The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: S-series side skirt quality problem?

Greetings from Finland!

I am preparing S281 side skirt installation to my 2006 Gt. Side skirts came over seas and i made a fast check to see if they are ok and sent them to a paint shop.

Now i see the fitment is out of tolerances. Both skirts are 25 millimeters too long. How this is possible? Anyone seen this before? As these skirts are made of thermoplastic olyfen, i know that molds Saleen uses to manufacture these parts are expensive and every part they make should be the same size as others.
Attached Thumbnails
20170514_200630.jpg  

20170514_212054.jpg  

Old 05-14-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

When i fit the front side like in the lower picture, the rear end shows like upper picture..
Old 05-14-2017
SOEC Member

Yup. They all fit like that sadly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehead View Post
Yup. They all fit like that sadly.
As Lee stated. This is how all the S197 S-series cars looked when new from Saleen. Some people have had the side skirts modified to fit, but this is how the cars looked when new.
Old 05-14-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you for your answers. I can understand few millimeters extra length to make these fit every S197. But this is just too much to handle.. Fox body Mustangs had a two piece side skirts to adjust differences from the factory line tolerances but S197 is totally different thing.

There is a lot of S281 pictures behind the google search showing perfect fit s281 side skirt pictures.

Anyway i expect something better when i buy the real Saleen part and not a cheaper copy brand. I just wrote to Saleen. Time to get my money back.
Old 05-16-2017
Saleen Staff Users

Hello Antti,

I just responded to your email to Saleen Parts. I will share here as well.

Thank you for your inquiry. *It is common for people to think the side skirts are too long, however this is not the case. *The side skirts should be longer in the back. *Some people like to offset them evenly, but our production cars and company cars have the extra length at the rear. *Please let me know if you need anything else!
Fax: 949.491.9941
shebler@saleenperformance.com
Old 05-17-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

At first picture you can see the skirts i am trying to fit and lower picture shows original Saleen S281. As much i do google search i cant find any pictures of original Saleen S281 with too long skirts.
Attached Thumbnails
20170517_165318.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 05-17-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

With all respect Spring Hebler, i think that skirts are too long compared to your production cars. So many pictures just using google search prove it. You cant offset these skirts nicely. As you see in the picture, the front end is perfectly placed but rear end is too long and space between front and rear is too long.

We have at least two original S281's in my country. At the end of the week i have a chance to see one of these cars and measure the skirts.

As far as i see, your production S281 and aftermarket skirts are coming from two different molds.
Old 05-17-2017
Administrator

The skirts were long on the production cars from day one. If the replacement skirts are too long... then they are no different than what you would have found when S197 Saleens were new.

Also, the skirts overhang length are different from side to side. The right and left skirts are of different lengths. This is how they were from new.

Same deal goes with the 2007-08 Heritage front bumper cover. The center body line is like 1/2 or 1/4 off from center. Placing the peak of the bumper cover off center. None of these cars or parts were 100% perfect. Reality of the matter.
Old 05-17-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

Dave, there is zero S281's with too long side skirts if you do Google search. Just checked my skirts, left and right sides are exactly same length. Is there a topic "how to shorten S281 side skirts" if those all Google pictures are fixed ones?
Old 05-17-2017
Saleen Forums Registrant

This picture is straight from this forum and this is original S281? Is this production car with long skirts? I dont think so.. My skirts come in the wheel base by 1 inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20170517-214419.jpg  

Old 05-17-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVER View Post
This picture is straight from this forum and this is original S281? Is this production car with long skirts? I dont think so.. My skirts come in the wheel base by 1 inch.
Not to sound crass... what you think you know... you do not. All of the 2005-09 S-series cars have over-sized side skirts. Period.
Closed Thread