The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 1998-2001 XP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1998-2001 XP For the XP6 & XP8 Ford Explorer-based models.

Old 08-11-2012
SOEC Member

Default Q: Anyone tow with an XP8?

Does anyone have any experience towing with a supercharged XP8, or a n/a version for that matter?

I'm curious if I'd have the ability to trailer a car with it and/or what the max weight would be.

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'01 Mustang GT 385whp/385tq
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 08-27-2012
SOEC Member

Andy,

I have towed a double axle open car trailer with my '88 Saleen on it all over the eastern side of the US. My XP8 is normally aspirated and does fine except on steep hills where she may loose a little speed. The rest of the time she rolls along on cruise at 65-70 mph. I have the Ford hitch. I don't remember the tow capacity but I think it was about 11,000-12,000 gvwt. I'm probably around 9,000.
Old 08-27-2012
SOEC Member

Thanks for the info. Interesting you say it's fine since I talked to my mechanic buddy and he seemed to think the truck had the power but not the ability to maintain enough control at freeway speeds. Braking, he seemed to think, would also be an issue compared to something bigger like an Expedition or F150.

What's the hitch you speak of? Is it the class III hitch with the square hole that mounts under the bumper?

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 10-08-2012
SOEC Member

Andy,

Sorry to take so long to reply but I hadn't opened the XP8 section recently. My concern in the beginning was that I had always towed with either an F 150 or a Dakota PU and was worried about the shorter wheelbase making it a querky ride. The hitch is the class 3 available from the Ford dealers and a square receiver below the bumper. My trailer has electric brakes with an adjustable bias control. Also I tow a small runabout boat on a single axle trailer with no brakes. Being a track guy I thought Performance Friction front pads would be a better choice especially slowing on long hills where you have to ride the brakes. This set up workes fine for me no fade and stable ride.
Old 10-08-2012
SOEC Member

Good stuff to know, thanks. I don't have a class III on there yet. I was thinking about hauling the Mustang out to the Sturgis rally but it ended up being a blast out there w/o it. Next year maybe.

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 05-02-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

I would also be interested if anyone has towed with a supercharged Xp8?
Old 04-16-2016
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

SaleenRacer when you were towing your 1988 Saleen around was it on a standard trailer or an aluminum car hauler? I know I have a friend that has a trailer he uses that weighs 4000 lbs. But I have seen some nice aluminum car haulers that weigh between 1500 and 2000 lbs depending on length.
Old 05-17-2016
SOEC Member

Default Towing with XP-8

GB,

I tow an open steel trailer which weighs in at about 1,100 lbs. You could save some weight by going to an open aluminum trailer but a box trailer of either construction might be too heavy for the XP8. If you could get an aluminum box at 1,500 as you suggest you would likely be ok.
TGVW=car (~3800)+Trailer+XP8 As I recall the max was about 10,000 lbs
Old 11-02-2016

What make and model steel trailer do you have that weighs that little? I only see aluminum trailers that weigh that little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen Racer View Post
GB,

I tow an open steel trailer which weighs in at about 1,100 lbs. You could save some weight by going to an open aluminum trailer but a box trailer of either construction might be too heavy for the XP8. If you could get an aluminum box at 1,500 as you suggest you would likely be ok.
TGVW=car (~3800)+Trailer+XP8 As I recall the max was about 10,000 lbs
Old 11-24-2016
SOEC Member

My trailer was custom built here in Ohio for a Mustang wheelbase. Its a ramp type with torsion axles. The weigh ticket for license in Ohio is right at 1,100 lbs. Maybe the flat beds weigh more.
Old 11-25-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

I have a question for those that have trailer hitches installed on their XP8: What is the best hitch to use for the XP8? I'd like to have a hidden hitch that won't rub too much on the rear bumper AND still have a spare tire behind it. I've heard some hitches don't allow for a full size spare tire to be used under the vehicle.
Old 11-26-2016
SOEC Member

Ford had a class 3 under bumper hitch kit for the explorer which uses round tubing stock rather than the square channel material used by other manufacturers. I am not sure they still have the kit available. (F87Z 19D520 AA). The hitch didn't require any drilling of the frame and no interference with the spare.
Old 03-20-2017

Does anyone that is towing a car hauler behind an Explorer use a weight distributing hitch? Or just the standard ball mount?