The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 1998-2001 XP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1998-2001 XP For the XP6 & XP8 Ford Explorer-based models.

Old 12-30-2012
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Project: Saleen/Alcon calipers with Brembo rotors

I am sick and tired of the warped Alcon rotors on my XP8, in the lifespan, which is extremely short( approx 18K mls) I have to resurface/mill them 2-3 times.
the problem is that the ribs inside the rotors are causing the vibrations, meaning the heat just can't get out of the rotors properly, and the only way to avoid this is a 2 pce design.
i am just guessing that on the mustangs the problem is about the same..

so, if any of you guys is interested I am going to have a my Alcon rotors replaced by 2 pce brembo's.
I will have the hats CNC'd so that a stock brembo rotor ring will fit and the correct offset is obtained.
I will get you guys the brembo part # and you will only have to get the 2 hats from me.
let me know if you're interested, If we make 2-3 sets I should be able to get a good price for the production costs.

Hennie
Old 12-30-2012
SOEC Member

I am interested but I will also need calipers and mounting brackets. Plus mine is a 2wd which is far less common than the awd which I have heard are not the same rotors. May just go brembo all the way if I can get the part numbers for the calipers and it will not break the bank.
Old 12-31-2012

in your case I would just take an existing system which is working properly, like brembo, stoptech or wilwood.

Hennie
Old 12-31-2012
SOEC Member

Hennie,

Do you have the parts numbers for any of them? Pads and/or rotors?

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-03-2013

the Alcon part numbers?

Hennie
Old 01-03-2013
SOEC Member

Alcon or Brembo, either way.
1998 Saleen Explorer 98-01 Sold
1998 Saleen Explorer 98-22 Sold
1999 Saleen Explorer 99-19 Sold
2000 Saleen Explorer 00-29 Sold
Old 01-30-2013
Saleen Forums Participant

Is the backspacing on the xp8 the same as mustang?
If yes then I would be interested in a set. Depending on cost. But with $1,000.00 to work with I think you are on the right path.
Old 01-30-2013
SOEC Member

I believe the 4 wheels on the XP8 are the same as the rear wheels on the 94-98 Mustang with the 8.5" rear wheels for vehicles with the Speedline Magnesium wheels. Both are 18 x 8.5 with the same backspacing. The fronts are different, more backspacing on the Mustangs than the XP8.
1998 Saleen Explorer 98-01 Sold
1998 Saleen Explorer 98-22 Sold
1999 Saleen Explorer 99-19 Sold
2000 Saleen Explorer 00-29 Sold
Old 09-26-2013

Well I got the 2 pcs brake kit complete, next week I will install it and you all know how it works, will be a strange sensation not having warped rotors after 10 yrs I also have some new caliper brackets produced.
here is a link,
http://shop.lekimportcars.nl/index.p...product_id=265

Hennie
Old 09-29-2013
SOEC Member (Inactive)

I have a 13" Saleen/Alcon XP8 Calipers and Steel Mounting Brackets kit. All you will need are new Alcon Rotors from Streetwise, new Steel Braided Brake Lines from Goodyear and new Hawk Pads. The Alcon rotors are the same as the 96-99 Saleen Mustang Alcon kit but the centers are machined to accept and fit on the Explorer.

Hennie, why not just put new Alcon rotors on? I know my Porsche Cayenne Turbo S came from the factory with rotors that warped and it was crazy as Porsche would not change them out say, well they work and are not a safety hazard. New rotors are working fine There was some bad batches of rotors at times out there due to materials used. The new rotors do not have those same problems to the same degree.
Old 09-29-2013

Hi Rick,

it's no problem getting the Alcon rotors, it's just the quality that sucks. the last set I got was coming warped from the factory!
It was that set that made me decide to build something else that would be easy to service with parts readily available and less prone to warping, so 2pce.
all sets I had on the XP8 lasted approx 14K mls and at around 6-7 K mls I always had them machined because the pads were worn and by that time the warping cuasing huge vibration in the car, so machining and ne pads and they were good for their last piece of life.

Hennie
Old 12-17-2013

As the true Saleen story should be... it didn't work out as planned.

I had the hats made and bolted the rotors to it, 10 bolts in each and torqued at 8Nm, so ready to install and hit the road...
Well not really, it did hit about anything it could hit bu the road, for some reason the bolt holes were not measured correct
As I wanted to have it right this time, i took it all off the car, unbolted the hub as well and went to another shop who could do some serious milling and machining.
So we measured it all again, and found some interesting things.
The hats were made according the original Alcon rotors, but to our surprise the inside of the hat and stock alcon rotors are too tight and their diameter is 2mm short compared to the flange of the hub, so it will never slide over exactly since it is too tight, and will always be wiggling, the problem is that you just don't feel it when you install the brakes.
we made the new hats in such way that it fits the hub flange exactly and also an exact fit around the bolts and center, it now really needs copper paste to make sure it will come off again.
So I bolted both sides on this afternoon, made a test drive and finally I have the brakes I was looking for, no vibration and really impressive brakes!!

I know not much of the XP's are running the big brake alcon kits any more, but at least for those who wants to reinstall them, it can be done safely now. If you have a caliper set I can get you the brackets and 2 pce rotors with the correct offset.

finally..
Old 03-06-2016

Hey Hennie,

can you post the part numbers and and off set for the brembo rotors?

thank you
Old 03-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen XP8 View Post
Hey Hennie,

can you post the part numbers and and off set for the brembo rotors?

thank you
http://shop.lekimportcars.nl/index.p...product_id=265

This link was from hennie on another site.

For what it's worth, I took some 96 heavy duty corvette rotors, had them drilled for the explorer pattern (bought a hub in junkyard), center bore slightly opened up and spent about $1500 less on the custom rotors, and about $1000 less than alcon rotors.
Opens up the rotor choices by hundreds and there is no worries about warping or needing a new set in 12,000 miles.
Sold xp8 2000 #30, all options including alcons
Old 03-07-2016
SOEC Member

Joe, great to see you here. I still want to complete this project someday also...

'98 XP8 98-0056
'02 S281E 02-0012
'01 Mustang GT 385whp/385tq
'03 SVT Focus
'04 SVT Focus
Old 03-11-2016

Thank you Joe. How are the rotors holding up?
Old 03-11-2016

Quote:
Thank you Joe. How are the rotors holding up?
Seem to work just fine. They are relatively thick vented rotors.
Since they are mainstream, you can get just about any brand you want (although many are just brembo rotors with slots and drills).

I also use street pads and I don't exactly drive it like a race car. Does it stop better? Yeah.
But how often are you really panic braking.

The value in these imo is in the looks. Adds quite a bit of style to the truck. Mine are red which also leads me to believe saleen screwed up by making the originals in black which blend into the backround.
Old 03-11-2016

Joe, do you have the exact specs on the rotors? How much do i have to take out of the center etc?
Old 03-13-2016

Quote:
Joe, do you have the exact specs on the rotors? How much do i have to take out of the center etc?
I'll dig the hub out of the garage in the next couple days and measure.
But the bolt pattern is the same as a mustang.

IMO, you should just go on ebay and buy an awd hub and spindle.
They are only like $50 and they will give you the ability to build the setup on a work bench as opposed to taking your truck apart and experimenting.