The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2014 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2014 Saleen Mustang For the SN10 platform California-built 2010 SMS 460 and 460X, the 2011-12 SMS 302, and 2013-14 Saleen 4V, SC, SSC and 351.
All Label cars (White Yellow, Black). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-25-2011

Default SMS Mustang Production?

Was curious if Steve's SMS is producing as many Mustangs as Saleen did before he left?
Old 06-25-2011
Administrator

The height of Saleen vehicle production was 2005, 2006, 2007. SS left Saleen Inc in May 2007, and the world economic turmoil started to shift thereafter.

2008 production took a hit, even though the model ranges were increased, and 2009 saw just a hand full of the classic S models produced before the production line stopped in around November 2008.

SMS vehicle production is on par with the competition in today's economic situation, producing about three dozen of each model line for a given model year. A different scenario than the one that produced about 1,500-2,000 Saleen Mustangs yearly from 2005-07.
Old 06-25-2011

Interesting, thanks for the info.
Old 06-26-2011
Account with Invalid Email

I dont see them lasting long with that few vehicles. Couple that with the upgraded Mustang GT, terrible economy. You can buy the base GT and those things are real performers. These signature series are gonna slowly fade.
13 Boss Laguna Seca #738
05 s281 #1401~ Sold
Old 06-26-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char259 View Post
You can buy the base GT and those things are real performers. These signature series are gonna slowly fade.
This is where the new White Label vehicles come into play. Offer a $4,000-$5,000 package with springs, exhaust, air intake, tune and a few styling changes with warranty.

Saleen vehicles were always tied to the economy.
Old 07-20-2011
Account with Invalid Email

Mine's an '06 which may have been the largest production year. From what I can tell they made close to 1500 3V's, 770 SC's and I'm not sure how many extreme's, maybe 60. A rather prolific year for production.
To my knowledge SMS has not made any Mustang SC's yet. That would be 570 hp with his supercharger.
I've researched the 302 engine and found they are using the same rods as the 281. I question whether they could withstand the hp. I spoke to a local tuner who said they have gotten 800 horsepower out of a 302 with only a fuel pump issue. But what about later when it goes KABOOM.
If anyone knows more about the rods in a 302 or what SMS plans to do with the internals I would like to know.
'06 281SC #222
C&L racing cold air intake
3.4 pulley
39# injectors
Shelby dual fuel pump
McLeod twin disk clutch-sweet
Aluminum flywheel
Professional custom dynotune
455 rear wheel horsepower:biggrin:
Child tested
Mother approved
Old 07-20-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
This is where the new White Label vehicles come into play. Offer a $4,000-$5,000 package with springs, exhaust, air intake, tune and a few styling changes with warranty.

Saleen vehicles were always tied to the economy.
Dave is correct. I'm the Shelby GT350 contact in orange county, CA and have only sold one unit, I have had several Shelby GT500's that were aged units that had to be sold for close to true cost to get them out of our inventory.
The dealership is selling about half the total units per year compared to 2005,2006, and 2007.
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks, Tom