems so badass but remember its got forged internals and a roots blower. all 96-98 cobras 99-01 and 03-04 mach 1's with the 4V's breath great and run in the high rpms, but 450hp for them is borrowed time as well. if you got a good deal on the vortech be happy. you could of run into some issues with the turbo, and that is probably harder on the motor than the vortech. the vortech is much more reliable in my opinion than a custom fab turbo kit, even with a turbo, you still have limits on that motor...
Old 10-23-2011
Suspended Account

Got the BBK 78mm TB and a MAC O/R on there now..but need to retune it. like I mentioned ..it has a conservative tune done just after the V3 install, since the temps were so high that day.

I'm going to look into a FMIC..Iv'e been actaully wanting to do that all along, but now you've got me really wanting to do it. Even an Air-Air IC will make a nice difference I believe.

I pass 2 E85 stations every day..I may get a E85 tune as well. It did wonders on my WRX that made over 440awhp/500awtq.

My tuner says I'm waisting my money on a 2V motor, but I wondered, since they are able to mod and win races ...but there's no denying the 4V Cobra or Mach engines are more capable powerplants...

The turbo is def. out. It is a great option if you can swing the expense..and actually it's much easier on the motor vs a SC... especially a twin screw..which will really shorten the life of an engine.

Long tube headers, FMIC, Walbro 300 or equiv. pump, 60lb injectors on E85 would likely cure my Ills..all on a really good tune. E85 is a torque beast...and high Tq. is what kills stock motors...but, a good tune is your best friend for sure.

Last edited by True Blue 288; 10-23-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-04-2017

Do you still have this car?
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme