The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-18-2016
SOEC Member

Default Q: Exhaust? - 1989 Saleen Mustang

Alright, I've searched the forums about the header question, found some answers from years ago, but maybe not what I was looking for....

As part of the cosmetic refreshing of 89-587, I'm going to be changing some of the major exhaust components. First, I've got a set of Holley Shorty Ceramic Coated headers. I don't want long tube, and my OE exhaust manifolds are fairly rusty.

So question 1, the exhaust manifolds on my car look the be tube style shorty headers, is this the original manifold of the LX 5.0/Saleen? Or, is this a Saleen specific component (that I should keep and store because it was original to the car)?

Question 2, I noticed last year at some point when I had the car on the lift that my mufflers have Ford part numbers on them. Are these the original mufflers? I stumbled across an old thread here last night that stated that Saleen used Walker systems. This is great, because I actually like the tone, sound and non-obnoxiousness of the Super-Turbo muffler and actually have already purchased a Dynomax Cat-Back system for my car in 2.25" (which sounds like it would be close to original Saleen?). So that is my question...if these are OE mufflers would they have FORD Part numbers, or was the Dynomax system OE on an 89 Saleen?

For reference, this is the Dynomax system I ordered for my car: Dynomax Super Turbo System for LX 5.0
1976 Mustang Cobra II 302EFI
1965 Volvo 1800S

Sold
1994 Acura NSX (SOLD)
1997 Saleen S281 Convertible 97-0158 (SOLD)
1989 Saleen Convertible 89-0587 (SOLD)
Old 03-18-2016
Administrator

First: I would save all the original exhaust components that you remove. I would also not cut these pieces for removal.

Ford introduced a standard factory "shorty" header for the 5-liter H.O. in 1985. All of the 5.0 H.O. EFI Ford Mustangs from 1986 through 1993 feature a factory header.

In 1989 Saleen/Ford Motorsport introduced an improved shorty header into the aftermarket. This header was standard equipment on the 1989 Saleen SSC. This header was also sold through the Ford Motorsport catalog of parts.

All standard model Saleen Mustangs feature an OE Ford Mustang exhaust system. From headers to tailpipes.

In 1989, Saleen offered as standard equipment, Walker DynoMax SuperTurbo mufflers on the SSC. The stock Ford mufflers were removed with SuperTurbos welded into both the existing OE intermediate and tailpipes. This was not a complete replacement cat-back kit.

Closing: I would not cut and save the factory Ford cat-back if the assembly is in serviceable condition. Both for originality and for what a nice OE used system in worth.
Old 03-18-2016
Administrator

PS:

If you are looking to stay OE looking. You may have to source a pair of stainless steel tailpipes. Walker/DynoMax use to offer a nice pair of steel/stainless combo pipes that mimicked the OE Ford pipes (but with better bending).

See the join/seem between stainless and steel pipe?
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2016
SOEC Member

DONT CUT THIS! If indeed this is an uncut OEM exhaust, I've heard of nos, or near nos, sell for $1000-2000. They are similar to the rear quarter Windows for notchbacks. Just not many out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpkrp View Post

Question 2, I noticed last year at some point when I had the car on the lift that my mufflers have Ford part numbers on them. Are these the original mufflers? 0[/url]