The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 12-28-2017
SOEC Member

Default New Owner Questions

I just picked up 89-404 from the original owner is Indiana. This is my first Saleen, but probably my 15th fox body mustang. The car is incredibly original, with 32K miles. I had a few questions for those with more experience with these cars.

First- When I went to look at the car, there was a Ford leather shifter knob on the shifter. The owner had what appears to be the original style knob in the box and he indicated it had never been on the car. When I took the leather knob off and put the NOS shifter knob on, the threads apparently didn't match and of course I cross threaded it. While I didn't mess up all of the threads, I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. The knob came in a box with an allen key labeled AMCO with the number 8346-111. Can anyone advise what I'm dealing with? I have reached out to the original owner to see if he changed anything on the shifter to cause this issue.

The original paint on the car is in amazing condition and the car retains its original pin stripe and stickers.

When I got home with the car, I purchased a new Motorcraft battery for it. I realized that the battery hold down was not in the car. Apparently the original hold down bolt broke and the hold down was in the trunk. When I took the battery out, I noticed two small 2 inch diameter surface rust spots behind where the battery tray was bolted onto the inner fender. Is this a common issue with these cars?

I also noticed that the hand "pump" for the driver's seat has a tear in it near its base rendering it useless. Is this a common issue?

Lastly, when I got the car, there were wheel locks on the wheels. I found some of the original lugs in an envelope (typically where the lock nuts would have been when the car was new) in the trunk. One of the original lugs apparently broke. Are these lugs special in any way? Does anyone know who manufactured them?

Anyway, any guidance or recommended next steps would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on getting some new General GMAX AS03 tires for the car to keep with the originality theme. Has anyone put these tires on their car? Opinions? My buddies think I'm crazy for putting General tires on the car, but I think it would be cool.
Old 12-28-2017
SOEC Member

Congrats on th new addition. I too have had many fox bodies and have a similar 89 to the one you just bought with similar miles but it is not very stock/original at this point. Not real familiar with the shift knob but I am surprised the threads are not the same. I think some of those shift knobs were generic and may have come with a variety of inserts. My guess is that it had the wrong insert in it for your application. Hopefully you can chase the threads either with a tap or dye depending on which end you cross threaded. Rust under battery trays have been an issue with Mustangs since 1965. Sometimes a leaking battery is to blame. Common issue with the hand pump bulb. They pop up on eBay every so often and are not expensive. Personally, I would leave the wheel locks on it. To the best of my knowledge, it is a pretty generic lug nut. Don't know the exact make or model but they were not unique to the wheel like some of the later Saleen wheels. Can't help you on the tires but agree the originality would be cool. Enjoy your new ride.
1998 Saleen Explorer 98-01 Sold
1998 Saleen Explorer 98-22 Sold
1999 Saleen Explorer 99-19 Sold
2000 Saleen Explorer 00-29 Sold
Old 12-29-2017
SOEC Member

Default Thank you! More Questions

Thanks for the information!

I'll keep tinkering with it to get it right. I know I'll have more questions!!!
Old 12-29-2017
SOEC Member

I just remembered another question I had... The coolant overflow tank doesn't have a sensor in it, yet there appears to be a connector for a sensor. The tank just has the factory cap on it. Did these cars not come with a sensor, or did the original owner delete it? Any ideas?