The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Saleen Enthusiast News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Saleen Enthusiast News Enthusiast related news, corporate press releases, major announcements and their discussions.

Old 07-07-2008
Administrator

Default SMS Announces 25th Anniversary Mustang Concept

Automotive Icon Steve Saleen
is celebrating his 25 years in the business
with the introduction of the 720 hp
SMS Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Mustang Concept

Celebrating his twenty-five years in the auto business, Steve Saleen made an anniversary car of his own. While there are no plans to produce this model, it does showcase new technologies and design elements which build on his past successes.

July 6, 2008 - Orange County, California.

Twenty five years focused on performance automobiles takes a great deal of commitment and passion. From his early automotive days spent race-preparing his personal cars, to his inevitable entrance into the professional racing world, and finally into the domain of the automotive business, automotive icon Steve Saleen has done it all. Steve set the course for his automotive future in his first race on August 19th, 1973 at Riverside International Raceway, where he took his Shelby GT350 to the winners' circle, and he never looked back.

Steve Saleen moved up through the amateur and then professional ranks of closed and open-wheel racing during the '70s and '80s, racing and winning against drivers such as Bobby Rahal, Gilles Villeneuve, Danny Sullivan and others. His racing career eventually intertwined with his USC business degree when, in 1983, he formed Saleen Autosport and produced his first vehicle, a 1984 white and blue high performance Saleen Mustang, the first of thousands of vehicles that would eventually be built based on his innovative niche manufacturing, certification and racing business model.

Steve and his vehicles have dominated the competition wherever they raced around the world, having won nine championships, countless races and set track records from Daytona to Le Mans and every track in between. And Steve is still racing, he is currently testing one of the two European Le Mans Series Championship winning S7Rs in preparation for his return to competition in the American Le Mans Series later this year.

For 25 years, Steve Saleen has been the leading pioneer in lifestyle performance automobiles, with his companies building an amazing array of high performance, sports, race and collector cars that are coveted by enthusiasts and celebrities alike from Tim Allen to Tom Cruise. His companies have created everything from the world's fastest production Mustang, the S302 Extreme, to the Saleen S7 and S7R the most victorious supercar-based racing vehicle ever, bar none, with 171 Top Tens, 118 Podiums, 84 Pole Positions, 76 Fastest Laps, 72 Wins and 9 GT Championships. Amazing cars are not the only thing associated with Steve Saleen's name and ingenuity, his companies are also credited with an impressive array of patented automotive technological innovations.

As an entrepreneur, his endeavors encompass more than simply delivering the performance hardware. In 2006 he was the driving force behind the opening of his company's first automotive retail experience. With as much visual impact and excitement as one of his supercars, Maxim Magazine awarded it "Best Automotive Retail Store."

To celebrate his illustrious automotive career, Steve Saleen and his new company SMS have developed a truly innovative and exceptional celebratory vehicle -- the 2008 SMS Twenty Fifth Anniversary Mustang Concept. To find out more about the 720 hp SMS concept car, we talked to its creator, Mr. Steve Saleen.

Comments by Steve Saleen, Chairman and CEO of SMS

"In celebration of my 25 years in the niche manufacturing business I wanted to create a personal car for myself that appropriately marks this very special Anniversary. The functional aesthetic innovations that we have developed are truly exceptional in every way. Though this car is not going to be for sale, it nevertheless demonstrates the technological advances present at SMS."

"With the SSC, SA-10, SA-15 and SA-20, I used those platforms to introduce new technology to the automotive market. In keeping with that tradition, this concept car incorporates many important advances developed by SMS. In particular our patented SMS Red Butterfly(TM)Induction System and SMS Light Blade(TM) LED Taillight System are definitely the coolest things that any Anniversary car has ever had! When those butterflies crack open under throttle, people stop and stare, you can be sure you will see those on our future products. And when you are passed by this car and the full width sequential turn signals come on, you will be just as awestruck!"

"Along with the main features, the supporting cast of innovation developed by SMS is just as deep, including; SMS Side Splitters and Diffuser Fences in carbon fiber, SMS billet aluminum signature elements, a beautiful SMS two-tone leather interior and the unique SMS "Chromosome Silver" paint with the signature anniversary yellow, white and black graphic accents.

"My Anniversary cars were always the most powerful of the breed and this car continues that tradition, as this engine produces 720 Horsepower at the crank and 612 Horsepower at the rear wheels! And the exhaust note truly is something else. Topped with 670 ft-lbs of Torque it is quite a steed to tame, thus it is equipped with SMS Cross-Drilled 15-inch 6-Piston front brakes and a completely new SMS Billet Aluminum Watts Link System that is robust, durable and attractive."

"The performance is astounding; the SMS Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Mustang has reached nearly the same levels of performance as was previously achieved in the S7 Twin Turbo! It is not everyday that the word Supercar is associated with a Mustang, but in this case it is appropriate. The team and I are very excited about the vehicle as it incorporates an entirely new platform of technological advances by SMS, and it is a testament to what our company is capable of. We look forward to it touring the show circuit this summer to show that we are in the business of power!"

"I look forward to the next twenty five years!"

Source: SMS Limited/smslimitedusa.com

Last edited by Saleen Forums News; 07-11-2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Additional photography and captions added
Old 07-07-2008
SOEC Member

I saw this on another car site. I wonder how Saleen Inc feels about it? Any idea the price?
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #384
1989 Saleen Hatchback #302
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350

Last edited by tonylop33; 04-19-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2008
Administrator

I would imagine that Saleen Inc. is gearing-up to meet or beat the new standard. Competition keeps good things coming for us.

Certainly these SMS cars will be in limited availability, and they'll likely be pretty pricey if history repeats itself.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 07-07-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
I would imagine that Saleen Inc. is gearing-up to meet or beat the new standard. Competition keeps good things coming for us.

Certainly these SMS cars will be in limited availability, and they'll likely be pretty pricey if history repeats itself.
This is head to head war with Saleen inc. Notice the side decals on the doors, it is the same as the present Saleens.

I would think this car will cost at least $90k.
Old 07-07-2008
Administrator

Sounds like the SMS vehicle has a few neat features. Tail lights sound cool. I wonder if they look like these?

Not a bad one-off car to show what they're doing over there.

Saleen S281 Mustang: design story
Old 07-07-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen Forums News View Post
"In celebration of my 25 years in the niche manufacturing business I wanted to create a personal car for myself that appropriately marks this very special Anniversary. The functional aesthetic innovations that we have developed are truly exceptional in every way. Though this car is not going to be for sale, it nevertheless demonstrates the technological advances present at SMS."
Maybe this will only be Steve's personal car?
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 07-07-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylop33 View Post
Good observation... I read that so quickly in-between projects at work I wasn't making that conclusion.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 07-07-2008
Administrator

The butterflies might be too over-the-top for my tastes. Kinda like a Hot Rod/ Top Fuel car meets high end performace car.

Besides... it might inhale small dogs and children.

So... is the Lizstick '05 forsale?
Old 07-08-2008

I am not sure if he can actually produce this car... I am not a lawyer but I am sure there is legality issues with copying the design of the car from Saleen Inc.
Old 07-08-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

C'mon... you have got to be freakin' kidding.. this looks dead on like a Saleen... if he produces this he should be sued.
88-#249
TPS Motorsports
TPSMotorsports.com
521 Charcot Ave Suite #199
San Jose, CA 95131
408/898-4632
Old 07-08-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen Forums News View Post

Comments by Steve Saleen, Chairman and CEO of SMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas View Post
I am not sure if he can actually produce this car... I am not a lawyer but I am sure there is legality issues with copying the design of the car from Saleen Inc.
Quote:
I think that as long as the this is his personal 25th anniversary tribute and showcase for SMS customization he does not have to worry. It is not for sale. I would think this equates to someone customizing their personal car or making a clone Saleen with additional touches. It probably started life as one of his or his families personal cars. Then again I am not a lawyer either, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before.
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 07-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPSMak View Post
C'mon... you have got to be freakin' kidding.. this looks dead on like a Saleen... if he produces this he should be sued.
i like it better then the racecraft, last time i checked, steve's last name was still saleen, and i do believe that all of the parts as far as the side panels, front air dam, and rear spoiler can be puchased retail? kinda gives him a starting point and it does say Not For Sale. It shouldn't take much to tweak these items so that they are his again. I would really like to see a shot of the powerplant though and see some more specs....
Old 07-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebna View Post
i like it better then the racecraft, last time i checked, steve's last name was still saleen, and i do believe that all of the parts as far as the side panels, front air dam, and rear spoiler can be puchased retail? kinda gives him a starting point and it does say Not For Sale. It shouldn't take much to tweak these items so that they are his again. I would really like to see a shot of the powerplant though and see some more specs....
C'mon.. SMS should do something on their own and NOT just take some panels from Saleen and call it the 25th edition. I personally believe this makes Steve look pretty stupid
88-#249
TPS Motorsports
TPSMotorsports.com
San Jose, CA 95131
408/898-4632
Old 07-08-2008
Administrator

To the skeptics...

It appears to me that other readers are confused, like I was, with the term "concept."
"The functional aesthetic innovations that we have developed are truly exceptional in every way. Though this car is not going to be for sale, it nevertheless demonstrates the technological advances present at SMS."
I am now better understanding this as Steve's way to introduce and test technologies and features which may be carried over to possible future models or in the aftermarket.

That it looks a lot like the car he designed with Phil Frank at Saleen Inc., he's made it better.

I think it's pretty cool to have a peek at the future.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 07-08-2008

Quote:
C'mon.. SMS should do something on their own and NOT just take some panels from Saleen and call it the 25th edition. I personally believe this makes Steve look pretty stupid
i believe to give the man credit he just did something an it would seem that he probably has a reason for everthing he does, maybe marcus mccammon will show us the new 09's an 10's with some kind of a new upgrade rather than using the same saleen parts for 4 years in a row...do poeple really think steve would show a car with any extreme body changes to the public before he could coprywrite or patent it? i really don't think so. If history is deemed to repeat itself then ford will probably do some changes to the body and everyone will be playing catch-up again soon anyways.
Old 07-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
To the skeptics...

It appears to me that other readers are confused, like I was, with the term "concept."
"The functional aesthetic innovations that we have developed are truly exceptional in every way. Though this car is not going to be for sale, it nevertheless demonstrates the technological advances present at SMS."
I am now better understanding this as Steve's way to introduce and test technologies and features which may be carried over to possible future models or in the aftermarket.

That it looks a lot like the car he designed with Phil Frank at Saleen Inc., he's made it better.

I think it's pretty cool to have a peek at the future.
kudos jim d
Old 07-08-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
If these were or become "for sale" I would agree with you. If it is a one-off and remains that way I think he can celebrate 25 years of Saleen designed Mustangs by making a tricked out car for himself incorporating everything he would want (style, power plant, trick taillights, etc). Why not make the ultimate Saleen/SMS Mustang for himself. Sure he is going to build Challengers, Camaros, and probably others, but he did begin with Mustangs (both racing and customizing) so why not celebrate it it a car he wants for himself?

I don't see it as making him look "stupid" for making the personal car he wants. I wish I could afford to do the ultimate Mustang according to me. Now if he tries to market this car then I question why he can't create something new to differentiate SMS from Saleen.

If I can make it to your open house we can debate it over the hood of Saleen.
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 07-08-2008
Suspended Account

How many concept cars has Ford, GM, Pontiac etc produced that have actually made it to production? Concept cars are merely a platform to install all the go fast goodies to showcase what the company has or is currently working on. I think this is awesome of Steve to do this and for his new company to stretch its legs and think outside the box and show the public what his new company is all about. Go SMS!!
Old 07-08-2008
Saleen Staff Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebna View Post
As far as the engine goes it is the 302 crate engine from Techco, with cnc ported heads, cams, springs, forged internals (all US made), cnc ported Supercharger manifold & upper inlet, cnc ported throttle body, and the new techco cold air tube and 100mm mass air. It pulls hard to over 7000
The hood scoop and butterflys function with throttle and feed the cold air box.
BT
Old 07-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1 View Post
As far as the engine goes it is the 302 crate engine from Techco, with cnc ported heads, cams, springs, forged internals (all US made), cnc ported Supercharger manifold & upper inlet, cnc ported throttle body, and the new techco cold air tube and 100mm mass air. It pulls hard to over 7000
The hood scoop and butterflys function with throttle and feed the cold air box.
BT
Very frikken awesome! thx BT, you guys put the ADD into adrenalin rush thats for sure!
mike
Old 07-08-2008

Does SMS1 = Billy Tally?

I hope you guys incorporate this technology into a new body design on the 2010 Mustang.
Old 07-08-2008
Saleen Staff Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas View Post
Does SMS1 = Billy Tally?

I hope you guys incorporate this technology into a new body design on the 2010 Mustang.
SMS1 = BT
sounds close,, I think you will be quite surprised at the new tech that starts coming out,
Old 07-08-2008
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen104 View Post
Concept cars are merely a platform to install all the go fast goodies to showcase what the company has or is currently working on. I think this is awesome of Steve to do this and for his new company to stretch its legs and think outside the box and show the public what his new company is all about.
What are they showcasing and where is this outside the box thinking? A hood and a windshield decal? Everything else is straight out of the parts bin.
Old 07-08-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Saleen3V179 View Post
What are they showcasing and where is this outside the box thinking? A hood and a windshield decal? Everything else is straight out of the parts bin.
I'm not sure you read what SMS1 was saying.

While at a glance it looks like an Extreme with a hood and a decal, don't think of it so much as new leaps in styling.

It's what you can't see in the picture that sets new standards in terms of performance. The center hood scoop and butterflies are an innovative intake system providing cold air to a 720 horsepower 302.

If it helps you, look at this as a test mule... don't look at it cosmetically, but look at it in terms of performance, engineering and subtle styling cues.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 07-08-2008
Saleen Staff Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Saleen3V179 View Post
There are many items that are not "right out of the parts bin" this car was done for Steve as his own 25th annv edition, while it has many Saleen under pinnings,(why change a great thing) these items have been taken to the next level, not unlike what a Saleen is to a mustang, the SMS 25 is to the Saleen.
The LED tech is new, CNC heads, manifold port design, inlet tube design, 100 mm mass air and cold air tube, and the butterfly induction to the cold air box, Billet Watts link (cover, arms, pivot,all billet, new geometry and bearing and bushing design, with all mounts now mounted in double shear) are all new items, as far as the rest it is styling and cosmetic, from the new hood with the billet vents, & butterflys, Carbon side splitters on the rockers, new rear diffuser carbon side panels,to the 1/4 windows with the billet butterflys.
Old 07-08-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1 View Post
There are many items that are not "right out of the parts bin" this car was done for Steve as his own 25th annv edition, while it has many Saleen under pinnings,(why change a great thing) these items have been taken to the next level, not unlike what a Saleen is to a mustang, the SMS 25 is to the Saleen.
The LED tech is new, CNC heads, manifold port design, inlet tube design, 100 mm mass air and cold air tube, and the butterfly induction to the cold air box, Billet Watts link (cover, arms, pivot,all billet, new geometry and bearing and bushing design, with all mounts now mounted in double shear) are all new items, as far as the rest it is styling and cosmetic, from the new hood with the billet vents, & butterflys, Carbon side splitters on the rockers, new rear diffuser carbon side panels,to the 1/4 windows with the billet butterflys.

Say that again all in one breath!

She sounds great -- I can tell you're proud of her -- can't wait to see her in person!

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 07-08-2008
Suspended Account

Here are some pics of the car. SMS....nice job, looks great.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/08/steve-saleen-celebrates-25-years-with-720-horsepower-anniversary/
Old 07-08-2008

Quote:
If these were or become "for sale" I would agree with you. If it is a one-off and remains that way I think he can celebrate 25 years of Saleen designed Mustangs by making a tricked out car for himself incorporating everything he would want (style, power plant, trick taillights, etc). Why not make the ultimate Saleen/SMS Mustang for himself. Sure he is going to build Challengers, Camaros, and probably others, but he did begin with Mustangs (both racing and customizing) so why not celebrate it it a car he wants for himself?

I don't see it as making him look "stupid" for making the personal car he wants. I wish I could afford to do the ultimate Mustang according to me. Now if he tries to market this car then I question why he can't create something new to differentiate SMS from Saleen.

If I can make it to your open house we can debate it over the hood of Saleen.
hahaha... true... if he is just doing a one off it should be fine.. I was under the impression he was producing these.

BTW, are you coming out to the show?
88-#249
TPS Motorsports
TPSMotorsports.com
San Jose, CA 95131
408/898-4632
Old 07-08-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
hahaha... true... if he is just doing a one off it should be fine.. I was under the impression he was producing these.

BTW, are you coming out to the show?
Hope to, but depends on how my ill dad is doing.
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 07-08-2008

Quote:
Hope to, but depends on how my ill dad is doing.
Take care of your dad and give me my best wishes
88-#249
TPS Motorsports
TPSMotorsports.com
San Jose, CA 95131
408/898-4632
Old 07-08-2008

will someone pls tell steve saleen thx for showing us his personal anniversary gift from sms, and i would like to know what the show schedule will be for the car coming up this or next year? Again thx for the info sms1.
mike
Old 07-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The butterflies might be too over-the-top for my tastes. Kinda like a Hot Rod/ Top Fuel car meets high end performace car.

Besides... it might inhale small dogs and children.

So... is the Lizstick '05 forsale?
the ones on my bike have been known to do some damage.....i like a good butterfly on a CAI myself

Old 07-09-2008
SOEC Member

Jim,

Can you find out which parts will be available for my car. I really like the rear LED lights

Thanks
Ben
(6/2005) Purchased 05 Saleen #1004 Windveil Blue from Galpin (9/2006) 14" Saleen Brakes, (7/2007) 475hp Supercharger, Guages, Watts Link Suspension, (10/2007) Rear Slotted Rotors, (2/2008) 19" TSW Wheels (Hypersilver), (1/2009) Super Shaker. (4/2012) Back to 20" Saleen Wheels

(10/2007 Morning) 414 RWHP 403 RWTQ w/ Stock Saleen SC Tune w/o Super Shaker (Sold 2/11/2018)

01 Saleen #629 (NA) True Blue (Sold 6/15/07)

SOEC#2092
SOEC#2129

Quick Video http://youtu.be/gkiCgwzJTFE
Old 07-09-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypinoy View Post
Jim,

Can you find out which parts will be available for my car. I really like the rear LED lights

Thanks
Ben
Those are pretty cool.

But you'd better check with your wife first, before you start a new shopping list!

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 07-31-2008
Administrator

Is anyone here a member on South Florida Mustangs?

If you are, you might want to post a correction to this thread:

http://www.southfloridastangs.net/sf...ad.php?t=34137

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 07-31-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypinoy View Post
Jim,

Thanks
Ben
Sorry, Ben, but the LED light treatment isn't offered yet... I have seen it in person and it looks pretty trick!

However, Techco -- who is licensing many of the designs from the SMS car -- does have a couple of versions of the red butterfly ram air hood, the quarter panels, the billet Watts Link and the engine components available on their website at techcointl.com.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 08-13-2008
Administrator

So... how many body parts will I have to sell for an upcoming SMS Mustang? Or do I keep hope alive for a mint SSC... Which Greg told me I didn't want. Or a used custom paint late-model 281.

What to do... what to do...
Old 08-31-2008
Administrator

Default Steve Saleen and his 2008 SMS Mustang

From Mustangs Northwest.

Last edited by Saleen Forums Admin; 08-31-2008 at 03:43 AM.