The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-24-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: Building 1986 Saleen clone?

Hello, I am in the process of a restoration of a 86 GT T-tops. I decided I love the look of the Saleen and wondering what was the differences. I have come up with the skirts all around with the decals, the rear spoiler, steering wheel & shifter. I also see that the side moldings do not have GT, no hood sticker as well. I see 170 speedo, and Saleen badging. I am not worried about the suspension.

Can I install the front skirt with the fog light GT nose? Is the Saleen rear spoiler the same in 86 as the ones up to 93? What is an equivalent Momo steering wheel? I want to put 16" mesh wheels as well, what is recommended? Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2207.jpg  

Old 10-24-2015
Administrator

The 1985 and 1986 conversions were pretty basic when compared to later cars.

Saleen did convert a small number of factory GT models. So, you can keep your side trim and hood stripe if you wish. It appears some retained the GT stripe, while others lost it.

The Saleen rear hatch wing will be you most challenging find. The 1986 spec wing is not a common item to stumble on.

For the look, any mesh wheel will do the job. If you want to be correct, a set of 4-lug 16"x7" Riken or 16"x7" Enkei should be on your list. If you want a period mod wheel and 5-lugs, find a set of 16" 5-spoke Ronal R9s.

Then buy a set of lowering springs and classic Koni orange struts/shocks.

A Momo MonteCarlo 350mm is the closest currently stocked steering wheel.

If you want, purchase a clear GTS headlight cover kit and call it a day.
Old 10-24-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

Sounds good. How big is the difference in 86 to newer Saleen wings? I think I am going to do without the GT accents. Also prob stay 4 lug.
Old 10-24-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMatt50 View Post
Sounds good. How big is the difference in 86 to newer Saleen wings? I think I am going to do without the GT accents. Also prob stay 4 lug.
Enough of a difference that a newer wing will kill the period replica vibe.
Old 10-24-2015
Saleen Forums Registrant

I see the difference. I think I am in for a tough find. Maybe someone will reproduce this...
Old 11-20-2015
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMatt50 View Post
The biggest difference is that the 3rd brake light is not molded into the wing. It was a separate Ford Accessory that was modified slightly and mounted on the hatch under the wing. My car came with the 87+ wing when I purchased it. It took me a couple years to find the correct 86 wing and 3rd brake light for my car.
Old 12-01-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I'd say the sides of the 85/86 Saleen wing are what make it stand out from the aero equivalent. I've seen a lot of Saleen parts come up for sale since I got my 85, but I have yet to find one 85/86 Saleen wing for sale. Personally I think those should go to real Saleens and the repop wing is fine for a clone, but that's just because I know how hard some of these parts are to find and they seem wasted on anything that isn't real...but money talks.