The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Saleen Enthusiast News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Saleen Enthusiast News Enthusiast related news, corporate press releases, major announcements and their discussions.

Old 05-09-2009
Administrator

Default 2010 Saleen "Working Image" Leaked

2010 Saleen S-Series "Working Image" Leaked

By SOEC/Saleen Forums News -- May 8, 2009 -- Irvine, California

Earlier this week there were several sightings of a "2010 Saleen" image circulating the Internet and it has since been confirmed by more than one source at Saleen as being a working image of a 2010 Saleen and leaked by "one of our temps," said a Saleen insider.

The image, displayed above, is said to have several characteristics of the final vehicle design, though it was an early working image and was not supposed to become public. While clearly a "Photoshop" depicting a sculpted Saleen with the Fabulous Forum arena of Los Angeles in the background, it is said to give good insight on the new model.

Conversations with Saleen insiders indicate the 2010 S-series will include an S281 model, though a 302 model has not yet been divulged. Initially it was thought it might be until 2011 for the next S-series, but it seems they are moving forward ahead of schedule.

The leaked image is putting to rest rumors that the Saleen brand would die after Hancock Park Associates sold the majority of Saleen assets to MJ Acquisitions earlier this year. But Mike Shields of MJ/Saleen has told SOEC that he and his partner and brother Joe Shields grew interested in keeping the brand alive as they enjoyed driving their Saleen Mustangs.

Shields, who drives a Lizstick red S281 Supercharged Mustang, also told SOEC that they will now be utilizing the resources of their sister companies Cyltec, Power-Tec Engineering, Arrow Racing Engines and Control-Tec. One example is to bring Saleen's supercharger manufacturing in-house. Previously Saleen outsourced key components, such as the screws, from Europe.

In a related story, a proposed "Racecraft" model has been visually presented to Saleen and Ford dealers earlier this year with mixed reviews. While revisions are being made to its appearance package, a new name is also rumored to be assigned to the brand.

About Saleen: Hancock Park Associates, having been controlling stakeholder in Saleen since 2003, sold certain assets (most everything but the S7 program and the paint facility) to MJ Acquistions earlier in 2009. MJ Acquisitions is run by partners Mike and Joe Shields, who have also considered purchasing the Viper brand from Chrysler, which seems a natural as Arrow Racing Engines has provided services for the Viper program in the past. The Hancock Park Associates-owned remainder of Saleen has since changed its name to Plex. MJ Acquisitions is now doing business as Saleen.

About SOEC: The Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club was founded in 1991 and is the premiere organization of Saleen owners with more than 3,000 members worldwide. As the officially-recognized organization for the brand, each new Saleen owner receives a complimentary 1-year membership in SOEC. SOEC's website, http://www.soec.org, gets nearly 40,000 visits a month by owners and enthusiasts alike, enjoying the world's largest historical archive of Saleen-related literature and other resources. SOEC's Saleen Forums has over 1,500 registered users, and is the largest and most active Saleen community online.

-- Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club

Old 05-09-2009
SOEC Member

Hmmm, I like it.
1987 Saleen #223
1980 Mustang
2003 AB Mustang Mach 1 (x2)
Old 05-09-2009
Account with Invalid Email

def NOT feeling that at all

hopefully the real deal will be much nicer
Old 05-09-2009
Administrator

Good stuff! Nice to a consistent article with background story. Interesting concept image.
Old 05-09-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

this is hilarious. They used the dark horse wheels which are NOW Techco's wheels. And the fenders are just vette fenders. Rear body line is off Challenger.
Old 05-09-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06saleenX View Post
def NOT feeling that at all

hopefully the real deal will be much nicer
Given that it's an early working image and not finished, it very likely does not properly portray their final vision. Furthermore that's probably why they didn't want it leaked, since it's clearly a rendering for internal use only and it has some perspective issues as well.

There are some styling elements that are a little unique, and some which may not be able to be executed, but I'm sure I'm not alone in being excited to some day see the real deal!

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 05-15-2009

Looks pretty cool, but does seem to "borrow" a lot of elements from other designs... Definitly looks cool though... Kind of like the greatest hits album of musclecar design elements!

JB
Old 05-15-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Before passing good or bad, I will wait until the real think is released. As far as the one in the picture goes, I did expect something better.
Super Shaker PJ #39 (RW 483HP / 464TQ)
'05 Thunderbird - Inca Gold 1 of 82
'03 Thunderbird - Torch Red
'13 BOSS 302 - School Bus Yellow
with Trackey Option & Seat Delete
Old 05-15-2009

I don't see anything "Saleen" about it....
Old 05-15-2009
Account with Invalid Email

I would live with that. Looks like a Saleen. I like the exhaust and the rear a lot. I'm not feeling the Saleen Dark Horse rims though.
Old 05-15-2009
Administrator

Rumor had it that MJA/Saleen decided not to purchase the Speedstar wheel from the manufacture. Unless they changed their mind, I would expect a different wheel design as things progress.

The fender scoops and the ventless, smooth exterior aero kit are interesting touches.

My feeling of the rendering is more of an upscale, luxury sport/touring car look, Jaguar-ish.

Subtle styling, but I like the three quarter view.
Old 05-16-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

I like many aspects of this sketch, but agree you'd have to see the real thing, or at least a more finalized drawing, to pass judgement.

More interesting to me was the "About Saleen" blurb. SOEC always does a great job on these things, but even good writing can't help make easily understandable the turbulent recent life of the Saleen brand. I was at a Ford dealer this week and the service manager was loudly insisting that Saleen was out of business and had "disappeared forever." I guess given all that has gone on it's easy to see why he's confused.

Personally, I also want to root at least as much for SMS to succeed and survive through these turbulent years. Crazy times for all.
Old 05-16-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D. View Post
More interesting to me was the "About Saleen" blurb. SOEC always does a great job on these things...
From the SOEC volunteer staff, thanks Bob!

We try. Lord knows we try.
Old 05-16-2009
SOEC Member

Default Very nice...

The update keeps some of the 05-08 look, yet adapt to the new Stang lines.

I hope they put it in production by years end.

I would love to see the Saleen brand continue with success.

It benefits us all!

Peace everyone
REDFIRE 2005 #880
Old 05-17-2009

If that is what they would bring out and call it a "Saleen" then I think they are in trouble. This car will follow right behind the Dan Gurney cars that were ugly IMO.

I hope that the final production model has much more styling curves then this one. I feel its very bland and not agressive enough for what Saleen has had in the past.

Them not purchasing the wheels might have something to do with the old Saleen Inc oweing money to the company.

SOEC Member and Supporter
Old 05-18-2009
Suspended Account

This is too funny, they can make new cars but void all existing warranties. THAT IS BS
Old 05-19-2009
SOEC Member

Anything done to the rear end on the stock '010 cannot be any worse..the front/sides/interior look good...what's up with the '010 GT500 front hood plastic inlay? Cheap! You know the drill; hard to find a nice front end matched to a rear!

The Saleen rendering looks great. It completes the front to rear transition. I like the front fender scoops. Roush seems to have once again offered a bunch of nothing with the 427R. A couple of stripes on the side and minor mods.

Just stopped by a dealer on the outskirts where they were displaying two GT500KR's. Both at sticker price. I know of dealers getting 50K over sticker when introduced. Is the economy ever going to recover?
Old 05-19-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMcQueen View Post
...what's up with the '010 GT500 front hood plastic inlay?
The grill extension? The part the mimics the 1968 Shelby design... in front of the hood and build the area around/top of the grill? If so, borrowed the look from '68.
Old 05-20-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

this is somewhat disturbing. It feels like SMS and Saleen will cross lines as far as initial design goes. But it could grow on me.
Old 05-20-2009
SOEC Member

The '010 GT500 has a plastic inlay in the hood between the front end and windshield; closer to the front end and laying cross-car. kind-of sort-of like the Hertz style hood in a way (if that makes sense?). The "past" model had the two small grills closer to the windshield on either side of the hood.
Old 06-13-2009

Came across this today:

striking resemblance?
Old 06-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light02atl View Post
Came across this today:

striking resemblance?

I saw one a few months ago @ Saleen that looked like this but said Saleen under the doors just like the racecraft cars did

same rims and i think same color also I guess they were having problems with the bumpers fitting correctly mounting bolts not lining up or something like that
Old 06-15-2009
SOEC Member

So you have been driving by 15 and Stevenson lately!! Do you ever go to any of the local shows or events?
Old 06-15-2009

Quote:
So you have been driving by 15 and Stevenson lately!! Do you ever go to any of the local shows or events?

Ya ive been around town lately!

Ive been looking for some shows and saw a few I was planning on going to but when they came up they seam to slip my mind untill the day after. Havent really seen very many Sangs out on Woodward on the weekends. Im always looking for a show to go to so if you know of any upcomming LMK.
Old 06-15-2009
SOEC Member

There was a nice show last Sunday at MetroPolitan Park (16 mile and Jefferson). Cars were staged by the beach; nice photo op; there were a ton of cars. Pick up Cruise News (I have a subscription) it gives you all the events going on around town. There is something every day of the week all summer; a lot of which are weekly events. I am not sure what is going on this weekend (Sunday being fathers day is tough).
Old 06-15-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281Saleen View Post
I saw one a few months ago @ Saleen that looked like this but said Saleen under the doors just like the racecraft cars did
Jeff mentioned during Carlisle there is a proposal to offer a serialized Saleen Mustang as well as the S-line pictured above.

While the "Racecraft" brand of vehicles is no more.
Old 06-16-2009

Quote:
There was a nice show last Sunday at MetroPolitan Park (16 mile and Jefferson). Cars were staged by the beach; nice photo op; there were a ton of cars. Pick up Cruise News (I have a subscription) it gives you all the events going on around town. There is something every day of the week all summer; a lot of which are weekly events. I am not sure what is going on this weekend (Sunday being fathers day is tough).

nice thanks ill check that out

ive been kinda out of the car seen loop back in michigan I just moved back home last summer. Ya I kinda figured this weekend there would not be much happening.
Old 06-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Jeff mentioned during Carlisle there is a proposal to offer a serialized Saleen Mustang as well as the S-line pictured above.

While the "Racecraft" brand of vehicles is no more.
The one I saw didnt have the frt bumper on so I cant give a full review but from what I saw it looked perty good The Saleen on the side was differant but I kinda liked it.
Old 06-16-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light02atl View Post
Came across this today:

striking resemblance?
Yes, indeed.

That image is actually in the Ford media archives with credit going to Sam VarnHagen/Ford Motor Co. (12/10/08)

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC: