The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2014 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2014 Saleen Mustang For the SN10 platform California-built 2010 SMS 460 and 460X, the 2011-12 SMS 302, and 2013-14 Saleen 4V, SC, SSC and 351.
All Label cars (White Yellow, Black). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 12-14-2008
SOEC Member

Default Announcing the 2010 SMS 460 Mustang

I found this while surfing the web.

Dec 14, 2008 - Orange County, California. Steve Saleen announced today that he and his new company SMS (Steve’s initials) will design, engineer, certify and manufacture an all-new family of ultra-high performance Mustangs. Steve’s 25 year legacy with the Mustang will continue into the next quarter century with the launch of his 2010 Signature Series SMS 460 Mustangs.

Steve Saleen with his 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th and 25th Anniversary Mustangs
Photo Credit: Brad Bowling
The introduction of the SMS 460 Mustangs keeps Steve Saleen in the saddle with the model that made him famous as a manufacturer of high performance sports cars. Since leaving his former company, Saleen, Inc., Steve has entered exciting new territory with SMS. The first products to wear the new badge - the SMS 570 Challenger and SMS 570X Challenger, will begin shipping in late January.

“After 25 years of rich Mustang heritage, I am excited to begin work on the 2010 model” explains Steve. “Ford has hit the spot with the excellent new Mustang package and has provided me with an outstanding starting point. “The SMS 460 Mustangs will be truly world class performance vehicles and they will be available though the entire Ford dealer network!”

Hinting at the character of his latest creation, Steve says, “We are carrying over a host of performance features and innovations from my SMS Twenty Fifth Anniversary model, which is a stunning performer and an aesthetic beauty!”

The fully-certified and street-legal SMS 460 Mustangs are based on the exciting 2010 Mustang GT platform and will feature an SMS Supercharged 4.6L engine with power ratings from 475 to over 650 horsepower! Both models will feature extensive design refinements and performance innovations, including the patented SMS Red Butterfly Induction hood and a full compliment of SMS ultra-high performance components. Look for all-new and upgraded drivetrain, suspension, aerodynamics, tires, wheels and interior.

“The 2010 Mustang already has an exciting and sculptural exterior, as well as new, up-scale interior,” notes Phil Frank, SMS Chief Creative Officer. “The SMS 460 Mustangs will evolve our design DNA in a more aggressive and aerodynamic direction.”

Each of these limited edition vehicles will be hand signed by Steve Saleen as part of the SMS Signature Series product line, complete with unique badges and graphics. Annual production volume will be restricted, adding to the exclusivity of ownership. Contracts are issued on a first-come first-served basis and deposits are now being accepted for early production numbers scheduled for build in the second quarter of 2009.

Interested customers can contact SMS Supercars directly by calling (714) 400-2121 or by logging onto to www.smssupercars.com.

2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #384
1989 Saleen Hatchback #302
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350

Last edited by Dave; 01-17-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Reformated Images & Text
Old 12-14-2008
Administrator

Yep. Jim called today about this. He didn't know what to do.

Since you made the post, no one can say we're pushing or advertising SMS cars here, just basic automotive news. No spankings for SOEC.
Old 12-14-2008
SOEC Member

I figure most Saleen owners and enthusiast have at least a passing interest in what Steve Saleen is up to.
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 12-14-2008
Administrator

Oh, I/we agree.
Old 12-14-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I think we should support Steve in his new venture, because if it was not for him,his hard work, sheer will, and the hard work of so many others that he brought to Saleen Autosport none of us would have ever enjoyed a Saleen vehicle to begin with, I support Steve 100%!
Old 12-14-2008
Administrator

Oh, correct. We just rather not see or want any meltdowns, like the Open House invite to Techno that took place the day before Saleen Fest 2008.

I think Chris Theodore understands and/or respects the enthusiasts view and this was temporarily misplaced with, say, show organizer Jon.

Looking forward to the future and may both SMS SuperCars and Saleen, Inc have great successes!
Old 12-14-2008
SOEC Member

My perfect combo would be an SMS supercharger (in the shaker) for my PJ. Best of both worlds.
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 12-14-2008

Well if Jim got the info, it should be posted....

I mean this is the "Saleen" Owners and Enthusiasts Club and we should be supporting Steve "Saleen" with his new venture. Why can't the club support not only Saleen Inc but also the one person that has always been supporting our club from the start? It seems like to me that our club is still trying to hide from Saleen Inc our support of Steve and his new company and there is no reason for that IMO.

I think we need to be the #1 source for anything "Saleen".... If its from Saleen Inc or SMS, if we have news then it should be posted!

SOEC Member and Supporter
Old 12-14-2008
Account with Invalid Email

+1 I total agree...
Old 12-14-2008
Suspended Account

Congrats go out to Steve and SMS, wish you the very best with the new company.

Jorge Lopez
Old 12-14-2008
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default sms # 1

I own the 2005 glass top # 1. Wonder how you can get SMS # 1
Old 12-14-2008
SOEC Member

I bet if you call them up and put your money down they would consider sell you the first.
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 12-14-2008
SOEC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by awayne View Post
Well if Jim got the info, it should be posted....

I mean this is the "Saleen" Owners and Enthusiasts Club and we should be supporting Steve "Saleen" with his new venture. Why can't the club support not only Saleen Inc but also the one person that has always been supporting our club from the start? It seems like to me that our club is still trying to hide from Saleen Inc our support of Steve and his new company and there is no reason for that IMO.

I think we need to be the #1 source for anything "Saleen".... If its from Saleen Inc or SMS, if we have news then it should be posted!
+1 Me too......
(6/2005) Purchased 05 Saleen #1004 Windveil Blue from Galpin (9/2006) 14" Saleen Brakes, (7/2007) 475hp Supercharger, Guages, Watts Link Suspension, (10/2007) Rear Slotted Rotors, (2/2008) 19" TSW Wheels (Hypersilver), (1/2009) Super Shaker. (4/2012) Back to 20" Saleen Wheels

(10/2007 Morning) 414 RWHP 403 RWTQ w/ Stock Saleen SC Tune w/o Super Shaker (Sold 2/11/2018)

01 Saleen #629 (NA) True Blue (Sold 6/15/07)

SOEC#2092
SOEC#2129

Quick Video http://youtu.be/gkiCgwzJTFE
Old 12-14-2008
SOEC Member

Default To saleen or not saleen....

To Saleen or not to Saleen.... that is the SMS question....

All kidding aside I think anything that is performance related is fair game on these forums.

I think it is in everyones best interest to keep communication flowing freely and positive.

Right now in this economy ANY good news is GREAT news... and news about performance specialty cars being produced is on the top of the "GREAT News" list for me....
Old 12-14-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen proto type # 1 View Post
I own the 2005 glass top # 1. Wonder how you can get SMS # 1
Tim (85conv) mentioned he wants dibs on the first convertible during Atco... I think. Or, he at least mentioned it to me.

Quote:
Well if Jim got the info, it should be posted...
Oh, I agree. We were waiting for Greg to chime-in and give his thoughts. It was just Greg and Tony happened at nearly the same time... and I was getting situated after a shopping excursion, so the photo editing was delayed.

Jim has walked a tightrope for many months concerning these motions and expectations. For various reasons.

I'm pretty sure, none of us have received an after hours, personal phone call, questioning the actions, motives and purpose of the club, forums, and site... it might be difficult to view a reason why one would enter with some caution and thought before acting.

Quote:
I think we need to be the #1 source for anything "Saleen"
I agree, though there was a time when it was believed the plug could be pulled. Whether real, imagined, or a little of both... is beyond me or what I do here.
Old 12-15-2008
Administrator

I was incredibly excited to hear of this announcement this morning, though as Dave mentioned, I was certainly quandary knowing good friends at Saleen Inc. wouldn't find the news all that welcoming.

We are, after all, owners and enthusiasts of the Saleen brand -- but anything that Steve is involved in interests us for obvious reasons.

Steve and Phil are a great design team, and I know Phil's imagination has been working on ideas for a long time, as I believe he's seen earlier versions of the new Mustang as far back as early 2007.

At the 2010 Mustang unveiling in November, I watched as he examined the latest iteration of the new Ford, and it was clear he was up for the challenge to make it distinctly SMS.

Here, he discusses front lines with an enthusiast, and shortly after I asked him what the thought. With a confident smile, he said "we'll fix it."
Attached Images

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 12-15-2008

Jim, I fully understand your have such a great relationship with a few people at Saleen but like I stated above this is the SOEC not SIOEC (Saleen Inc Owners and Enthusiasts Club) and I think of SMS as a "Saleen" brand since Steve is behind it. If we are going to be watching what we talk about or promote, maybe we need to change the club name to SIOEC.?.?.?

Now, the SMS Mustang is NOT a "Saleen" Mustang I feel as many others do aswell that we should be promoting Steve and what he has upcoming just as much as anything related to the Saleen Inc brand. Sure, Saleen Inc i'm sure is not happy with what is happening over on the west coast with SMS but its business and today it is hard for any company in this market to make a go of it which is even more reason we all need to be supporting BOTH companies and not just giving all of our attention to ONE brand.

SOEC Member and Supporter
Old 12-15-2008
SOEC Member

Hey Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylop33 View Post
My perfect combo would be an SMS supercharger (in the shaker) for my PJ. Best of both worlds.
I'm with you on this one would be great on my 2 PJ's as well.
My RHD conversion on #46 is almost complete will put a couple of photos up.

Tony Day
South Australia
2008 Extreme S302E #02 RHD Saleen Demo/Press
Parnelli Jones #45 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #46 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #407 Super Shaker RHD (SOLD)
'06 GT Coupe "Saleen Racer" RHD
1970 GT-HO Falcon Phase 2 Owned since new
1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
1965 TBird Conv. 429SCJ Drag Pak 4 speed
Old 12-15-2008
Suspended Account

As for my hat in the ring, I support both Steve Saleen for being the visionary and Saleen Inc. for helping to carry that vision forward for some time (and let us not forget to consider Ford for building the platform ).

Being one who appreciates a free market, my continued support in the future will go to those who reciprocate - as loyalty is a two-way street.
Old 12-15-2008

All that I can say is more choices in American Super-cars is a good thing!
Especially for the workers at Ford.

Eric
Old 12-15-2008

Maybe we will end up with a 2010 Saleen Mustang after all
Old 12-15-2008
Administrator

Quote:
...like I stated above this is the SOEC not SIOEC (Saleen Inc Owners and Enthusiasts Club) and I think of SMS as a "Saleen" brand since Steve is behind it. If we are going to be watching what we talk about or promote, maybe we need to change the club name to SIOEC.?.?.?
Right, but from my understandings, if we go back to the Techo Open House and Saleen Fest 2008, the same idea was driven the other way. The "Saleen" in SOEC was the point of debate. Really, it nearly matches the above statement.

It's water under the bridge now, but it's not as cut-and-dry as you're making it.

I think this will help to illustrate the changes SOEC went through.
Old 12-15-2008

Maybe SMS will have better customer service than Saleen... It's doubtful that I'll ever consider buying a new Saleen, unless they get bought by someone who is serious about pleasing their customers.

I say good for Steve! I love my PJ, but Saleen Inc has problems...

JB
Old 12-15-2008

Not dissimilar changes and controversies occured with SAAC and svtoa with Carrol S's relationship updates with Ford and the tangent affects on the enthusiast clubs. I trust soec can stretch and pull without getting hard edged. Individuals may occupy any point on the spectrum and I appreciate all points whether hard edged or accommodating. The club should hold them all, big tent style. Any one club is barely adequate in it's momentum and should not be afraid of more members, ideas and links to other auto enthusiasts as long as it's clear to it's charter and principles. I hear this tone in the above posts and it's good, drive on.
Old 12-15-2008

It's always great to have more companies in the mix. The more competition the better the products will be :)
88-#249
TPS Motorsports
TPSMotorsports.com
521 Charcot Ave Suite #199
San Jose, CA 95131
408/898-4632
Old 12-16-2008
Suspended Account

This is very exciting news!

Certainly we all love the Saleen brand that we have followed for the past 25 years, and we hope to continue to follow in the future.

But the benefit for all of us is Steve's new independence and creativity will certainly set the bar up another notch -- something that is good for all of us as Roush and Saleen Inc. and Shelby try keep ahead of their new competition.

As it seems that the SMS brand may offer a little more exclusivity, it should still leave plenty of room in the field for everyone to be successful.
Old 12-19-2008
Administrator

Molly asked me to tell you guys, "If you know anyone that is interested, tell them I am taking pre-order deposits and they can contact me directly!!"

You could look at it as a unique chance to be the first on the block to add a Mustang to your stable with the 25-year-old young woman who was only a glimmer in the eye of her father the first time around!

PM me with your contact info and I'll relay the message.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 01-19-2009
SOEC Member

Based on what the Challenger looks like, the Mustang should be quite the car!
Old 01-22-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Good luck SMS. Keep the Mustangs rollin
Old 02-05-2009

It will be interesting to see which mustang will have more of the "Saleen" family resemblance that we are all use too.....between the Saleen's 2010 mustang and Phil Frank's SMS 460 design. I hope the new buyers of the Saleen brand will keep the tradition alive and not be like the previous owners. Good luck to Steve....the SMS 570 looks freakin awesome.
Old 04-16-2010

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/16/s...1-302-mustang/

here we go NICE NICE NICE
Old 04-17-2010

That is a BEAUTIFUL CAR! It's BY FAR THE BEST looking 2010 and up Mustang. Congrats Steve and SMS!
88-#249
TPS Motorsports
TPSMotorsports.com
521 Charcot Ave Suite #199
San Jose, CA 95131
408/898-4632