The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 1998-2001 XP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1998-2001 XP For the XP6 & XP8 Ford Explorer-based models.

Old 02-17-2017
SOEC Member

Default Q: Speedline magnesium wheel cracks?

I just acquired a set of Speedlines that came off an XP8. The seller said there weren't any cracks (I heard this was an issue). They arrived today and I noticed some of the aluminum inserts for the lugnuts had what looked like the beginning of cracking, none of them went all the way to the back but is this what people refer to when describing Speedline cracks or are mine not serious enough yet? I'll post two pics of what I mean.

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'01 Mustang GT 385whp/385tq
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 02-18-2017
Administrator

I believe you have what are referred to as... cracked wheels. IE: Cracks in the hub area. I believe this is what happened to the Budget rental cars as well.

Some of the XP wheels also disintegrated. Were the disintegrating wheels the Speedline mag copies used on XPs? Was there a Speedline copy for XPs?
Old 02-18-2017
SOEC Member

Thanks for the info Dave. I have no idea about copies or disintegrating Speedlines.

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 02-19-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

I wonder if that can be repaired since none went all the way to the back. Are the cracks caused because of the weight of the Explorer or possibly over tightening the lugs? Or was is it a problem with Speedlines?
Old 02-19-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelsXP8 View Post
I wonder if that can be repaired since none went all the way to the back. Are the cracks caused because of the weight of the Explorer or possibly over tightening the lugs? Or was is it a problem with Speedlines?
With the Budget rentals, the use of air ratchet to tighten lug nuts busted hub area.
Old 02-19-2017
SOEC Member

I've heard for years now, from XP owners mainly, about cracked Speedlines but I have yet to hear if/how they repaired them which surprises me in a community as knowledgeable as this. You'd think it would be a matter of popping out the old cracked sleeves and putting new ones in. Ime hoping that's all it is.
The original owner of mine who I bought it from said they were recalled by Saleen.

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 02-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
With the Budget rentals, the use of air ratchet to tighten lug nuts busted hub area.
Oh no wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1stang View Post
I've heard for years now, from XP owners mainly, about cracked Speedlines but I have yet to hear if/how they repaired them which surprises me in a community as knowledgeable as this. You'd think it would be a matter of popping out the old cracked sleeves and putting new ones in. Ime hoping that's all it is.
The original owner of mine who I bought it from said they were recalled by Saleen.
I think most, if not all Speedlines were recalled but many owners decided to keep them anyway. Seeing those cracks in the lug area makes me wonder if mine are like that too. Ive had them in storage so Ill take a look. Wish Speedline "Magnesium Style" wheels were still being made since we can't get the Magnesium ones anymore.
Old 02-20-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

To find somebody to just "paint Magnesium" wheels is difficult. To find one that will repair also? Good luck 🍀
Old 02-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenster View Post
To find somebody to just "paint Magnesium" wheels is difficult. To find one that will repair also? Good luck 🍀
Check out RTP Customs. They can paint/powder coat the wheels.
Old 02-20-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelsXP8 View Post
Check out RTP Customs. They can paint/powder coat the wheels.
I had The Foxshoppe do them, thanks though