The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-12-2015
Account with Invalid Email

Default Q: Tune necessary with mid-pipe swap?

I have an 06 supercharged saleen convert that is bone stock. If I change the mid pipe to a high flow chatted pipe, do I have to get a tune? I have the stock magnaflows . How much louder will it really get?
Old 06-13-2015
SOEC Member

You'll likely get a Check engine light with high flow cats. A tune will turn off the rear O2 sensors or you can try mil eliminators but they don't always work. I had the high flow cats with the stock Magnaflows. It was definitely be louder.
Old 06-13-2015
SOEC Member

I have never had to retune with high flow cats. Only need tune of you remove cats.
Old 06-13-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

You do NOT need a re-tune for high-flow cats, nor without cats either.. If you remove the cats altogether, you just have your rear 02 sensors turned off by whomever you purchased your hand held programmer and custom tunes from, or install a pair of MIL eliminators..

You only have to get a re-tune, if you upgrade to long tube headers !
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 06-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbar View Post
You'll likely get a Check engine light with high flow cats. A tune will turn off the rear O2 sensors or you can try mil eliminators but they don't always work. I had the high flow cats with the stock Magnaflows. It was definitely be louder.
You will not get a check engine light with running high-flow cats, as they operate in the same manner as stock cats, but are less restrictive and you don't need to have your rear 02 sensors turned off either..

I ran a high-flow catted Mac Prochamber and never got any check engine lights nor emission lights whatsoever !
Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Borla ATAK mufflers - Pypes cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires 275/40/18" square - GT500 strut mounts - Hurst short throw shifter - CFM billet oil cap breather - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Eibach camber bolts - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Koni adj sport struts/shocks - BMR poly adj panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm stock airbox - Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune.
Old 06-13-2015
SOEC Member

A mid-pipe with high flow cats does not require a re-tune. I have a JDM tune. I replaced the mid-pipe with a JBA catted X. No check engine codes and the sound got a little better. Then I put on BBK ceramic shorties. Again no re-tune required and no check engine lights; but the sound got MUCH better. Deeper tone at idle, and much better sound overall. You can get louder and deeper tone with long tube headers or an off-road, no-cat mid-pipe; but as others have posted, it will most likely require a re-tune. You may also lose some boost with long tubes. Also, keep in mind you will probably get some drone if you go cat-less. I have zero drone with my set-up.

06-115 / S281 3V / SuperShaker / AirLift / Zenetti Baron forged / JDM / 3M Liquid Copper Wrap

Last edited by sidvicious; 06-13-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2015
Account with Invalid Email

Default Concensus

My thoughts are to either go with a catted prochamber or a magnaflow catted h pipe

Which is deeper and louder?
Old 06-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03sc281 View Post
My thoughts are to either go with a catted prochamber or a magnaflow catted h pipe

Which is deeper and louder?
Unless you can find a used catted prochamber ? You'll more than likely have to settle for a magnaflow catted h pipe..

Mac discontinued production of their catted ProChamber quite a few years ago and only offer their off road version without cats